ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jumps out of gear and pops

A grey one
Right, damsel in major distress, bloody French car living up to its name! bare with me please! I don't have a clue what's wrong with the heap of junk-.-
Thankfully the first time it's ever broken but I'm expecting it to be expensive:(

My cat has been pretty dead for a while, i ignored it because the light was turned off and a gasket was changed which fixed it and it came back on and i didnt think anything of it.. Today like 400 miles since it came back on it smelt a bit funny which made me think of the cat, but at 2000 revs it judders and tries to jump out of gear, it's absolutely fine if I drive at 3000+ revs but obviously.. Drinks fuel-.- when I'm say still, it pops and bangs.. It's now decided its got an idling issue aswell, sounds like its misfiring, I've been told either clutch, gearbox, lambda sensors... I don't know what it is, anyone have any idea? :(

I dont know if this is of any help but i had an issue with mine about 2 months back. It would judder and hold back when i was accelerating in all gears until i was higher in the revs. It would also pop and bang and generally run like a heap of s**t just on tickover! A mate of mine told me it was running on 3 cylinders or something. I tried everything under the sun (looking for the cheapest solution possible!) as i had a feeling it was something simple like a blockage in the system. Changed the coilpacks and it ran fine after that. As i say, dont know if that'll help or not but it sounds similar to a problem i had!

TGB

15' Clio Cup/4Series
Yeah thats exactly what mine does! Its horrible :( I'm gonna change the coilpack and if that doesn't sort it it's probably the lambda sensor, Thankyou:)

Erm just a gasket on the cat? Not really sure but it made it pass it's mot, and the engine management light!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
the only time my old one ever popped and banged/ran like s**t was when the spark plugs were flooded.

wouldnt go over 3k and made a hell of a racket lol. was constantly trying to stall... so a being stationary on a hill without taking my foot off the accelerator was difficult lol.

is there any way water couldve got in your engine?

A grey one
that sounds like fun up a hill, haha rather you than me :p
no i shouldnt think so, and at 3k its fine, its strange, its only at 2k its the worst and below that, sounds like a chugging train popping and misfiring especially standing still, above 3k, like normal!

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Cars just wear out it's Not because it's French. One single pin in the middle of a 20pin multiplug rotted on my 106 that's when French wierdness comes into it.

When was it last serviced? Coilpacks are easy enough to change but may not fix the problem if the spark plugs are knackered or the leads are past it.

A lambda sensor usually causes problems during normal running. It's not used over certain rpms or throttle positions and not when cold. Emissons will read high if cat is fecked. Lambda sensors and cats don't last forever. You have to expect to change them at some point. All cars do is cost money and wear out.

A grey one
Im having my coilpack and plugs changed Monday, so fingers crossed he'll be fixed!
And the garage said it wasn't my cat because it was reading fine, and so were the lambda sensors, hopefully it's the coilpack:)
Totally agreed with "all cars do is wear out and cost money" though!

And! Why does it look like I've sold up? My baby is still happily said on my drive :p

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Fingers crossed that's all it is. Get them to check for any water ingress as well. I drove my 306 through a massive puddle way too fast for a laugh and then it dropped to 2 cylinders and I had go round with some water dispersant from a local garage to get it running well enough to get up the hill it stopped on. Lesson learned that's for sure.

A grey one
Fingers crossed that's all it is. Get them to check for any water ingress as well. I drove my 306 through a massive puddle way too fast for a laugh and then it dropped to 2 cylinders and I had go round with some water dispersant from a local garage to get it running well enough to get up the hill it stopped on. Lesson learned that's for sure.

That does not sound like fun. I'll get it checked, thanks pal:)

Ah! Yeah I see why, hehe my car is blue! That is indeed the other halfs :)