ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just got a Speeding Fine

350z & 16v Maxi

Well a application for the name and address of driver. Any advise anyone, or do i just fill this out and take the hit?

350z & 16v Maxi

Yea i think it was me, however I feel its a bit unjustified. The main motorway from my town to Glasgow is getting updated and they have a 40 mph limit on some bits, which i think i stayed below 40 on the bits that have been worked on but i think that bits of the road that are not being worked on have this 40mph limit too, which is where i think i was caught.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

If there is more than one person insured for the car, then I think you can claim that you are unaware as to who was driving at the time the camera took the picture. The only problem would be if the camera was facing you, then its got you by the short and curlies. I know that Christine Hamilton and her hubby did this and got let off with it. But double check that is the correct procedure before you do it. but IMHO I think that is what can be done...anyone else know if Im right or wrong?

I think that your bang to rights Colin, same with the m42 by me, its all 50 whether theres roadworks or not - such is life.

350z & 16v Maxi

don;t mind the fine as much, just hate points, as i don;t have any. If the speed limit was 50 id have been fine, but its 40, on a motorway.

BMW 320d Sport

Well if you dont know it was definitely you then you would be lying if you filled in your details as the driver. If they want to do you for speeding, let them bring their evidence to court. Which they wont have cos the b******s never do - I bet all theyve got is a picture of your car, not YOU.

If Essex police had managed to make their charges stick every time a car with my registration was caught on camera over the last few years, Id have about 20 points!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Check this out cause i am not 100% sure but i read somewhere that you cant get points if you were cause speeding in a temporary lowered speed limit (roadworks) on a motorway. Only fined.

Do check this out though..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Temporary speed limits.
You should note that exceeding a temporary speed limit is a non-endorsable offence. This means that you can only get a fine, but not have any endorsements (points) applied to your license. Of course, like most things in law, there is an exception, and in this case its national speed limits (ie. motorways and dual carriageways). If you exceed a temporary limit on a motorway, such as in roadworks, or the controlled-speed section of the M25, then it becomes an endorsable offence, ie. points. This information is in some dispute at the moment, but came from a traffic officer undergoing basic traffic training so I have no reason to believe that its false.

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/SpeedVSFines/SpeedVSFines.htmlink to site

Sorry mate, looks like if it wasnt a motorway you wouldnt get points :(

[Edited by _KDF on 6/11/2004 7:02:50 PM]

Willy2

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 11 June 2004

Check this out cause i am not 100% sure but i read somewhere that you cant get points if you were cause speeding in a temporary lowered speed limit (roadworks) on a motorway. Only fined.

Do check this out though..
what you will find is that the prosecuting county will have dated photos of the start and finish of the temporary speed limit, they SHOULD also be able to produce a bit of traffic legislation for the commisioning of the road works, so you may have to suffer the points.

I have first hand experience of court cases where people have disputed this kind of thing and the coppers have produced the legislation and have won, the case.leaving the punter with the costs!

Quote: Originally posted by S2 PTH on 11 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tom_16v on 11 June 2004

^^^

above wont work anymore

they just hit the registered owner of the vehicle with the points.....
it does work..

my dad asked for a photo and they sent him one (with me next to him...)

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1086977562__DadsCarCaughtDoing85mph.jpg

i also know afew people who have tryed that and they were just told that the car is regd in their name and they will be issued the fine if they cannot prove it was someone else driving.

the loophole has been closed where if you did not put anyone down they could or wouldnot do u has been closed for agood afew months now, also if you goto cought the chances are 1 or 2 extra points will be added and a bigger fine

i thought you would have had the cameras memorised boyo, i know where every single one is all the way up the 77 and M8 to edinburgh and back again lol

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

that camera my dad got caught on was a mobile one. we were doing about 100 coming round a bend on the stretch of road between the M4 and M50 and we saw it and slammed the brakes on till about 60mph! obviously they get u from miles awaY!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 11 June 2004

Well if you dont know it was definitely you then you would be lying if you filled in your details as the driver. If they want to do you for speeding, let them bring their evidence to court. Which they wont have cos the b******s never do - I bet all theyve got is a picture of your car, not YOU.

!If Essex police had managed to make their charges stick every time a car with my registration was caught on camera over the last few years, Id have about 20 points

We thought that when dad got an nip, took it to court and we had a huge a3 package arrive full of documents, photos and other stuff.

ended up paying £90 on top of the fine and getting the 3 points anyway.

I have no idea if this works or not, but I lifted this letter from one of the speeding websites:

RESPONSE TO NIP

WITNESS STATEMENT

(C.J. Act 1967, s9: MCA 1980, s102: M.C. Rules 1981, r70)

Date:

Their Ref: NIP reference number

Vehicle registration number

Dear Chief Constable,

Further to the above Notice of Intended Prosecution: I confirm that the following individual was driving my vehicle at the time of the alleged motoring offence:

(ALL OF THE DETAILS REQUIRED ON THE NIP – name, address, date of birth, driver number etc. etc.)

I have not received the caution required by paragraph 10.1 of PACE Code C [Mawdesley -v- the Chief Constable of Cheshire [2004] 1 All E.R. 58]. Therefore, it is my understanding that, and this statement and the information in it is submitted subject to the condition that, it may not and will not "be given in evidence to a court in a prosecution".

Yours sincerely,

Signature of driver

Name of Driver

Could be worth a try if you are brave.

I know a friend of mine tried the blank/unsigned NIP thing and it was sent back by Sussex police with a polite letter saying that if he didnt send the full details they would prosecute for some other offence as well.

[Edited by EightBall on 13 June 2004 at 8:14am]

350z & 16v Maxi

i just dont want the points, dont mind the fine so much. Looks like ill just need to take it, im pretty sure it was me.

Tony, i don;t know where the fecking cameras are, thats what has annoyed me even more. It was just on the radio that they caught 100 people in one day 2 weeks ago.

dk

911 GTS Cab

I was doing 80 on the M40 last night and saw a traffic cop with a radar gun on a bridge too late, not sure if they will do me but the wait is going to be annoying. I was in a long prosession of cars all doing the same speed.

Will be p155ed off if I get done for 80 on the motorway!

Tbh i can sit on the motorway with my speedo ready 85 and not get done.

They have to give you 10% plus 2mph leaway, whihc takes the limit up to 79, and my spedo is about 5 mph out at 80, according to GPS, so i just sit on teh motorway doing about 75/80 GPS speed, knowing full well i cant get done

dk

911 GTS Cab

thats what they used to give you but I am sure I read that this has recently changed and they can do you for 1 mph over the limit now.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

just accept it - If it was you!

3 points dont make any difference to most policies

dont to mine anyways ;)

Are there other people on your insurance?

Just send a letter stating that you cant remeber who was driving, can they pease send you the photo etc etc etc

If you were flashed from behind youll get away with it as they will only chase a fine if the photo provides near conclusive evidence of who was driving.

If you play dumb and say you dont remember

Trust me - this works.

Im not saying its OK to speed ( Its not is it. ), but the cops are taking the p155 with the amount of money they get each year for this!

350z & 16v Maxi

Yea i read that too, its anbelieveable!!! The are making a fortune and a really dont think most of the roads needs the reduced limit. Some of it does i agree but where i was caught there is absolutly no need for a reduced limit.

There are catching so so many people, I think its unfair that they can just reduce the speedlimit on a Motorway to 40, and the road is exactly the same as it was when its a 70. No wonder they are catching so many people.