ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just a Quickie..

Ive read all the post regarding which oil to use for my 172, but am still confused ! I obviously dont want to damage the car so will this be OK ?

Carlube Triple R Fully Synth 5w 40

The car has done just over 5K and I dont want to leave it to 12K as renault suggests..

I should take about 4.5 litres ? right

many thanks

172, Tiguan

bit early for fully synth. Id leave it until 12k before you put that in, but stick with semi synth untill then.

thanks guys - thats what I dont understand I always thought that you used fully synth if you were looking after something ?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I think its to do with the fact that there is so little friction with fully synthetic, that it stops the engine "bedding in" properly. So with a new engine its better to stick with a lower grade oil so that all the surfaces can mate together...once thats done (and it should be by 12,000) move to fully synthetic to keep it sweet.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

No...

5W40 is too thin (see Renault tech doc stating 5w is a no no)
Carlube aint the best stuff out there
Not enough miles on the clock to switch to fully synth
If you wanna do an intermediate oil & filter change, then use a good 10W40 semi-synthetic oil thats ACEA A3 approved.

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 28 October 2003

No...

5W40 is too thin (see Renault tech doc stating 5w is a no no)
Carlube aint the best stuff out there
Not enough miles on the clock to switch to fully synth
If you wanna do an intermediate oil & filter change, then use a good 10W40 semi-synthetic oil thats ACEA A3 approved.
Good work fella, nice to see some knowledge!!!