ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just purchased a Nikon D80

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
Finally took the plunge after several weeks of trying to make up my mind!
I am now a proud owner of a Nikon D80.
Purchased the D80 with the kit lens (18 -135 F3.6), Tamron 55 - 200 F4.6, 8G Sandisk memory card extreme III, 2 polorising filters for the lenses, IR remote control, 1 Lowepro bag and a free Centon bag plus a cleaning kit. I also took out the Jessops 3 year accidental warranty cover as well. Just over £900 and I am sure it won't stop there either!! Not had much time to use it yet but I did manage to go out Wednesday evening and took a few night shots. Any comments welcome. I know I have a lot to learn about the camera and probably more about photography. This camera has just blown me away with it's features and ease of use. Not even been tempted to use auto as S, A and P modes actually give good results. My old camera (FUJI Fine pix s6500 FD) just didn't perform in any other mode apart from auto.

At the moment I feel like a dog with 2 tails, just cant stop wagging them both.

nikonkit.jpg

And here are the night shots:
1: Dover Docks (Love the light on the far left, How did that work?)
2: Dover Castle
3: Tail light round Castle hill
4: Wier at Hothfield. (More practice needed for this one!!!!)

doverdock.jpg

dovercastle.jpg

redlight.jpg

whitewater.jpg

Thanks for looking and any comments or advice welcome.

Cheers

BobRTE

Focus ST3 + proper Mini
hope you like the camera mate, it was the best thing I done!

love the last 2 pics. what setting did you use on the last one??

Megane RS 275 Trophy
I have a D80 had it for about 5 months now and have never looked back, but buying it is just the start. Photography is a real drain on you finances but great fun with loads and loads to learn around every corner.

You have a great set-up there but it would look better sat on a Nikon bag and not a Canon bag.

Enjoy it.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
I have a D80 had it for about 5 months now and have never looked back, but buying it is just the start. Photography is a real drain on you finances but great fun with loads and loads to learn around every corner.

You have a great set-up there but it would look better sat on a Nikon bag and not a Canon bag.

Enjoy it.

Jessops obviously prefer Canon! The ********

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
hope you like the camera mate, it was the best thing I done!

love the last 2 pics. what setting did you use on the last one??

Used the kit lens (Nikon 18 - 135 F3.6)

Shutter Priority

F36
Exposure time 1/2 second
Exposure bias -2 step
Focal length 90mm
Metering mode = spot
No flash

I am still a novice but I was quite pleased with the result. More practice needed!!!

Great camera and I don't think I'll be looking back. So much better than my old Fuji Finepix S6500 FD.

Great stuff, looking forward to the day I upgrade to a D80 (or D200 if I'm lucky)

I would actually be tempted to trade the two lenses in for a Nikon 18-200, then you have the same length covered but with the addition of VR (Vibration Reduction) and no need to ever change lenses, which you will learn to hate soon enough (especially when dust starts to settle on your sensor)

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
A guy i know bought a D80 not too long ago. I'm not too sure if it's poorly made or if he's just an idiot, but it's already broken - the flash doesn't shut anymore.

clio 182 black /gold
Very good for your first efforts. I have a D70 and still not sure on how to use it.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
Great stuff, looking forward to the day I upgrade to a D80 (or D200 if I'm lucky)

I would actually be tempted to trade the two lenses in for a Nikon 18-200, then you have the same length covered but with the addition of VR (Vibration Reduction) and no need to ever change lenses, which you will learn to hate soon enough (especially when dust starts to settle on your sensor)

Got the dreaded dust after just a week of ownership! :(
Something new to learn now, how to remove it safely without damage!

Any tips welcome.

Also, can't afford the 18 - 200 VR at the moment. (£400 ish)

Last edited:
My 18-200 has been my main lens for well.. since I got it!!! The 30mm comes out when I am in low light and fancy something different... bit the 18-200 has been my best purchase!!! I now have an sb-400 flash which is entry level but great value for what it does!

Cupra
Got the dreaded dust after just a week of ownership! :(
Something new to learn now, how to remove it safely without damage!

Any tips welcome.

Sounds like common sense but always face the camera body towards the ground when changing lenses. Never change a lens outdoors if you can help it. If you do, try and find a sheltered spot out of the wind.

Never change a lens on the beach. ;)

Get yourself a rocket blower, it will help remove a lot of the grub that ends up on lenses.

Lastly, be really careful if you decide to clean you own sensor, there are plenty of horror stories of people making a much bigger mess than they started off with. Dust spots are easy to remove in PP, a huge great big smear is not.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i had some dust which i managed to shift last night. Mirror lock up, Rocket blower, face camera down and squeeze away like mad.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
Cheers chaps. (Planet X, Clart & AndyRS) Just looked at the EXIF data and sure enough, I had it set to F34. Now I know why and how to possibly capture similar images???? I do like the effect but had no idea of the reason.

As I have said, I am a newbie and have a great deal to learn about the camera and photography. It's taken me years to learn my current job and I learn new things every day, so I know it will be a long process.

Thanks for the help so far.

As for the dust, it's visible in the Dover Docks shot, off to the right upper. Picked it up changing the lens outside. DOH :eek:

Bob