ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just some questions

Mk1 Clio 1.4L RT
Hey guys just a few questions for you all. I own a Mk1 RT and am in the process of 'cleaning up' the old girl, shes starting to get rust spots and what not so thought instead of leaving it to rust ill put some money into doing it properly and will keep the car long term instead of getting another in a couple of years. Anyway the plan in a couple or so years (insurance allowing) was to get a Mk1 valver or williams, because when I first saw one it was love at first sight. But my idea now that im 'investing' in the RT is to do an engine swap as time goes on, kit out the RT and maybe make a 'street sleeper' style car nothing over the top just nice and simple with power, now heres my questions:

1. Is it difficult to swap a valver engine into a RT?
2. What upgrades would I need to do to the car? (brakes is the obvious one)
3. How much do the engines sell for?
4. Is there anything special I would have to do to the RT to accomodate the Valver engine? (any sort of new dials, ECU or anything else like that?)

As I said this is a long term plan and wont come into effect for a while but wanted to ask some questions now before I go to far into putting money in the RT to find I cant do what I want.

Cheers all

i'd get a rear damaged valver and swap the subframes over from the RT and the valver

so youll have suspension brakes and engine/gearbox from a valver in ya RT

simples :p

non sport
just buy yourself a valver, cheaper and easier...although not as much fun as doin it all yourself, good luck mate

Mk1 Clio 1.4L RT
yeah the original plan was to get a valver as i said above i think, but as you say its more fun and the way i see it is i want a car i myself can be proud of because i can say 'yes i did the work on that car' also i love tinkering with cars and machines (its a problem when your dad is a mechanic and your brother is into cars lol) but anyway should be a fun project to do. Incidently does anyone know (apart from ebay ive looked) where i can get a valver front bumper?

Last edited:
  Mk1 Clio 1.4L RT
Aha just though of something else I can ask your opinions on before i get my hands covered in engine muck and the like, theres a 'clunk' coming from the engine bay. My dad and I (we havent checked it yet havent had time) think its possibly the engine mount(s) come loose and causing the clunk. Ill give examples when this happens:

• Moving off from stand still
  • Releasing the accelerator
  • Pushing down the clutch
  • Releasing the clutch and engaging a new gear
  • Going over a speed bump or pot hole
I know its not the clutch thats fine, however the reason we think this something to do with the mountings is that it as describe above its when the engine picks up or drops the revs, so this naturaly would cause the engine to 'twist' or 'move about' on its mountings slightly to use lack of a better terms and also when it goes over a bump, thus causing the whole lot to move. Anyway im hopefully going to look at it saturday or sunday because its bugging me but just wondered if you guys had any ideas if it may be something else.

Cheers