ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had my first experience down the 1/4 Mile

Clio 182
I know the cars ar not built for it, they're definitely track orientated, but I went to Santa Pod today just for the experience.

My best time (1st run of the day) was 15.2, but as the day got on, it got HOTTER and HOTTER, I just couldn't beat that time. I'm pretty confident I could get 15 dead but it was just too hot today. I didn't try any of the drag strip techniques such as lower tyre pressures or anything like that either.

The car is a 182 with just an enclosed induction kit (PiperX) and Scorpion de-cat. I beat my friend in his EP3 everytime (5 runs together) which is what I'm more chuffed about. His best time was 15.4 today, but previously he managed 15 on a much cooler day, which is where my optimism for getting 15 myself comes from.

Just sharing my experience, not trying to gloat/impress.

RenaultSport 172
It's good fun isn't it. Gets your heart going when you get to the line!
I only managed 14.2 in my impreza a few years ago but it was a very hot day that day too

I know the cars ar not built for it, they're definitely track orientated, but I went to Santa Pod today just for the experience.

My best time (1st run of the day) was 15.2, but as the day got on, it got HOTTER and HOTTER, I just couldn't beat that time. I'm pretty confident I could get 15 dead but it was just too hot today. I didn't try any of the drag strip techniques such as lower tyre pressures or anything like that either.

The car is a 182 with just an enclosed induction kit (PiperX) and Scorpion de-cat. I beat my friend in his EP3 everytime (5 runs together) which is what I'm more chuffed about. His best time was 15.4 today, but previously he managed 15 on a much cooler day, which is where my optimism for getting 15 myself comes from.

Just sharing my experience, not trying to gloat/impress.

Sounds like you had a good day out mate !! its your car use it for track or road or whatever you want !! good to hear you beat your mates EP3 though ;) bet he was thrilled !!

Clio 182
So much fun, I didn't want to stop. Even harder when it's a busy day and there are loads of people watching you too. My mate was so pissed off her resorted to trying to beat me up.

Photo_on_19_08_2012_at_19_34.jpg

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Nice one, I'm looking forward to our next straightliners event. I ran a 15.1 or 15.2 last time, car was completely standard back then.

It doesnt sound that fun when you describe what it is really, but once your there i found i loved it.

Clio 182
I was trying to figure out when peak power drops off, my first lot of runs I was changing at 6.9/7k RPM, but for the rest of the day I was changing literally just before limiter, but it made no difference.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Would love to see the ST220 up the strip to see it's worth.

53 Clio's & counting
to be fair a 2.3 60ft time isn't 'that' bad for a light front drive hatchback, I think my 14.2 was 2.2 60ft from memory

Clio 182
I saw you there today, car looked good. surprised you were the only clio there though

Yea, didn't see a single other clio 1*2. What were you in today? There was a Golf GTI Stage 1 revo (he said 260bhp) that only got a 15.1, so I was happy with my time :D

53 Clio's & counting
What modifications do you lot have to get under 15's ?

It differs so much car to car, when I ran the 14.2 I had throttle bodies, but also had a boot full of crap, half a tank of fuel and 28 degree heat, where as a few on here (Chris and nick is one iirc) who have got 14.2/14.1 running breathing modifications and a bit of strippage.

On the flip side, Iv seen 172s/182s with breathing mods who cant break into the 14s, it really does range car to car

big boost cup
Mines still in bits atm so was in my van. the clios do quite well against some of the things that are ment to be quick
my 60fts were only 2.169 so you guys are doing fine

53 Clio's & counting
I have once dipped below the 2 second mark, but that was in a Mk1.

Seems odd the first time I ran at Pod was 1998 lol

Clio 182
14.2/1 with just breathing modifications? wow, and these engines dont really get much in terms of gains from breathing mods either. I guess that includes remap though. I just got a job as a remapping technician, and start tomorrow, hopefully I can get it mapped at work for free :D as part of my training :)

2.4 was my best 60' time, not bad for first time. I just wish my launches were better, another annoying thing was there was sometimes 10 minute waits between getting on the strip, so I'd switch the engine off to conserve fuel, but forget to turn the traction control off when I start again, a few times I caught myself out with that!

53 Clio's & counting
14.2/1 with just breathing modifications? wow, and these engines dont really get much in terms of gains from breathing mods either. I guess that includes remap though. I just got a job as a remapping technician, and start tomorrow, hopefully I can get it mapped at work for free :D as part of my training :)

2.4 was my best 60' time, not bad for first time. I just wish my launches were better, another annoying thing was there was sometimes 10 minute waits between getting on the strip, so I'd switch the engine off to conserve fuel, but forget to turn the traction control off when I start again, a few times I caught myself out with that!

Engines range so differently between cars, some good ones will pull 14.5's standard, where as the average I would estimate 15.2 ish

Dont fret too much, practice is the key, and remember to enjoy it - I know these cars are not meant for it, but that doesn't stop it from being fun - hell once I was there there was a chap running a 306 TD - started with 21's, but by the end of the day he was in the 18's - it's all about the fun :)

Clio 182
I was going to bring mine today , but decided I need it for Bedford first , maybe next time.
I saw you running too, good effort to beat Rich , good on ya.

Should of done mate, ah well, hindsight and all that. Would of been nice to have a comparison though. Thinking about stripping mine out now. Might strip it and leave the rear bench and seatbelts in place so when I do trackdays/santapod I just have to take those out. Any legalities on having to have doorcars/no sharp parts when carrying passengers? :D

did you get my message btw?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I love pod! going for the performance day 2nd September hopefully, first time on the new build :) if I can get close to the low 12's again i'll be a happy chappy.

as people have said, if you not to bothered about taking it mega serious, like I am, then some R888's dropped to 10psi or so and strip the back out and you'll be away! should see the 60ft's down to 2-2.2 ish area. its all about the giggle though, and once you get the feel for the launch, you'll improve. the main issues are the range of conditions with the wind/track temps/air temps and track condition etc. but frankly, I just stick the boot to the floor and see what happens most of time whilst giggling like a great girl!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I killed a week old box at the pod. Fun times. Harder than people think when your excited at the line trying not to spin the wheels too much.

Nippy white cup
I used to love racing at York...not as cheap as it was then anymore

Managed to find this

http://www.yorkdragway.org/results.pl?date=2003-10-05;car=R34

That was my best time...open IK (power sapping?), decat exhaust and filter with an Rsport ecu also had std contis. All I had out of the car weight wise was the rear bench/seat...probs about 1500miles on the clock too. Only been once in its current state and with a chip wizards remap (although he had reduced the limiter to 6700rpm for some reason) and even with the limiter lower it got a 14.2 but was 1mph faster....Timo who used to be on here had his stripped with similar mods and managed a 13.9 which is awesome for a mildly modded clio

big boost cup
I love pod! going for the performance day 2nd September hopefully, first time on the new build :) if I can get close to the low 12's again i'll be a happy chappy.

as people have said, if you not to bothered about taking it mega serious, like I am, then some R888's dropped to 10psi or so and strip the back out and you'll be away! should see the 60ft's down to 2-2.2 ish area. its all about the giggle though, and once you get the feel for the launch, you'll improve. the main issues are the range of conditions with the wind/track temps/air temps and track condition etc. but frankly, I just stick the boot to the floor and see what happens most of time whilst giggling like a great girl!

Im going for the 1st sept may stay over night to. need to pull my finger out as its still in bits you running slicks or low psi 888s

182 Cup, Camaro Z28
glad you enjoyed it dude, its all good fun, my camaro is setup for drag, hoping to break 11's soon, manages a 12.3 so far but with 2.0 s 60 ft, which is poor on a drag car

guys....what you running to get 12's in the Clio ????...turbos???? I'm very impressed

big boost cup
Mines supercharged and around 310 horse. but have some gas waiting to be fitted and some mickey Ts. its stripped and i drive it like it should be lol

I took my 172 to Shakespeare county raceway a couple of months back for a RWYB day and managed a 15.238.

I have a full interior and the only engine mod I have is I've got rid of the standard cold air Fred pipes and swapped them for larger diameter pipes.

Video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B80ZrA_iCxo

d48b600a-48df-81f6.jpg

Can't wait to get back up there, next time I'll stick her on a crash diet before hand.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
tom, as said I don't take it that seriously so no slicks, I just let the R888's down that I drove there on!lol! best pass was last summer, 12.3@117mph with a 2.06 60ft and about 95mph on the 1/8 mile

maudy, mines a turbo'd 1.8 16v mk 1 clio (F7P engine) running 260 odd bhp according to last RR and it weighs 960kg with just vapours in the fuel tank and no driver

big boost cup
tom, as said I don't take it that seriously so no slicks, I just let the R888's down that I drove there on!lol! best pass was last summer, 12.3@117mph with a 2.06 60ft and about 95mph on the 1/8 mile

maudy, mines a turbo'd 1.8 16v mk 1 clio (F7P engine) running 260 odd bhp according to last RR and it weighs 960kg with just vapours in the fuel tank and no driver

ah reading fail. thats shifting along nicely then.

53 Clio's & counting

perfect description of how I look at Pod - pop up with a few mates, get some runs against each other, see who gets the best time between you, beat some faster cars, get mullared by something silly like a Kart with a bike engine in - it's all such a great laugh :)

SQ5
Just realised I have 6 just illegal R888's, could easily use for one or two drag days.

Just need a pair of spare wheels, would be nice to get some big wide 10's and drag slicks :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
the other issue with slicks and clios is the JC5 boxes are a tad useless

having said that Rob over on RTOC uses a JC5 still on his 502bhp F7P turbo powered Renault 5 with full drag slicks and that laid a 10.6 second 1/4 mile last season and stood a good few launches and it still going now, so I guess anything's possible