ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just how good IS the clio 197?

182 Cup
Is it worth a 40 mile each way trip tomorrow to a Renault open day to take out for a run? The Megane sports will be there as well.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The 197 isn't loved on here. People seem to think thay are slow, they aren't!!!!!! They don't feel as quick, but in reality they are! Mate and i have had the 197 against my standard 182..... and there is f**k all in it tbh..... The 197 needs more working though, as the gears are tightly stacked. Thumbs up from me, they are nice in the flesh too!

Peddled device
Its bigger and heavier but according to most feels more planted.If l was you and was interested l'd go and try one....thats the only way you'll find out.

RS Clio 200
i might give in and test drive soon. Not that i will buy one... 350Z next for me... i just wanna prove to myself that my 172 IS better

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
just how good is the 197?

well it is better than the 1*2 but that wouldn't be hard.

Fabulous car but lets keep on slagging it off as i don't want too many people to realise. thanks

Pretty good , but any nitwit with half of a brain would buy a used R26 esp with some of the deals that have appeared on this very forum.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
just how good is the 197?

well it is better than the 1*2 but that wouldn't be hard.

Fabulous car but lets keep on slagging it off as i don't want too many people to realise. thanks

Not hard to better the 182? Oh I see, that's because the 182 was s**t wasn't it? :S

If you wanna drive a car that can't outdrag milk floats then go for it....

..joking aside it's not that far away, and is always fun using other peoples tyres and fuel!

Clio 172 mk2 & Clio 3 DCi
certainly worth a look i think, its certainly growing on me looks wise and it is getting good reviews in most places.

SMURF!!!
I took a 197 for a test drive, just cos i had nothing else to do that day, had no intention of buying one cos just finished uni and had no job, but cos the bf has a 225 he egged me in to it......... i came out with a receipt for a deposit paid.

I loved it and i still do.... bf has 225 so i have the best of both worlds and even though the 197 is a bit more chavvy than the 225, the bf loves it too!!! ;)

3 MPS
as we speak mine is in the dealers now with 7 yes 7 faults, the car handles better than my 172 cup(coilovers) and 225 cupped and does look better than afore mentioned but its still the same old poor french quality ,

stitching on steering wheel is bursting
water in door indicator
hands free works 10% of the time (same as 225)
kangeroos from cold
big flat spot below 3k
bumper is coming loose from front wing
very poor alignment of bonnet and top of bumper

car is almost 12 months old with 7k on clock

3 MPS
well to be honest wen i first got it i was praising it but renault will never get it right but hey thats why they are cheap lol

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
No, it was the 182 that was cheap.

you keep going on about me being the gimp who constantly praises the 197 etc, but you really seem to have a chip on your shoulder trying your best to drag it down... obviously the 182 is the best car known to man... blah blah.

i guess when the 172 originally came out it was available for how cheaply the 182 was?

lets allow the 197 have a few years to develop as per the 172 -> 182 and then see how much a 197 is 4 years after release shall we?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
So much for the numpties banging on about the 197's ''superior build quality'' lol.

yes and lets take one persons viewpoint.

they may still have problems but they are definetely better made imo. I have owend both and thta is how i currently feel. I have also not had the problems that i encountered with the 182.... i would list them all up and the amount of trips to the delaers let alone the 2 weeks i had an astra van whuislt they looked at the 182 to only give it me back and it breka down on the same day again...

but hey, i ain't in this thread to try and drag the 182 down, sadly you are here as a troll. LOLZ!!!!!!!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I think bar the steering the 197 is an excellent car.

mine is the 6th gear.... if only i had a few more revs it would be ideal for my suffolk to kent runs.... i guess i could drive a bit slower though ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
depends on the time tbh, i like the bit of a11 leading to the m11 ;)

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
Been chatting to a guy at work today who's g/f has just ordered one. He reckons it is really rapid and a fantastic car. :D