ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

k&n power decrease

I have recently fitted a k&n induction kit to my car, I have noticed that the power has decreased gradually while driving, has anyone else had similar problems? Why does this happen?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Because its an open kit.

in the current weather your just drawing in warm air

Warm air = less power

So in warm weather the enclosed system fitted as standard creates more power than the open k&n, but in cooler temperatures the k&n will be better?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

In theory. but in practice unless you get a bmc or a viper then the std box will always make more power. the k&n will just pick up engine heat over time

Best bet is a replacement panel

[Edited by Tomclio182 on 24 May 2004 at 12:02pm]

Warm air is less dense than cool air. As warm air expends, you will get less oxygen in a given volume compared to cold. This will then produce a smaller exposion and therefore develop less power.

The idea of a replacement filter is to off less restriction to air flow. As the conical filters came about they offered less restriction, but drew in air from they bay ie warm. The BMC types offer free flow whilst drawing in cold air, plus they are sheilded to minimise the effect from the engine heat.

Turbocharging works on a priciple of forcing a compressed volume in, therefore generating more energy in the explosion.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by cupnorth on 24 May 2004

So how much is a viper or BMC gonna cost??
The Viper is about £250 but the BMC is only about £170 and youd be better off with one of them.

I had a Viper on my Cup, but have a BMC on my CTR and they are both good.

cheers for all your help, I am gonna stick with the k&n for now and possibly look to getting a viper or BMC when I have some spare cash!

am i correct in thinking that if you fit either a viper or a BMC you would need to get a remap done. And how much would that cost ??

If you want it done properly get a dastek, theyll then rolling road it for you and put a remap on relative to your engine. Not sure on the cost can be around £400 but I may be wrong.

£400 for a IK and roughly a 5Bhp increase. Bloody expensive. Dont think i will bother...I was interested in getting a viper but too pricey

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by flash80uk on 24 May 2004

am i correct in thinking that if you fit either a viper or a BMC you would need to get a remap done. And how much would that cost ??
No, you shouldnt need a re-map!

ive heard a few people state that you NEED to get your car re-mapped after fitting a viper or BMC to ensure your car is not running lean. Not much point in shelling out a few hundred quid for a IK and not getting the full benefit of it. I am right or wrong. If i need to Re-map, i may not bother with a viper...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by flash80uk on 24 May 2004

ive heard a few people state that you NEED to get your car re-mapped after fitting a viper or BMC to ensure your car is not running lean. Not much point in shelling out a few hundred quid for a IK and not getting the full benefit of it. I am right or wrong. If i need to Re-map, i may not bother with a viper...
Trust me, I had a Viper on my Cup for the 9 months I had it, and did not have a re-map.

It ran very well, made superb power & torque on the rollers, was not running lean and ran 14.5s 1/4 miles, so deffo not a problem!

how abt if one did the exhaust system too... would a re-map be advisable? Can the r-sport ecu do the job?

btw, had a try in the ctr recently and I must admit when I floor it, had the same grin on ma face as when I first had me clio! :D

the performance of the car is not what you should be concerned about when running lean - detonation (pinking) and high running temps another - engine melting stuff if too lean. Point im making is strip times are not an indication of whether your engine is running ok!!

Need to get emissions and fuelling checked.

The air mass meter monitors air intake and adjusts fuel accordingly

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by matt the cat on 25 May 2004

the performance of the car is not what you should be concerned about when running lean - detonation (pinking) and high running temps another - engine melting stuff if too lean. Point im making is strip times are not an indication of whether your engine is running ok!!

As I said in my last post, my car was on the rollers and the fuelling/emissions were checked and it was NOT too lean...

so some people say you do NEED to get a re-map and some people say you DONT. A bit confusing. Dont know whether to go for a viper or not.....:confused:

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 25 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by matt the cat on 25 May 2004

As I said in my last post, my car was on the rollers and the fuelling/emissions were checked and it was NOT too lean...
Fair doos mate...my mistake!