ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just a question about Iron X...

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Hi guys relatively new to any kind of detailing... just getting tips off here really! First thing I've bought is Iron X as I got some brand new 2118's 6 months ago and I'd like to take care of them :approve:

All I'm planning to do with the Iron X is to spray it on whilst I'm jet washing the car. My question is at what stage... am I better of wetting the wheels first then spraying and allowing to soak before rubbing and washing off? Or shall I spray it on before I touch the wheels, or should I clean the wheels properly first and then just spray the Iron X on to get the last few bits off?

Sorry for 21 questions... cheers for any advice!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I would normally have washed the wheels first before applying IX so that only engrained brake dust is left for the IX to react with.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Okay thanks... do you mean wash as in just sprayed over with water or actually cleaning intensively with a brush etc?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'm presuming cleaning properly first.

That's what I did anyway. Sprayed on cleaner. Agitated with brush and rinsed then sprayed with iron x and left for 5 mins or so. Then agitated with brush and left a little longer then rinsed.

That's what I done. Hope that's right? Correct me if I'm wrong anyway

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm presuming cleaning properly first.

That's what I did anyway. Sprayed on cleaner. Agitated with brush and rinsed then sprayed with iron x and left for 5 mins or so. Then agitated with brush and left a little longer then rinsed.

That's what I done. Hope that's right? Correct me if I'm wrong anyway

Yep same way I done mine, but I rinsed between the cleaner and iron x :)

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Yep same way I done mine, but I rinsed between the cleaner and iron x :)

So do I? Read again ;)

And Ye it proper stinks. I could smell it coming out my hair when I showered. Hands stunk too

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
This tbh. When I first used it I too made the mistake of pouring it over my head?

Haha Ye I see that looks really wrong now reading it back. It was from when I was crouched down spraying the wheels the spray must've got in my hair a little. Same as how it was over my hands too. It must've bounced off alloy or something. Mind you, I did spray my whole car when I did it

Golf GT & A4 Avant
IronX is not a wheel cleaner, it is solely for removing iron fallout. it doesn't do a great job of cutting through the typical road grime and tar etc that you should be using a dedicated wheel cleaner or strong shampoo dilution before using an iron remover.

If you use IX or other iron removers as a wheel cleaner you wont get the full strength of it as it will need to break through the grime before it attacks the iron so is a waste of product.

going one step further, seal them properly and you won't need anything more than shampoo or citrus based products;
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?683018-Why-you-should-use-a-decent-wheel-sealant

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Well I chuck some Mer on the wheels after I've cleaned them! But as I said I'm kinda new to this detailing lark...