ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K&N Gen 2 .. Worth it?

Silver 1.4 16v Dynamique
Trying to decide on what Induction Kit To get For my 1.4 16v

Is there much difference between the K&N 57i and The K&N Gen2 except the price tag?

Also does anyone have Pics Of them installed

Cheers

Clio 172 mk2
Gen 2 comes with it's own heatshield/box so is a tad more expensive.

I wouldn't bother with either....just go for an enclosed system

Silver 1.4 16v Dynamique
ok . Thnks for advice... is the BMC still easy to fit even tho it is meant for a 1.6 16v?? Does it sound good ... Because i heard that enclosed systems dont sound as good as open ones.

Also what Silicone Elbow do i need and wheres best to get it ,

Anyone got pics of them installed ???? Cheers

Last edited:
sorry mate i disagree i have a gen 2 on my car and the car runs like dream it is not cos of the great sound the pic up through range is so much better and i have had an itg panel filter on the car, bmc cda and viper and these were so so crap it was unreal!!! if you can find one at a good price mate go for it

Agree with Clidge although I have no experience with either kit but the gen 2 would probably work better than the original 57i.
with the heatshield on the gen 2 and some decent cold air feeds it should run sweet. This is the kit I am looking to replace my itg panel with!
Clidge seems to have had some experience with a few kits and rates this one.
Alot of people slate the open induction kit but if you speak to BBPT who use open green induction kits they have done lots of tests with different induction kits, closed, open and panel filters and found that an ordinary induction kit with decent cold air feeds makes good improvements over most other kits.
Rob.

clio 1.2 16v
hi m8 this is wat my KN57i looks like

Gavin-0003.gif

Renault Clio mk2 RSi 16v
GET A K&N GEN 2 !! it is unbeliveabley wicked ! i looked at getting a bmc for my 1.6 16v and you will struggle with it because of the two air senors on the bloodly thing ! would bother with a viper either . i went to get this before i got my k&n and told my its a crap filter and after time the foam in the filter brakes up and can get sucked in to your engine ! ive notice a difference in the rev range when i put the Gen 2 on , revs more freely and ive notice the little bit of a boost around 4k . this is what it sounds like on mine . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Mbdx6osok and this what it looks like
P1010042.jpg

Clio 172 mk2
The Gen 2 is defiantely going to be better than a 57i due to the heatshield/box configuration.

I had a K&N cone on my old Renault 19 16v and even with a good cold air feed it felt as flat as fook, especially in the summer.

R

rich[182]

rwaterman said:
Agree with Clidge although I have no experience with either kit but the gen 2 would probably work better than the original 57i.
with the heatshield on the gen 2 and some decent cold air feeds it should run sweet. This is the kit I am looking to replace my itg panel with!
Clidge seems to have had some experience with a few kits and rates this one.
Alot of people slate the open induction kit but if you speak to BBPT who use open green induction kits they have done lots of tests with different induction kits, closed, open and panel filters and found that an ordinary induction kit with decent cold air feeds makes good improvements over most other kits.
Rob.

Interesting re. BBPT, you'd think they wouldn't sell them if they were specifically rubbish on the cliosports ?

rich[182] said:
Interesting re. BBPT, you'd think they wouldn't sell them if they were specifically rubbish on the cliosports ?

When I was up there last I was speaking to Andy for ages about different filter options he told me of all the tests they had done with different filters etc.
They even tested the temperature under the bonnet doing some of these tests..
We spoke about the whole heat soak issue even with the original airbox and performance panel you will still get heat soak when stuck in traffic where and when heatsoak occurs.
I always here people talk about sitting in traffic and the induction kit sucking in hot air but surely this doesnt matter coz your stuck in traffic anyway.
So with some decent feeds and of course the heat sheild with the gen2 when driving along the ik will be getting the air it needs??
This is just my experience maybe others had tried there own tests or have there own experiences and there views may differ.
Rob.

Shhh
Ive got a K&N apollo fitted to the 182.

If you live local, your more than welcome to try the thing out on your car if you leave a relevant deposit. I could do with getting it off the car for a few days to let the fueling get back to normal.

AliasOmega said:
Ive got a K&N apollo fitted to the 182.

If you live local, your more than welcome to try the thing out on your car if you leave a relevant deposit. I could do with getting it off the car for a few days to let the fueling get back to normal.

How much does it change the fueling by mate? Have you got any pics?

R

rich[182]

BBPT also do a 200bhp conversion includes a green open IK, surely if they were crap they'd sell the kit with a panel filter and knock £50 off the kit price

Just playing devils advocate here, just find it interesting that BBPT sell open IK if they are crap, I also remember speaking to Nick @ Hillpower last year who'd also done loads of tests with their IK (the one with the almost enclosed heat shield)

Clio 172 mk2
rich[182] said:
BBPT also do a 200bhp conversion includes a green open IK, surely if they were crap they'd sell the kit with a panel filter and knock £50 off the kit price

Just playing devils advocate here, just find it interesting that BBPT sell open IK if they are crap, I also remember speaking to Nick @ Hillpower last year who'd also done loads of tests with their IK (the one with the almost enclosed heat shield)

200bhp conversion is your answer....with this and proper mapping the IK may well help the modifcations make the power.

For std/lightly modified cars I'd say the gains/benefits are marginal except for the noise.

this has brought up some very good points a good thread this is guys!!! it seem that cars with mods 90% of them have open induction kits and i think with good airfeed and set up the open kits are good overall