ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keep 182 or lease new Fiesta ST?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
The figures for the clio seem a little exaggerated to me.

4 x tyres per 12000 miles - stop wheel spinning out of junctions!

29 mpg - stop driving like a lunatic everywhere!

£300 for servicing - you getting it done at renault? Get it done yourself as can be sorted for less than half.

mot for £55 - shop around as most people will do it for £35.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Why not?

The depreciation alone is pretty much what I am paying monthly. i have a friend who buys a new car every 3 years, has just PX his volvo C30 for an Audi A3 1.6tdi and freely admits to having lost £11k on the volvo in 3 years (plus fuel, servicing, insurance.......) for what? The fiesta will be £11k all in for 3 years so i am basically paying £160/month for fuel, insurance, tax, servicing, tyres the lot, and suffering no depreciation either, I will (just like him) have a new car in 3 years and carry on.

If I went out and specced the fiesta up tomorrow and paid for it I'd be looking at nearly £20k (plus fuel etc) if I decide I want it after 3 years I pay a discounted price for it (say £9k) and keep it, I have paid for the depreciation and run the car for free in the 3 years i have owned it!

Personally I would just buy a car for 11k and keep it. If you can afford a car upfront then there is some really great stuff about.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

4 x tyres per 12000 miles - stop wheel spinning out of junctions! depending on what tyres 12k is good going

29 mpg - stop driving like a lunatic everywhere! perhaps he has a short commute?

£300 for servicing - you getting it done at renault? Get it done yourself as can be sorted for less than half. not everyone can service things themselves, and many people want to have a service history. Having a rare colour too would ensure the value is kept as high as possible

mot for £55 - shop around as most people will do it for £35. the cheaper the mot the more they tend to find wrong with the car. Cheap mot gets the customers in, then they pick up on small things that the dearer garages would let go costing you more in the long run

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
So he uses a 182 the way it was built for. Is he got the fiesta is would be more fuel efficient with the same driving style

​the rest are valid numbers

Cars cost money. It's personal choice how you take the hit.

OP should get the Fiesta. It's vastly superior to a 182.

For sure. I like a bit of banter about renting etc. but some people bleat on as though they are the master race because they buy used cars with 100k miles.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
If that's directed at me I was simply pointing out that the costs for the 182 seemed a little on the high side...

work for BMW
For sure. I like a bit of banter about renting etc. but some people bleat on as though they are the master race because they buy used cars with 100k miles.

I bought a 102k Peugeot 106 a few months back can I be in the master race please ?:)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yea it's nice to have a new car but I'd rather financially have a decent return.

But you said it was money down the pan.

How?

Owning a car, costs money. Some people chose to spend theirs on a brand new car, some choose a second hand car. The fact still remains, unless you're a Quentin Wilson, owning a car will cost you money.

As for your 'I'd rather see a financial return' comment, that's just mentally blinkered. On numerous levels.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My leon, £14,000 for it now then give it back in 13 months they hand me £13,750, best deal in world ever?

M2 Comp
Wouldn't think twice myself if it's only an extra £110 a month....

You should definitely get one in Spirit Blue though!

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Good question on this one. I'm not sure what I'd do as I love my 182 and it costs me hardly anything to run. Yea tyres are quite expensive but if you look after them they'll last. I sat in the new clio the other day and I have to say after literally hating it, when I got out and looked around it I thought that could be my new car - in LY it was amazing and the interior looked very smart.

I'm lucky in a way as I'm keeping the 182 now as no point selling but will be looking at a new car soon.

After reading up and seeing numerous videos on the ST, it does look impressive. Either way you are onto a win win situation.

4 x tyres per 12000 miles - stop wheel spinning out of junctions!

29 mpg - stop driving like a lunatic everywhere!

£300 for servicing - you getting it done at renault? Get it done yourself as can be sorted for less than half.

mot for £55 - shop around as most people will do it for £35.

His figures are completely reasonable imo.

Italian 3.2 V6
But you said it was money down the pan.

How?

Owning a car, costs money. Some people chose to spend theirs on a brand new car, some choose a second hand car. The fact still remains, unless you're a Quentin Wilson, owning a car will cost you money.

As for your 'I'd rather see a financial return' comment, that's just mentally blinkered. On numerous levels.

Obviously cars cost money ya goat! I'm on about leasing/PCP'n new cars. Would much rather loan a car and at the end of the term at least it's worth some money in return!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I always go by; never drive a car you can't afford to buy up front. I've only ever borrowed to buy a car when I have needed to sell my other one but can't be without a car.

I love the PB btw

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
His figures are completely reasonable imo.

Agree wick.

I would say an under estimate if anything. In the past year the 182 has had over 2k spend on just maintenance with no mods. That's just maintaining great suspension and original performance with the best quality available. To keep a car in tip top shape costs way more than that and it's the same with any car

Depends if you can afford to repair non warranty work or not

I was thinking of getting a new car and the ST Fiesta was top of the list, however I want to do a lot more track days next year. At least if the 182 goes bang an engine swap is pretty cheap. Not so much in the ST I thought so I swiftly changed my mind ...

PB 182 (1 of 29)
Personally I would just buy a car for 11k and keep it. If you can afford a car upfront then there is some really great stuff about.

If I had £11k I'd be keeping the 182 and getting a £10k 330D m sport for the commute with the other grand going on swirl flap replacement, DPF removal and remap and some black shadow trim. I don't have the cash up front (only what the Clio is worth) as I am spending spare cash renovating my house for which I will (and am) showing good potential financial increases.

The lease plan with salary sacrifice saves me 20% at the off and means I am basically paying off the depreciation of my spanky new car and getting everything else for free, for the same as a 182 which will have nearly 100k on the clock in 3 years and be worth £1200.

This really means I am getting a new fiesta for £300 a year more than my Clio with no bills (I won't have the £1200 Clio to sell that is all I will lose). In the mean time (3 years is a long time) I get no bills, nasty or otherwise, no potential heartache (I bought a classic impreza from a main dealer that had a sensor failure after 6 months (wear and tear obviously) and fried the engine, just under £3k later I had it back!).

If the fiesta breaks they fix it or give me a new one - for £300/year more than the Clio - I think I'm convinced!!

PB 182 (1 of 29)
I always go by; never drive a car you can't afford to buy up front. I've only ever borrowed to buy a car when I have needed to sell my other one but can't be without a car.

I love the PB btw

Not borrowing to buy, renting for more or less the same as I am paying out now, if you include the £3000ish I'll put towards the rental it's almost less than now, so how can I not afford a Fiesta that essentially has a negative cost?