ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K&N filters - are they worth it?

Peugeot 306 HDi
I read in Auto Express magazine how a K&N air filter can up power a little and improve fuel consumption because it helps the engine breathe more easily. I don't know a lot about the mechanicals of cars, and I'd appreciate some guidance; is it a worthwhile modification?

As the filter is only about £30 and should last forever (apparently), seems to improve performance and economy, and is easy to fit, it all seems almost too good. Would I notice any difference in performance etc., and are there any downsides such as insurance penalties? My car is otherwise standard and I plan on leaving it like that, so is there any point in changing the air filter?

I'm not looking for all out power gains, but smoother running, more oomph (however little this may be) and lower fuel consumption all sounds good to me!

Thanks!

Peugeot 306 HDi
Yeah, sorry about the length... So it really is as good as it sounds?

What about insurance? (I'm 18) :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I had one, took it off as it was to loud and annoyed me, made the car slower if anything, why would renault spend £'s developing there own if a cheap K&N is better?

Peugeot 306 HDi
I had one, took it off as it was to loud and annoyed me, made the car slower if anything, why would renault spend £'s developing there own if a cheap K&N is better?

^ Well that's partly why I wondered. Although the fact a standard filter needs replacing every so often, and hence they get more money did occur to me...:)

Peugeot 306 HDi
Lol true.

Anymore help anyone? Someone said it'll make the car really noisy; if it's subtle I don't mind but I don't want it to sound like a motorbike...

1.6 16v clio priv
A k&n straight replacement air filter will make a small improvement. Doubt if you will notice it.. Would be worth trying though. A k&n 57i induction kit will make a much louder noise but will reduce power because it sucks in warm air from under the bonnet. A couple of small holes in your air box will allow a bigger noise but not let much warm air in. Try with small holes first if you try that and remember if you make them to big your car will just suck in warm air and that will loose you power.

Peugeot 306 HDi
OK, thanks. I might well give it a go because it's so cheap. Can always ebay it if I don't like it. Just need to check it isn't going to affect my insurance first...

1.6 16v clio priv
A standard fit replacement air fitter will not affect your insurance. Technically its not a mod its a k&n branded standard filter. You dont even have to declare it. Think of it this way. If you swap to ngk spark plugs to make your car run better you wouldn't expect to tell your insurance. A k57i needs to be declared but a replacement filter dont

BG 182
Ive got the panel replacement filter, cant really tell the power difference but after a couple of weeks of it being in i could see that my mpg was better.

1.6 16v clio priv
The power increase is about 1bhp or less so i doubt anyone would notice it. But the extra air allows for a cleaner burn.

Peugeot 306 HDi
The power increase is about 1bhp or less so i doubt anyone would notice it. But the extra air allows for a cleaner burn.

Yeah, although I was told it should help responsiveness because of the cleaner burn. I'm not expecting great gains, but a little more pull etc would be nice.

Thanks for all the info. It's made my mind up.

My next question is, where is the air filter in a 1.2 16v? Checked under the bonnet last week and couldn't see it. Nothing in the handbook either. Anyone got a picture please?:D

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fcuk me gently! You drive a 1.2 clio not a M3 for fcuk sake!!

A filter will sound better but will do fcuk all to your performance. At all.

Don't beleive all you read pal, its called sales tecnique!!

(p.s, the LochNess monster is not real.....)

Peugeot 306 HDi
Lol I don't, trust me! Especially in adverts and newspapers!

I didn't read that, it came from a friend who knows a fair bit about modified cars...

Is it not real? Damn...

Nissan 370Z
no it does work, just very little. i fitted my k and n one last week and it does run slightly better but no difference in mpg. its the black box, its fairly long and not very wide, you take 2 screws out and then you will know what to do from there, if u wait 2weeks ill be selling mine only because im putting on a pipercross viper. cheers

clio 200 F4Rt
open air filters suck nothing but hot air from the engine bay in.

If you want a decent induction kit, then only an ITG Maxogen will do in my opinion (and theyre 300 quid +).

otherwise stick with the standard airbox setup, and stick a panel filter in.

Peugeot 306 HDi
No don't want to go the induction kit route. Just liked the sound of the K&N filter. How much would you be selling for Medici999?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
no it does work, just very little. i fitted my k and n one last week and it does run slightly better but no difference in mpg. its the black box, its fairly long and not very wide, you take 2 screws out and then you will know what to do from there, if u wait 2weeks ill be selling mine only because im putting on a pipercross viper. cheers

so you say the K&N works, makes the car run better, but theres no increase in MPG.....
So how exactly is the car running better??

1.6 16v clio priv

so you say the K&N works, makes the car run better, but theres no increase in MPG.....
So how exactly is the car running better??

i would suspect he means in terms of responsiveness and smoothe take up.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
sorry to jump in on this post but i'm thinking about getting a new filter!

is K&N the best one to get? ive seen the itg one and ppl seem to like it?

any views on which one is the best? (for my 172)

1.6 16v clio priv
Fcuk me gently! You drive a 1.2 clio not a M3 for fcuk sake!!

A filter will sound better but will do fcuk all to your performance. At all.

Don't beleive all you read pal, its called sales tecnique!!

(p.s, the LochNess monster is not real.....)

there is no need to be harsh about it. By asking the question the lad has already shown that he doesn't believe all the marketing hype. he has already stated that he knows little on the subject. It was a wise move asking advice from those more knowledgable. If you have advice or an opinion to give then give it but there is no need to lay into someone.

Nissan 370Z
yes i mean in responsiveness, you cant disagree with me as it shows mpg and im driving the car so i can feel the diference, pm me about selling my k & n. thanks

Clio 172 mk2
sorry to jump in on this post but i'm thinking about getting a new filter!

is K&N the best one to get? ive seen the itg one and ppl seem to like it?

any views on which one is the best? (for my 172)

ITG & Green are also good panel filters.....not really much to choose between them, just prices vary.

Renault Clio 1.6 16v
its swings and roundabouts really, I have a k&n panel filter on my clio and it does make it a tad more responsive, and give a tiny bit of extra grunt on the motorway etc it is only a tiny bit.

Panel filters usually give better gains than something like a 57i kit because as already side they suck a s**t load of hot air in off the engine. If you want to talk ik's then you'd need a closed inducation kit like a viper etc that takes only forced air from the front of the car.

On a 1.2 clio your not really gonna notice any improvement, but if you really want to do something then I'd say get just get a panel filter when the o/e one needs replacing, if you go spunk loads of money on an i'k for a 1.2 then you'll end up regretting it.

Peugeot 306 HDi
Thanks bigmonmulgrew, that was exactly why I did ask. The filter's 'benefits' seemed too good to be true and I wanted an unbiased view.:approve:

PM'd, Medici999. Cheers.

Will