ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought a 172, having doubts!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
As stated just bought a nice 172 Monaco for cheap. I reckon it needs the belts doing..the dephaser is rattling. Receipt from 2012 for the belts. Just thinking I may just get rid of it, was blinded by the cheap price. Is there any point spending £600 on getting the belts done when that's what the car cost? Really thinking I should either sell it or break it. Has 10 months mot and actually goes really well. Owes me around £750, thoughts?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As stated just bought a nice 172 Monaco for cheap. I reckon it needs the belts doing..the dephaser is rattling. Receipt from 2012 for the belts. Just thinking I may just get rid of it, was blinded by the cheap price. Is there any point spending £600 on getting the belts done when that's what the car cost? Really thinking I should either sell it or break it. Has 10 months mot and actually goes really well. Owes me around £750, thoughts?
So at £1350 all in, the car will be a good one and you'd be pleased with it?

That sounds like a cheap car to me.

£1,350 doesn't buy a lot these days. If you've driven it home 400 miles and you're happy with everything else on the car, I'd spend the money.
If the belts are at the top of a long list if jobs, punt it on for what it owes you.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If the car is nice, like you said in every other aspect except the belts, get the belts and dephaser done and you'll have a nice car at the end of the day for not much money

PH2 RS172
its always a let down in situations like this, but realistically £1200 odd quid wont get you a 172 with belts and dephaser done, so provided the cars tidy in all other aspects id get it done myself. what mileage has it done?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I was in the same boat with a Monaco that was £700. It would have been worth it if the car was tidy and looked after but it was a nail so decided it wasn't worth it.

330i. E30 Touring.
I'd run it into the ground.

Spending the same amount on maintenance isn't worth it for me.

Drive it around until the belts do go, sell for £350, it's cost you £400. Use that money you would have spent on belts to then buy a thousand pound 172. Repeat process until they're going up in value.

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
or slam a new engine in for a few hundred quid.
Depends on the condition of the rest of the car I guess.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
You should have robbed a bank and bought my Monaco Chris ;)

Imo spending the same amount on the car to fix it does kind of put me off. But depends once that money is spent will the car be spot on? Does it need anything else spending?

As above £1300 buys you not very much. Yeah there are plenty of clios 'cheap' but unfortunatly 9 times out of 10 it gets 'expensive'.

Buy cheap, buy twice sadly.

On a thinking out loud stage mine is very good for the money, may reavaluate the price lol.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
You should have robbed a bank and bought my Monaco Chris :wink:

Imo spending the same amount on the car to fix it does kind of put me off. But depends once that money is spent will the car be spot on? Does it need anything else spending?

As above £1300 buys you not very much. Yeah there are plenty of clios 'cheap' but unfortunatly 9 times out of 10 it gets 'expensive'.

Buy cheap, buy twice sadly.

On a thinking out loud stage mine is very good for the money, may reavaluate the price lol.
Lol I know mate. I couldn't have had yours with the modifications though. Sadly couldn't afford the insurance so had to go standard!!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Chances are it will be gone tonight Chris. Dont get me wrong there is zero issues with the car, its very tidy and goes like the clappers. But a car has come up i would have tried before the flamer so all things being equal i will have a new car by the weekend.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Chances are it will be gone tonight Chris. Dont get me wrong there is zero issues with the car, its very tidy and goes like the clappers. But a car has come up i would have tried before the flamer so all things being equal i will have a new car by the weekend.
Good effort mate. It looks a stunner that flamer. Really is lovely but as you say if a car comes up that you just want then go for it, you'll regret it if you don't. Do you mind me asking what it is?