ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Joy oh such joy 1.2 16v playing up again

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

oooh its pissing oil out of the rocker cover

new gasket me thinks

nice easy job!!

How olds your car mate? You havent had much luck!!! Mine goes in again next week they replaced the clutch pedal and now I get a juddering when I pull away!!! Renault staff are so well trained and always complete the job to the highest standard, NOT!!!

lol, is this car we have a world record for the most unreliable piece of s*** since the Trabant?!?

Hope you get it all sorted under warranty mate.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

nah its not all the staff

no it was my fault i over filled it

warranty? nah f**k that they will have it for weeks

cant be that hard im gonna have a go myself

K-tec will supply an uprated head gasket set, its probably about as cheap as a new head gasket would be from Renault parts. Are you replacing it or have you got necessary tools to carry out a repair job on it?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Noo rocker cover gasket

not head gasket jesus that would be sh*tty

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

what?

it has the highest mileage of the 1.2 16vs (33700)

the engine is sweet its just the boxes that go

that engine has NEVER gone kaput (except for once but that was a kill switch) the gasket is £5 fitting it is £not really to fun

Ah right, Im with you! Now rereading your post I see the bit about the rocker cover above the word gasket! :oops:Well, fair enough, thats one Im sure you could attempt yourself! (armed with a roll of sellotape and a screwdriver! ;)! I would have been well impressed if you were gonna attempt a head gasket repair yourself! I jumped to the conlusion it was that after that big scare before about the mayonnaise in the filler cap!

somehow my 1st gearbox is still in A1 condition, and i give it death everywhere i go (mpg of 33.5 over 2k miles)

i think fred may be pushing you for the high miler award

though my 8k in 5 months isnt too bad

Saying about gearboxes, what goes wrong wiv them? My cars done 3300k now and I have a judder when I pull away, also how far should the gearlever move when im accelerating/deaccelerating? I swear its been moving more since it started juddering!!!

there is a massive swing in the gear lever when you gun it, then back off

me and fred compared both boxes and found no difference whatsoever

it seems quite alot of clio boxes have decided to blow holes in the side of the housing leaving a nice pool of transmission fluid behind

Oh thats all perfectly normal Billabong! Scares everyone sh*tless at first, then you soon discover aint one other new shape Clio owner without exactly the same thing happening! Every time you come on or off the throttle the gearstick moves about 2" and you can never get a smooth take-off or gearchange.

SO what is causing the juddering then? I have it now too, (5 mnths & 9K). But my aunts old clio sport (W - reg) done it for ever and never broke.

Its the whole engine moving about on the loose mounts as far as I can tell. Its just a quirk of the design of the car rather than a problem, but it can cause the exhaust to flex too much at the manifold, and therefore the seal breaks at this joint.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by tomclio1.2 on 20 May 2003

nah its not all the staff

no it was my fault i over filled it

warranty? nah f**k that they will have it for weeks

cant be that hard im gonna have a go myself
Strange this because ...

I get a call last Saturday from Tom saying, "I have done an oil change on my car and I have just noticed the rocker cover gasket blowing oil onto the exhaust"

At no point did Tom mention he over filled it

BTW Tom you are about as subtle as a breeze block through a window

I hope that mine has eben written off. I dont want it back and will never own a renault again (unless the insurance company will insure me on the 172 exclusive on the forecourt;))

I think the 1.2 16V is only any good if you drive like miss daisy, or my mum

Quite right. The only problem is, they dont really market the car to Miss Daisy or your mum! They call it a Sport, give it sporty add-ons like bucked seats and alloys, sports handling pack, etc. and then give free insurance to young drivers on it!

I dont know whats causing the juddering, the gearlever moves a bit more than it used to but I dont know if its due to it being run in, they are looking at it next friday, so I shall update you on what they say. I reckon the mountings have become a bit looser causing it to move more, whatever the cause they WILL be fixing it!!!

S

SoundWave

I have done almost 47000 miles in my March 2001 Mk2 1.2 16v (not dynamic) and had no problems at all until a few weeks ago when it stalled on me while I was driving along. Reno had a look and said it was a loose wire. It happened again the week after and now they have had it over two weeks while waiting for a new part!! (not sure what). They replaced a pressure sensor but it didnt help. Think they are looking at the ECU.

But I thought 47K with no probs was quite good... No gear box problems and I do rag my car totally....