ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just broke down, strange events...Help?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Hi Cs x .. Hope all is well.

I was driving through the village i live in, when i spotted the police, i am very good friends with them so pulled over for a chat. We had the chat and they went on their way. I walked back to my car, jumped in, went to start, ignition come on ... Nothing strange, went to start it and it tried to turn it over, but only for like 1 sec, and it wouldnt turn over, then the needles on the clocks all went down to 0 and was flicking about like mad, and has been doing this since and will not start.

The car has been burning oil, Valve stem oil seals have gone from when it got low on oil before, but i have always kept the level up, only once or twice its gone and has been fine, but im 100% sure its not seized.
Edit: I can also put the car in 1st gear and pull it forward and hear the pistons moving up and down, so its not seized.

Another weird thing....
I decided to lock the car up and walk the half a mile home with my little brother who was also in the car, put the ignition on, went to put the windows up and the ABS light and the SERV light come on every time i pressed a window button?

Now we are considering just getting another engine and dropping it in, but were worried it is electrical and the problem might be on the car side, so if i drop another engine in, it still might not run?

Can anyone advise me what to do apart from burn it? :cool:

Cheers.

Last edited:
  Arctic Blue FF 182
Did it make a clicking noise at all when you turned the key and nothing was happening? How quickly did the windows go back up, dead battery?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
thats what i thought, so its been on charge since lunch time, might go and try it now, lights seemed a little dull, horn and cd player and everything else was fine.

And yeah there was a clicking when i turned the key, windows didnt seem any slower?

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
Sounds like earth lead mine did that with the needles when it went duff. Called out rac he fitted new one for £5.99!

Edit: if you not in rac get someone who is and say they are using your car, done it a few times! shame your too far away!

Last edited:
  R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Sounds like earth lead mine did that with the needles when it went duff. Called out rac he fitted new one for £5.99!

Edit: if you not in rac get someone who is and say they are using your car, done it a few times! shame your too far away!

Cheers mate.

It was the battery, and the earth got corroded. All sweet again now, new engine next week as when it ran dry it done some damage and is drinking oil, Thanks all.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Cheers mate.

It was the battery, and the earth got corroded. All sweet again now, new engine next week as when it ran dry it done some damage and is drinking oil, Thanks all.

PMSL

Thats a good run of luck eh?