ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just spun out on a round about !!

BG 182 FF
jus bin on a drive with a few of me mates took a round about a tad to quik, must of hit some ice...managed to completly spin the car onto the other side of the road an a badly curbed my rear left alloy an stoped dead. proper s**t meself...i drove away in silence and pulled over in some car park. we all got out an it seemed like there was no damage !! made up...all laughin at it, but a lil shuk up. i drove it around the car park and everythin seemed fine.

but as i drove away as i was geting speeds over 30 i can hear a droaning noise, like a deep noise. like its rubing. i jacked up the car and spun the wheel and nothin seems to be touching. any hav any idea? i wudnt mind some info if poss. im proper skint on 60 quid a week, shiting meself about it now. you thnk its safe to drive? everything seems sturdy. nice one !!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Doubt its ice, aint cold enough just now, put it down to speed and learn, I have (on more than 1 occasion!) possibly fucked your wheel bearing mate

BG 182 FF
ar rite cheers! could be ice me temp thingie sed 0...but i was goin to quik. gona start slowin down, dnt wanna sound like a fany haha. how much would u say for a wheel bearing? an were can i get em from?

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
10/10 for being honest about it.

IMHO it takes more of a man to spin (under peer pressure, we all go too fast) and then admit it to his peers, than to spin, blame something else, and not post it.

Top man, you have my respect for that!

These FF cars, teh back starts to go... you hit the brakes out of reflexes, and thats the worst thing to do...spins you round and ur a gonner.

I've spun twice ^_^ Once over a crest of a hill (weigh transfer caught me out at a rather...fast...speed) and once when I got my new pads, breaked too hard, no weight over the back wheels...woosh.

Both driver error though :) They wouldnt have happened without the crest or without the new breaks...but they wudnt have happened without a crap driver (me) either... so :p

-Akira

Not too cold?? My gauge was fluctuating between minus 4/5 on the way home tonight at 10pm!! Just had my fingers crossed the gritters had been out...

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I paid £15 per bearing last week but thats cos i was replacing my drums and 1 had split! Spun on a few roundabouts before, just take it as a lesson, sounds like you have

BG 182 FF
Akira2506 said:
10/10 for being honest about it.

IMHO it takes more of a man to spin (under peer pressure, we all go too fast) and then admit it to his peers, than to spin, blame something else, and not post it.

Top man, you have my respect for that!

These FF cars, teh back starts to go... you hit the brakes out of reflexes, and thats the worst thing to do...spins you round and ur a gonner.

I've spun twice ^_^ Once over a crest of a hill (weigh transfer caught me out at a rather...fast...speed) and once when I got my new pads, breaked too hard, no weight over the back wheels...woosh.

Both driver error though :) They wouldnt have happened without the crest or without the new breaks...but they wudnt have happened without a crap driver (me) either... so :p

-Akira
yer thats what hapaned, i knew you shud never slam on but cudnt helpt it first reaction was to oposit lock an slam on, which caused me to spin horibly. luckily there was no cars on the other side !! i dnt even wanna think about what coulda hapaned. i defo got away with it..:dead:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lucky man! just put it down to experiance, bet you dont take a roundabout that fast for atleast a couple of weeks ;)

im surprized there hasnt been any of the more mature members calling you all the w*****s of the day because of this! LOL

Anyone who criticises the guy is a w**ker to be honest. We're all human, we all have friends (haha...ok...mabye not) yes, we should keep it on the track, but... there's not a track everywhere and at every time.

It does teach you though... next time it happens (and you know it will :p) you'll not hit the break... Why did I do it twice? haha...well, it was hit breaks or hit grass bank... ^_^ lol.

I put a nice dent in my alloy... "whoops."

Hope ya get your clio all fixed up :) it's good fun at the garage...do you tell em the truth, or do you tell them ur mum was drivin ;)

-Akira

Motorbikes
Coulda been worse, last time I did that it was more than just a wheel bearing that needed replaced.... if I rememebr correctly it was a wheel, tyre, driveshaft, wishbone, steering column, steering rack, subframe, roof panel, front wing and front bumper that needed replaced and the chassis straightened.... in other words a write-off, just because of excess speed on a roundabout. I would agree that it would be a wheel bearing that you require.

Steven

BG 182 FF
steven.m said:
Coulda been worse, last time I did that it was more than just a wheel bearing that needed replaced.... if I rememebr correctly it was a wheel, tyre, driveshaft, wishbone, steering column, steering rack, subframe, roof panel, front wing and front bumper that needed replaced and the chassis straightened.... in other words a write-off, just because of excess speed on a roundabout. I would agree that it would be a wheel bearing that you require.

Steven
jeesus, ill count myself lucky!

OLI

205 gti-6
how long hav u bin drivin m8?

i passd in september,
had quite a few close calls myself but "fingers crossd" i'll get a year's no claims! Insurance is a b**ch at 17:mad:

Do we get pics of the knackered alloy? or is there no visible damage? :)
Biggest damage = your pride :p

-Akira

BG 182 FF
OLI said:
how long hav u bin drivin m8?

i passd in september,
had quite a few close calls myself but "fingers crossd" i'll get a year's no claims! Insurance is a b*tch at 17:mad:

only a few months! got 3 points aswel...so grim, over took a bus which was pulling over an a police man with a speed gun got me...didnt see him at at all, was guted. in 18 an me insurance is a joke!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
lets be honest, we all rag it form time to time. not saying it is right but it is true!

BG 182 FF
Akira2506 said:
Do we get pics of the knackered alloy? or is there no visible damage? :)
Biggest damage = your pride :p

-Akira

its not too bad actualy! god knows how ! jus 2 nasty scratched :dead:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
seb182 said:
lets be honest, we all rag it form time to time. not saying it is right but it is true!

I'd agree with that, however what comes with age is when ur mature enough to know when to rag it or not.....

BG 182 FF
i know yer, im after a snooper. i know i should just slow down, but jus to be on the safe side a snooper would be lafin. 3 points now would be so harsh...i cudnt aford to drive again to be onest, not until me aprenticeship is finished anyways

BG 182 FF
i realy hope its just a wheel bearing! luckily iv got 200 odd saved for me apex 60mm kit, but if its anythin more than a wheel bearing ill hav to pay for it with that or as much as i can. i mite be cheaky an take it into the garage i got it from, an jus say its started makin funy noises, maybe theyl do it under waranty haha

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
I'd say you prolly done a bit more than a wheel bearing, I'd say you prolly bent the stub axle to, you will find out for definate when you remove the bearing, the old one may come off smoothish, but the new one will prolly not fit on, as its bent like a bannana! they aint really that cheap either!

One with a few more
Well jsut think that you're lucky you learnt how easy Clio's backsides slip out in a fairly light way!
My boyfriend discovered this tendency on a coastroad, the rolled the car over eight times down a hill and onto the roof. and that was my car.
I often wonder why this tendency hasnt been looked into further

ST
The rear end of any front wheel drive car will slide out easily of provoked.....maybe your boyfriend thought he had a bit more tallent than he really had.....

Megane Mk4
Dont I just know it.. I went to wash the car about 2 weeks ago, roads slightly damp and I was in a 60mph limit zone.
I'd forgot about the nice tightening bend I was on..
I felt the back end start to slide out, so I tapped the accelerator to pull it back again.. Nearly filled my pants.. even more so because there was a car coming the opposite way and If I hadnt have done something about it I would've side-swiped the car too :eek:

Not an nice feeling...

Hope you get the wheel sorted ;)

Andi

haha, yeah...its good fun when it almost goes... for like 3second after ur in a daze...then u realise ur hands are SQUEEZING the crap out of teh steering wheel... lol.

Rear torsion bar on Mk1s isnt very forgiving... if you do get weight back onto the back wheels using what some ppl are calling "talent" (which I call experience) then the torsion bar (being un-progressive) just throws it back at ya... lol... right arse!

almost EVERYTHING in the world gets better with practice, driving an FF car on the limit is one of them. :)

-Akira