ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought a new car

Hello all.

Last month i put my deposit down on a new Skoda Fabia vRS. (Yes i know its a skoda and yes it is a diesel) But after a phone call to Lloyds TSB CarSelect it turns out it wont be delivered till sometime in may. :( So as my current Clio Dynamique is part of the funds for the Skoda, I need to sell it as soon as. The longer i have it the less it will be worth. So time to buy a runabout for the next 6 months.

I needed something for around a grand and it had to be nippy. The answer was a Renault 19 1.8 16v. A clio 16v was just outside my budget. So today i bought one for £1195. Its a 1993 L-reg Saloon. 78,000 miles on the clock with one owner from new. The body work is in A1 condition. The service book has been stamped upto around 46,000 miles. It does have a sticker on the engine saying the next service is due on 79,000 so it must of been serviced aroung 67,000. i think. Anyway the test drive showed that the clutch was on it way out. So i manged to persuade the dealer to fit a new clutch, cambelt, oil service and a 12 month MOT.

Should pick it up nexted weekend. Ill try and get some pics up.

O one question. As i never got round to fitting my Cliosport sticker on the clio can i fit it on the R19.

Hmm. Me thinks people are takin the piss. :(

Could of picked one up for about £600 but it had the nuts thrashed of it. And this way im getting a brand new clutch.

The 19 16V was a very well respected hot hatch (with a saloon and cabrio also!) back in the day. Way better than the Mk3 Golf GTi, but sadly overlooked as the Clio 16V and Williams later got most of the attention and higher residuals.

Their low book values mainly reflect the relatively high costs of ownership - as any Clio 16V owner will confirm!!

Someone is bound at some point to add that the Clio Williams used 19 16V front wishbones and a few other suspension bits. The story is that although the 19 16V is a great handling car in itself, the parts were used on the Willy over Clio 16V bits because the Williams designers wanted a wider front track and just raided the Renault parts bin.

Id say that £1200 is on the high side for a 19 16V these days, although to be expected from a trader. Still, it represents absolutely phenomenal VFM.