ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

John’s first Clio 172 (light resto project)

Altea / PH2 172
On the 9th or 10th of February I started looking at Clio 172 and 182 cars with a view to bringing one back to Leicester. After a false start involving a deal done on a 182, that was sold to somebody else (why is there no integrity anymore?), I woke up on Monday 11th February, started looking for a car to buy and within a couple of hours I was on the way to Taunton to do a deal on RY53 AYE. By teatime it was parked outside the house.

Not since the ex-Mrs John had a 1.2 Expression, had I driven a Clio.

My daily commute can be a round trip of 80 miles depending on where I’m working, making a diesel almost essential and, daily, I drive a 2007 Seat Altea FR with a few mods (wheels, coil overs, RARB, ALK, big brakes) that I pulled off my mk2 Octavia when I broke it. With the Altea marooned 50 miles away until the weekend, I’ve commuted in my new to me phase 2 172. On a good day, I get 45-47 mpg out of the Altea. On a bad day, it’s 38 - so imagine my surprise and delight to discover that my return trip from work up the M1 in the 172 delivered me home dead on 40 mpg.

So the car - it’s a 99,000 mile Flame Red phase 2 172, first registered on the 11th November 2003, and appears to be completely stock save for an optional 6 disc CD changer and a set of 182 wheels. It came with 363 days’ MOT and a stack of paperwork as thick as a phone book, including a couple of bits of paper work that have brought a small amount of concern, notably a report that shows after No. 2 injector was changed, compression on 1, 2 and 4 was 190psi and 150psi on No. 3 cylinder. I guess this is something that needs to be investigated. Other that, it’s had quite a lot money thrown at it over the years including a new throttle body and crank position sensor.

There are things that need to be addressed fairly soon, and this thread will act as a reminder for me to keep track of the things I’ve done and what’s outstanding.

First off, I need to:

Fix the headlight washers and rear washer;
Replace the baggy driver’s seatbelt;
Fix the passenger seat (it didn’t lock in place and when I tried to push the adjuster bar down, I pulled it off but at least the seat doesn’t move);
Fix the buzzing interior temperature sensor in the interior light unit;
Replace a CV boot;
Sort a new pair of front tyres and have the alignment done;
Replace the boot struts (they take a bit of effort to lift the tailgate);
Do the belts and dephaser as these were last done at 45k;
Find out what’s going on with the compression issue;
Decide whether the clutch needs doing - I don’t know whether I’m just not used to it, but the clutch seems quite heavy and with quite a high bite point;
Check the brakes with the car in the air as they feel like they’re binding a bit.

The things I’d like to do include:

A cheap head unit with DAB and Bluetooth connectivity for phone calls and streaming music;
Dash cam;
Sort out the paint;
A set of springs (Eibachs or whatever the recommended ones ought to do it);
Inspect the dampers and exhaust and replace them if necessary.

And then, if funds allow or I find the stuff cheap:

A pair of buckets and harnesses;
Decent track happy pads, discs and fluid;
Couple of light cosmetic touches and a spare set of track wheels and rubber.

In the meantime, here’s a couple of photos

DFB3E7C6-798B-462A-87C9-61FBB3C0C251.jpeg
39209164-57F8-4E58-BF74-36C0BF7E547F.jpeg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I commented on this on Facebook, looks very tidy! Doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the paintwork in those pics. I've replaced the shocks on my new Flamer with cup shocks and Grams springs with new rainsport 3s - quite a difference! I'm in need of a bonnet and a bit of pdr even then it'll be a bit of a scruff.

I should have done a project thread on mine really as it's been some ordeal.

Altea / PH2 172
Cheers Dom
Front bumper needs a repaint, there are a couple of marks over the rear arch and by the drivers door handle, and a little dent in the bonnet.
I might get a set of phase 1 15s for track use because you can pick up a full set of Michelin PS3s for £130.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Here's mine on cup shocks and Grams springs

Attachments

• 20190203_164134.jpg
    20190203_164134.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 221
  • 20190203_164244.jpg
    20190203_164244.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 207
  • 20190203_164218.jpg
    20190203_164218.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 261
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi mate just ordered a new set of cup shocks and top mounts what are the grams springs like with them as thinking of ordering some

Altea / PH2 172
You might have to ask Dom directly mate, I’ve done nothing to mine yet - trying to redistribute some funds to get started. I’ve figured for the time being mine won’t be losing a penny, so as long as I keep it running it’ll be alright [emoji23]

Clio 172 Cup
I intended that mate when I bought my cup and then the upgrades started and now I can’t sleep at night lol got all these things running through my head as to where I want to get the car too, handling needs upgrading for sure now