ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just ordered an HTC's answer to the Iphone

Clio 197
Ok, maybe that's a bit of a lie... but there are similarities.

I've just ordered an HTC Touch Cruise (XDA Orbit II).

Can't wait to receive it - a bit smaller than an Iphone and screen is lower res; but the interface is very clever PLUS I can run TomTom & MemoryMaps on it.

It'll also support advanced powerpoint functions, remote desktop, proper sync with outlook... the list goes on.

I've got myself a 3 PAUG sim to go in it, £5 per month for unlimited internet access with HSDPA (supported by the HTC Touch Cruise).

I'll be using the device as a wireless router (connect my laptop to it via wifi, allowing me to access the web using the sim card).

(all fingers crossed of course).

Citroen DS3 DSport
They are a nice phone/pda but I'd not compare the experience to using a iPhone as they are two very different devices. The Touch will allow you to do far more than the existing iPhone software will but the iPhone interface is far nicer and more responsive to use IMO.

Good choice of handset and hopefully everything will work in the way you need it.

Clio 197
^

I hope so too.

I was originally thinking of getting the tytnII - but I found it too bulky, and the keyboard not big enough for comfortable usage. I suspected that a bluetooth keyboard would be the only way of using either machine for lots of work.

I opted for the Touch Cruise because of the touch-flo interface which lends itself for one-handed usage where necessary. The scroll wheel also helps in that respect.

I didn't get on with the E90 because it was just a S60 phone at the end of the day... hopefully this will fullfill my needs.

Clio 197
Ok, my XDA Orbit 2 (or Orbit II) is here.

It comes complete with:

Car charger
Car windscreen mounting kit
Home charger
1GB micro SD
CoPilot Demo (not TomTom as originally speculated)
Screen Protector
Leatherette carry pouch
Extra stylus
Software discs, mauals etc...

I've installed a 3 PAUG sim in it - internet is seriously quick! Err... not done much else (apart from installing fring). :D

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Copilot is miles better than Tomtom imo.

What is touch-flo??

I have a HTC Trinity. (Orange M700) which is a bit old by today's standards, but does the job well enough.

Is unlimited internet seriously only £5 a month with 3 ??

Clio 197
Yup... buy a £10 topup... and use £5 of that as an add-on.

(all suject to fair usage...they can't limit the speed, so it'll be as fast as their 'broadband' as long as your equipment supports it AFAIK.

Touch flo is very cool - make gestures with your fingers on the screen, and it responds (like the iphone interface).

Search for it on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not sure. I have Copilot from my earlier PPC days. My HTC only supports Tomtom unforunately though. If I thought I could find my licence for it I'd sell it you for a score...

Could probably get a robbed version from the net though.

Clio 197
I didn't know whether we got full version automatically (but needed to register it), or whether I need to purchase a license.

I've got my ol' tomtom with euro maps somewhere, so I'll just have to install that I suppose.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ah right.

They never give free stuff away, so it'll just be a demo.

At least that's a decent program to start with though. Orange wanted me to use their own navigation software, which didn't store the maps (why would I want my SD card clogged up with maps:rolleyes:) but instead downloaded the maps it needed for each route. Horrific prices, but that's just because I'm not on a data plan.

Monaro VXR
I have the XDA Exec its bulky but fine to use. And interface is fast. And if your a real geek you can install linux on them now and retain all the functions so then you can even say it has a similar OS to the Iphone if not better....I just couldn't be arsed with that crap factory reset and get rid of all the O2 options which slows it to buggery works great now.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
Hey Oms, where did u get your HTC from? I've been interested in them for a while, currently i'm running a nokia 6120c (pants in comparison i know) on the 3 network.

On a different note, the 'unlimited' 3 internet (x series silver) add-on has a limit of 1GB.

However, for £5 a month, (i've got it too) its more than worth it for mobile broadband.

James

Clio 197
^^

I got my device from O2 - in XDA Orbit II guise.

I need to remove all the crap O2 software form it when I get the chance.

As for 3's Data - £5 gets you 'unlimited' fair usage (whatever that means)??!

Clio 197
Nice one Oms.

I'm on my third HTC device now, and apart from the stupid rubber thing covering the mini SD-card on the S710, they've all been A1.

Did you ever have one with a keyboard? Just wondering how you got on with the slide-out keyboards (if you ever used one).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I had both the TyTN (1), and the S710.

TyTN was a touch screen PDA with slide-out keyboard, S710 is like a phone with a normal numeric phone keypad on the front, but a slide out keyboard beneath.

One I have at the moment is temporary as I'm going back to the S710.

They keyboards are very useable - with MS push e-mail it's vital with the amount I have to use mine.

I would prefer to go back to the TyTN though (TyTN 2 is out now and you can angle up the screen once the keyboard's slid out), as the lack of touch screen functionality on the S710 hampers it a bit in my opinion.

Clio 197

TyTN was a touch screen PDA with slide-out keyboard, S710 is like a phone with a normal numeric phone keypad on the front, but a slide out keyboard beneath.

They keyboards are very useable - with MS push e-mail it's vital with the amount I have to use mine.

I would prefer to go back to the TyTN though (TyTN 2 is out now and you can angle up the screen once the keyboard's slid out), as the lack of touch screen functionality on the S710 hampers it a bit in my opinion.

Hiya Mark,

I've been playing with mine since yesterday... I'm probably going to swap it for the tytn II.

I just can't get on with the text input methods it has to offer - I want a keyboard!

I've installed WMWifiRouter on it - browsing the site on my laptop using my XDA's 3G connection as a wifi router - AWESOME!

I love the size of the device, and the screen etc etc... just want a keyboard (which will make it bigger and heavier, grrr).

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182

Hiya Mark,

I've been playing with mine since yesterday... I'm probably going to swap it for the tytn II.

I just can't get on with the text input methods it has to offer - I want a keyboard!

I've installed WMWifiRouter on it - browsing the site on my laptop using my XDA's 3G connection as a wifi router - AWESOME!

I love the size of the device, and the screen etc etc... just want a keyboard (which will make it bigger and heavier, grrr).

Ive got a tytn 2 and ill trade you :D

Hardly used as i pretty much got it the same time as the iphone which ive not put down since.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
work gave me a tytn2 last week, it's quite nice :) Stuck google maps on it and it's pretty cool how it works with the built in gps.

Apart from using it to get work emails and as a phone not really done anything else with it though :(

Clio 197
Hiya Mark,

Ive got a tytn 2 and ill trade you :D

Hardly used as i pretty much got it the same time as the iphone which ive not put down since.

I've got 14day money back guarantee anyways, so all I have to do is send it back. Ta for the offer anyways.

Clio 197
work gave me a tytn2 last week, it's quite nice :) Stuck google maps on it and it's pretty cool how it works with the built in gps.

Apart from using it to get work emails and as a phone not really done anything else with it though :(

Use the 3G on it for skype, messenger, fring.

Use remote desktop through the 3G - very quick & reliable way to run non-wm6 software.

Use it as a wifi router for your laptop when you need it.

Tomtom

Memory maps

The list goes on. ;)