ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just spec'd up a 197 for fun...

Just added what i thought were the essentials.... and it came to 18.5k!?

for a non V6 clio!?

no thanks.

Thats in a whole new cat of vehicles price range.

Dirty E91
What do you consider must have options?

for me off the top of my head; Xenon lights, A/C, CD multi changer?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
It's cos they say french car "british engineering" thats why they wanna charge more!

MKIII 138
^ lol it is safer, better built more expensive material.

194bhp 1240kg (excluding driver) still fast but how does the 40kg of down force from diffuser affect accelaration at 100mph + to the massive and dizzying 134mph top speed ?

its almost identical to mondeo St200 pace (not st220) as a point of reference in terms of accelaration

0-60 in 6.9secs or is that 0-62 ?

E91 M Sport
The only thing I want from that car is the seats (recaro or standard, both very nice), otherwise I'd buy a Trophy or V6. If it had to be a new car, Focus ST. Simple.

Meg on pistonheads £6995
Overpriced? - try 'Overweight' that's the biggest problem!

why turn a small fast car into a comfy medium sized car that's 'almost' as quick?

MKIII 138
i was two days from placing an order on a meganesport im waiting for the 250bhp version early nxt year hopefully it will have those funky new Recaro CS seats in aswell

Clio 200 Raider
those prices are crazy, renault are guna have stiff competition as there are so many fast hatchbacks nowadays that are better priced.

im sorry but for that money the only renault i would have to be the v6 yum

Lee

BMW M2C
That's the recommended retail price. No one pays that. Who on here actually paid £15,495 for a 182? Probably no one.

How can people keep saying they would rather have a V6? They are totally different cars. At least say you would rather have an equivalent 2.0 litre 4 seater hot hatch back which offers similar performance and safety features.

Just phoned the stealer for a price on a 197 on F & F. They aren't doing it at the moment. It's 18% on all Clios except the 197 which is currently excluded.

E91 M Sport
Lee said:

How can people keep saying they would rather have a V6? They are totally different cars.

That's the whole point - people here are realising they can buy a far superior, premier league car for the same money.

Lee

BMW M2C
miketheman2k said:
That's the whole point - people here are realising they can buy a far superior, premier league car for the same money.

But that's not the point is it. You are comparing apples with oranges again. I could have a V6, but I'd have been screwed at the weekend when 4 of us went to the GP. You can't go comparing a 2 seater to a 4 seater.

Lucky for me I have the ultimate Clio, and it has 4 seats and a useful sized boot. :approve:

Lee

BMW M2C
miketheman2k said:
Well at least 2 of those facts are true.
Yeah true. I found the boot a bit small recently so had to put the back seats down to get some stuff in.

"Undoubtedly Renaultsport's finest achievement, the Clio Trophy is simply the ultimate hot hatch benchmark"

"It was after all, arguably the most focused uncompromising Clio ever - even the V6 couldn't boast bespoke remote reservoir dampers"

The V6 isn't a hot hatch, it can't be compared to hot hatches, in fact there isn't really anything to compare it to directly. It's more a GT than a hot hatch, it's a nice cruiser. All that torque is great for eating up the miles.

I love the V6, it's a very very special car, but quite what relevance it has compared to a 197 is beyond me. You may as well compare the 197 to things like the Lotus Elise or Integra Type R, other fast cars, but in a totally different catagory to the 197. I've loved the experience of driving one, the noise, the sense of occasion and people looking and pointing, but it's still not a hot hatch. It's a mid engined mini supercar.

This place it getting like Amazon, people are writting bad reviews for products they've never seen in the flesh let alone experienced. lol

I've been to check out a Focus ST. Again, catagory above the Clio and designed to be more comfortable and less hot hatch. The Clio may have gained a bit of weight (due to safety stuff) but they've still designed it to be a fun car, which is why people buy small sporty hatchbacks and not Focus STs, VXRs, Meganes etc.

I feel better now. Now where's the VX 220 thread.:evil:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i'm wating till i drive it too make my mind up tbh like you lee^^^^^

plus waiting for the first few people to buy one off cs to see what they reckon.

tiTTy & SV650
well said Lee, the Vee is in a different league and shouldnt be compared to other clios.

And undoubtedly Arnold Clark will have £3k off list or fully loaded 197 at £15k before long. I got my 182 in June 04 from main dealer, new, unregistered, 0 miles, £3500 off list. it wasnt long on the market at the time, I'd never seen one on the road.

E91 M Sport
No one is comparing the 197 and V6 in car terms, just making the comparison that a mk2 V6 would now be cheaper to buy than a 197 (sans discount), which is pretty amazing.

I'll be the first to admit, I wanted a Trophy.....but I just couldn't find one in red.

;)

tiTTy & SV650
yeah well a nearly new Integra DC5 is cheaper too, as is a 2nd hand 350Z or a second hand M3 etc etc. people are comparing to the v6 cause its a clio.

If you dont like it, don't buy it ;-) I certainly WONT be, think its horrible but am awaiting reviews cause seems to have some nice features, shame Renault missed the basics again like, DRIVING POSITION, how many chances have they had?! numpties.

insignia
If it is actually slower in a straight line than a 172/182 then I just cannot understand Renault.That would be the biggest mistake. Cant wait to beast one and find out.

I dont see what the big deal is, yes, its £18k with all the options etc but nobody will actually pay that!

The 0-60 times etc can all be quoted til you're blue in the face, but go have a drive and see what you think. Nobody on here has bought one/driven one, only a handful have sat in them, too many people are slagging off something theyve never seen, let alone driven! I thought that was reserved for Type R's! ;)

For £15k-ish you get a brand new car, new design all that b****cks. Maybe there are better cars for the money, but you pay your money, you make your choice!

Clio 197
They've really gone bokners this time!

They want to charge German car prices, for a French car?

A spec'd up clio 197 is only what, £1500 less than the equivalent meggy 225?

I'll wait until I drive one to pass judgement, but I can already say that I would never pay more than 14k for a 197 with all my current toys.

I think the deal for some of us is that we've already done the Clio C-Car thing and are looking to upgrade. That really means upgrading to a B-Car - Astra, Civic, Focus or Megane size. To my mind, the 197 has the problem that it's (initial) price seems to be blurring the line between the two classes. Let me expalin my thoughts;

This issue is two-fold; firstly it tempts existing and potentially upgrading RS Clio owners to looks seriously at the B-Car Megane 225, and secondly it tempts potential new C-Car buyers to look at the cheaper Fiesta ST type machines. The 197 seems to be priced to go head-to-head with the bigger hatches once it's specced up, yet it doesnt really have the paper figures to compete in raw performance terms. It's neither in the Fiesta class or the Astra VXR class, even though it will likely be as capable as the latter.

The 197 isnt really an upgrade from type IMHO. It's in the supermini class and that means Fiesta ST territory. In that class it's bound to be a clear winner in dynamic terms but not perhaps in price terms.

I will book a test drive but I fear it will "suffer" from some traits (like duller steering) that were the deciding factor behind why I personally chose the 182 in the first place over the Civic TypeR for example.

However, when you break it down to the nuts and bolts, we are likely to be able to pick up an unspecced 197 for 13-14k and it will doubtless walk all over everything in its class. The only question, for me, is do I want to stay in a class that is getting duller in dynamic terms with evey passing year, or do I pay less (currently) to upgrade to a 225Cup that is probably 95% as capable, 105% as fast and 150% as practical?

Last edited:
I rather fancy a 197 now that I've seen some more pics. The extra money has got to be worth it for a steering wheel that I can actually move closer to me!

Greg 172 said:
I rather fancy a 197 now that I've seen some more pics. The extra money has got to be worth it for a steering wheel that I can actually move closer to me!

Agreed, it will be a very desirable car, but do you not prefer the idea of a 225Cup with good colour choices and cheap 260bhp potential, for £13999? I know I do. But then I'm perhaps at an age (33) and point in my life where my buying choice is based on a different criteria.

To my mind this is the biggest intial challenge that the 197 faces - being more desirable than the cheaper 225