ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec sits too low....

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
So i fitted my cat back a coulpe of weeks ago. It was knocking a bit and the centre section was sitting roughly 6 inches from the floor. Had another go at it and it seemed to be okay. Now its gone back to the way it was. im guessing the rubbers are knackered. Ive read somewhere that NW Performance do upratded rubbers. Worth it? I know theres a guide that you can stuff the mounts with hose pipe and cable ties, but to be honest if its not mad money would prefer to just replace them with new ones.

Dan

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Only uprated ones are the prima racing (i think) NWP ones are just normal ones, even when new they're crap.

K-tec Stealth is such a heavy system it will keep sagging no matter what you do really. Mine was scraping on flat ground when my car was slammed!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i realise that mate. The back box sits loads better than it did. Still see it but thats fine with me. But the centre sits too low causing it to knock on the rear beam.

Dan

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
copper tube in a new exhaust mount. mine has lasted over a year so far

Same as what i did, but I also found a rubber tube that the copper tube fitted in nicely so should wear bit longer.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I ditched the centre sectioned rubber hanger too as it stretched to the point of snapping with the mild steel stealth system. I went to Halfords for a solution and found what was an L shaped metal bracket with a heavy duty flexible strap on the end of it. I drilled a hole in the bracket and used the original bolt to fix the bracket where the OE hanger used to be. Then i jacked up the exhaust and then drilled another hole in the rubber to take the hook that's on the hanger K Tec supplied. Hey presto, it's been 4-5 months now and it's still in the same position. The weight of the stealth exhaust and OE hanger lasted 2 days

Spooky

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT
I'm still a firm believer that the exhaust itself needs to be straightened out...

Its as thought the exhaust was made off the car and just slapped in place to flog them off at silly money...or it could be a genuine design idea ;)

ph1 172
I had a k-tec and they are very heavy systems. After a lot of fettling I got it sat right at the rear and stopped the knocking on the rear axle. Centre section always sagged though, even with brand new modded mounts.

Ratchet strap round whole car may help! Good luck.;)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Lol. Think i will go down the cable tie route first. just had another quick look under the car. The backbox fits okay, just the centrre that sags. Obvoiusly the rubber has stretched too much. Will go down the route of a new hanger accompioned by cable ties. Is it obvoius where to put the ties? Obviously not having access to a ramp until tomo i dont know how easy or not it will be. Oh and thanks for all the quick responses guys

Dan

ph1 172
Lol. Think i will go down the cable tie route first. just had another quick look under the car. The backbox fits okay, just the centrre that sags. Obvoiusly the rubber has stretched too much. Will go down the route of a new hanger accompioned by cable ties. Is it obvoius where to put the ties? Obviously not having access to a ramp until tomo i dont know how easy or not it will be. Oh and thanks for all the quick responses guys

Dan

Thats what I did to mine. I put small cut offs of hydraulic pipe in mine and cable tied it to pull it up as much as possible.

I actually still have a spare k-tec centre section that I plasma cut the heavy centre box off and welded it up to make it staright though if your interested;)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
All sorted. A couple of sockets in the rear hanger accompioned by a couple of cable ties and jobs a good un. Cheers everyone

Dan

Clio 197
good news on getting it sorted - its a shame that you have to bodge it a but with an exhaust system you are paying £230+ for!

clio mk2 1.6 16v
or you could just get a bracket drill through to spare wheel bay and make another bracket to hold it up, that what i done lol 2 brackets better than one!!

182, 6r GTi
this is how my k-tec stealth sat its the supersport one and it does sit a bit to low would be nice if it sat up higher.

17553_1347865259600_1320372872_996409_4623087_n.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair mine sits much better than that. The middle hangs down a bit, but nothing major

Dan

Jb.

Mk2 Ph2 Non-Sport
or you could just get a bracket drill through to spare wheel bay and make another bracket to hold it up, that what i done lol 2 brackets better than one!!

Sounds like a good idea, where did you get the second bracket from?

Nissan 350z
I went through all this hassle with my Ktec system on my 172. After numerous trips to exhaust fitters my solution was:

- Replace both the Middle and Rear exhaust hangers
- New Cat>Manifold fitting kit as the system had ruined it with all the weight
- Place cable ties around the edge of the middle mount so it keeps its shape and doesnt stretch
- Pack the rear mount (copper tube, socket etc) and secure with cable ties (to prevent it leaning to 1 side or the other)

After all this the exhaust sat how i expected it to. But yes overall a bodge job and alot of unwanted and unknown hassle when buying.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I went through all this hassle with my Ktec system on my 172. After numerous trips to exhaust fitters my solution was:

- Replace both the Middle and Rear exhaust hangers
- New Cat>Manifold fitting kit as the system had ruined it with all the weight
- Place cable ties around the edge of the middle mount so it keeps its shape and doesnt stretch
- Pack the rear mount (copper tube, socket etc) and secure with cable ties (to prevent it leaning to 1 side or the other)

After all this the exhaust sat how i expected it to. But yes overall a bodge job and alot of unwanted and unknown hassle when buying.

So the middle of yours sagged? Did it it catch on ramps?

Lol, you wern't behind him on the way to trax either jon.

I had the pleasure of fitting it for him lol. Removing the old was a nightmare cos of where it snapped. Then fitting the new one turned in to a mare as well, and with it constantly dropping down and having to keep adjusting it.