ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kenny's Kup

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Hello,

I've been lurking on here for a few years now but figured it was about time I posted.
I'm currently working away offshore and I forgot to bring my memory stick with the pictures on it so please excuse the ramble, I'll update this with some pictures when I get home.

I sold my Spec C Impreza at the end of last year, and as good as it was, I was basically just fed up with Subaru's, i've had 3 of them over the last 5 or 6 years and decided it was time to move on and do something different.
I also decided I didnt need or want a fast road car anymore, and to get away from the age old problem of trying to build a car that you can live with on the road, yet still capable if you take it on track, no matter what you do you still have to make some compromises.

I've got a few friends who do hills and sprints and over the years I've helped them with their cars but never seriously considered trying to have a go at it my self. Last year I did a wee track day at a local sprint circuit and I also did the MLR sprint at Ingliston in my Spec C. I really enjoyed it but knew I didnt want to use that car to compete in.

So, on with the plan. The Spec C was sold and I started thinking about what I wanted to do. I toyed with a few ideas but in the end I decided to build a 172 Cup and have a go at some sprints, hillclimbs and possibly some trackdays. My job means that I might not be able to attend as many events as I would like so I'm just going to take it as it comes and do what ever I can, main thing is just to have some fun.

I've picked up a nice old A6 Tdi for sensible money which will serve as an everyday runner and tow car eventually.

One of my old mans mates is in the motor trade, to cut a long story short, he did a bit of enquiring locally to see if there was a suitable donor car to be had and within a few days he'd come up with something. It had been traded in to Hoggmotorco in Glasgow and sounded like an ideal candidate so I phoned Sean and arranged to go for a look.

The first thing that got my attention was the reg no' SY52 KUP
Turns out the car was first registered by Ness Motors in Inverness, and then one owner since they sold it in 2003. 80k full history, all mot's, reciepts, belt done etc. The car had a few cosmetic blemishes, a small scuff on the front bumper, wheels needing a refurb etc hence why Sean wasnt looking to retail the car but it was probably still a bit too good for what I was going to use it for lol Needless to say we did a deal and I drove the car home later that day.

I've been reading through some of the other project threads in here for ideas and inspiration, some really nice builds, so I've got a rough Idea of what I'd like to do but there's still loads I need to learn.
Initial progress might not be as quick as I'd like as I still need to finalise where I'm going to build the car, got a few options but unfortunately none are ideal. I've got a small garage but there's only so much I can do in there. When I get home I'll make a start stripping the interior and removing sound proofing etc then take it from there.

Cheers

Kenny.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Ingliston MLR sprint is on the 24th of July this year.

I dont have a deadline for getting the car built, just going to work on it as and when I can, but I doubt I'll be doing anything in it this year.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Still no pictures i'm afraid but I did make some progress on the car while I was home.

Got most of the interior out but left the drivers seat and clocks etc to allow it to be driven. Also made a start removing the tar sound proofing etc most of it is coming off easy enough but I'm not sure how to get the two bits out of the C-pillar behind where the seatbelts go?

Took the bumpers and splash guards off and gave the car a good clean underneath, bumpers are now just back on with minimal bolts to allow the car to be driven.

My goal is to get the car as light as possible so as I've been working my way round the car I've been taking note of where to loose weight from, some of them obvious, some of them a bit more drastic ;) Not removed a door yet but they must weight a lot :eek: the top section by the window looks like it's at least 3 layers, with the middle one being 2-3mm thick.

I've also been working on somewhere to build the car, found a small unit not far from my girlfriends place which I'm going to see when I get back home. If it's suitable then I'll hopefully get the car in there asap and start making some proper progress on it and I'll be able to liven this thread up a bit with some decent pictures

Kenny.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Well, I went to see the industrial unit but unfortunately it wasnt what I'd hoped for, the unit it's self was ok but the location wasnt so good, bit too secluded.
Thankfully a mate came to the rescue and offered me some space in his barn, and free rein to do what I wanted with the space. So for the past few days i've been building a workshop in one corner of the barn, it's coming along quite well so hoping to get the car up there soon as.
I'm also hoping to get the cage ordered before I go back offshore so it should be here for when I get home, top of the short list just now is a Custom Cages multipoint in T45.
I've spoken to a guy who's done some welding for me in the past, and he's happy to come and weld the cage in, plus any other bits of fabrication that need doing along the way, his tig is as good as any I've ever seen plus it saves me having to trailer the car somewhere to have it fitted.

Some pictures from when I got the car, more to follow as soon as I get it up to the farm

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
It's been a quick 3 weeks, time to go back to work tomorrow :(
Still, i've managed to get the workshop built and it's pretty much ready for the car, put the second coat of paint on the floor this morning so it'll be properly dried by time I get home.
All thats left to do is to put up a few shelves, finish off the workbench and connect up the other two lights. I've got my compressor hooked up too so i'll have air tools on hand, and should be able to get my mate to paint the inside of the car once the cage is in.

IMGP3463.jpg

It's going to be a long two weeks offshore! cant wait to get back and get stuck in.
I appreciate this thread/project has been a bit of a slow start but hopefully now it should start moving a bit quicker.

Kenny.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Good size workshop mate. Plenty of space to work some magic with the car.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I'll keep this updated and ill do my best to take picutres of progress, sometimes I get drawn in and too focussed on what I'm doing and forget to stop and take pics.

I phoned Custom Cages the other day and ordered the cage, went for the full multipoint in T45, hopefully it should be ready for when I get home :cool:

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Finally got the workshop finished :cool: or at least to a stage where it's good enough that I can crack on with the car, i'll just add bits to it as I go

IMGP3491.jpg

IMGP3492.jpg

Got the car in about 3pm and continued removing the interior,

IMGP3496.jpg

This was as far as I'd stripped it working from my lock up

IMGP3498.jpg

IMGP3499.jpg

A short while later

IMGP3510.jpg

This is as far as I got with the interior

IMGP3515.jpg

Then made a start at the front

IMGP3520.jpg

Decided to called it a day at that, just happy to get the car in there and be able to get cracking with it.
Next time I'm there I'll finish stripping the rest of the interior, remove all the tar sound proofing etc and then work my way through the engine bay and get ready to pull the engine and box out.

Kenny.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Only just seen your thread. I'm sorry about not getting those pictures of the rear beam etc, I've got a memory like a fish lol.

Your workshop is epic!!!!! It's my fav part of this thread so far ;) lol

Good luck with the build I look forward to seeing the cage :)

billabong...
looking like a good project! and the workshop you've got there is great! nice work!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Lol, no worries. I was just trying to keep my mind occupied while I was away at work, thinking about where to mount a smaller tank and an alternative exhaust route, all will be revealed in due time ;)

I've got the use of the workshop for as long as I need it but strictly speaking it isnt mine, it was just built as a temporary structure as such it's a bit rough round the edges but it'll do the job.

The cage was supposed to be here today, i'll need to phone them and find out what the hold up is. Still a wee bit of work to do before it's ready to fit so not a big deal just now.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Small update,

I've been pretty busy the past few days so not really had a chance to get much done on the car. I got a call yesterday to say the cage was ready and that it would be out for delivery today, sat in all day and typically it turns up at 5pm so pretty much a whole day lost, hey ho. Got it unpacked and took it up to the farm

IMGP3544.jpg

My mate who's going to weld it in is really busy just now but I may start offering things up and holding it in place with ratchet straps and cut the holes through the bulkhead etc but once thats done there's not much else I can do till he's cleared his feet.

While I was up there I got the heatgun out and set about removing some more of the tar sound proofing, only bits left are in the doors but ill get that off once I chop the inner skin off the door ;)
It all came off easy enough but this bit in the O/S rear pillar is a right tw&t to get at and not end up dropping it all inside the void

IMGP3549.jpg

Tomorrow i'm hoping to get an early start, first job is to get the drivers door stripped and then take it from there, might break out the air saw and see how much I can cut out of the doors ;)

Kenny.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Well that was a quick day, standing back it doesnt look like or feel like a huge amount for 12hrs work but it's all progress.

When I initially removed the rear bumper I was suspicious the car might have had the back panel changed at some point, certainly wasnt a major bump as the tyre well etc was ok, no signs of creases or kinks anywhere just something about it didnt look factory.
Decided to dig a little deaper today and sure enough the back panel has been replaced, guessing it was a while ago though, the date stamp on the bumper is Aug 03 so could well have been when the car was only a year or so old.
Unfortunately the seams couldn't have been sealed 100% and water has been getting in, hacked/buffed all the seam sealer off and it wasnt in particularly good shape.
I decided to bite the bullet and cut it off. Phoned and ordered a new panel which should be here in the morning.
Some of the returns on the boot floor look to have been ground very thin during the first repair, and combined with a bit of rust, bits of it literally just fell off so I'll need to fabricate some new sections to be welded in.
It looks like the bump was on the offside corner under the light, the Chassis rail is fine though, had a good look and it's all straight, no sign of any split seams or creases so not the end of the world, easy enough to repair, and I suppose it's practice for the next time i need to change it, if and when I smack it ! Also a good excuse to see if I can chop some excess metal out when the new panel goes on ;)

After a few hours with a grinder and an air saw

IMGP3558.jpg

I also cut off any unnecessary brackets etc from around the back seat and the boot area.

I then decided to have a look at cutting some weight out the doors,
Before:
IMGP3551.jpg

After
IMGP3555.jpg

Still got a lot to come out obviously, but the air saw makes a real racket so decided to call it a day at that. As I'm sure most of you know the top section of the door is very thick, not got a set of scales up there yet but definately a good saving getting that out. The door now flexes a little bit but certainly no worse than a fibreglass one. I may go to fibreglass doors at some point but for now I think i'll settle for gutting the steel ones.

Kenny.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Not a great deal more to report, tidied up the passenger door and trimmed about as much out as I dare, need to take it off so I can drill out the last 3 spot welds holding the door bar in, but once thats out I recon that should just about do it, it's pretty flimsy but it'll serve it's purpose, all it needs to do now is keep the worst of the wind and rain out.

IMGP3563.jpg

I did my usual and completely forgot to stop and take any pictures of progress :eek: but once I'd done the door, I removed the rear brake lines, fuel tank, filler neck, lines etc. I'm not going to be using the standard tank, got a few ideas for the new one, but nothing confirmed as yet. I also stripped the front suspension, separated everything then put it back together loosely, so i can put the wheels back on as I may want to roll the car outside and give it a blast with a pressure washer.

I'm beginning to think the previous owner must have lived up a dirt track near the sea! The components and running gear on the underside of the car seem to have weathered more than I would have expected for it's age, and everything is caked in mud. Some of the bolts have been tricky to get out but other than that it's not really an issue as most things are either getting binned or the bits that are being kept will be shot blasted and powder coated.

Engine&box out

IMGP3577.jpg

Does anyone know if the bolts and captive nuts which hold the front subframe on are available from a dealer? Got them out but they put up a bit of a fight and the retaining tabs/clips on the nuts fell to bits, subframe just held on with some temporary bolts for now.

Kenny

TrackCar & F30 330d
Ooo kenny you have gone very hardcore with the door cuttage!! How are you going to attach your plastic windows? You appear to have cut the bits off which you usually would have put self tappers into. You will probably need to bond the window in all the way along the bottom of the window.

Looks great tho, doing really well. Engine bay is bloody filthy haha! The little bits on my subframe nuts broke off too. I just bolted them back on any way.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers, progress has been a bit slower than I'd have liked but there's only so much I can do in a day working away on my own.

I'm going to use some M3 or M4 stainless button head allen bolts and go through the small lip on the outside edge of the door, probably going to need about 20-25 of them. Not going to be re-fitting any of the door seals etc

Yeah the engine bay is a right mess but it'll clean up. The actual nuts aren't in the best shape now, they were very tight coming off and the threads are a bit damamged now so really needs new ones.

Not sure what I'll do today, finish stripped off stuff underneath, still a few heat shields to remove and then start cutting off any unecessary brackets and studs etc from the floor.

172/1.2/E30
Subframe nuts and bolts are available at the dealer. Much easier to tighten the bolts when you don´t need to hold the nut.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers,

Yeah phoned the dealer this morning, should be in later today, not that i need them in a major hurry but figure I might as well order bits I need as I go.

Should have been up at the farm ages ago but been a bit distracted since I got up, reading up on things and ordering stuff off the net, morning is just about gone lol.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Fairly major change of plan:

Last week I continued to strip the car down and got it to nothing more than the bare shell and two bits of glass still bonded in. The car was very cheap and I knew when I bought it that it was a bit grubby underneath and some of the suspension parts etc I could see where a bit rusty but I wasnt too phased by this as everything was going to come off and get shot blasted then either painted or powder coated.
However, during the final stage of the strip down it was becoming clear that the rest of the car had weather quite a bit more than I had initially thought. Just about every bolt I touched was seized solid and was either a total pita to remove, sheared off as soon I looked at it or had to be cut off. Then, once the rear beam and fuel tank were off the true state of the corrosion on the shell was evident. The "wee" bump it had at the back several years ago no doubt contributing to that or more so the poor repair that was done. There was also the begining of some rot on the sills under the side skirts, the area round the filler neck and the inner wheel arch behind it were also in a poor state, everywhere I looked I found more and more bad bits.

I sat in my thinking chair with a cuppa and pondered over what to do :dapprove:
I knew everything was repairable or redeemable but it was going to take a lot of hours and require quite a lot of metal to be chopped out and replaced to make it right.
So i was faced with a bit of a dilema, carry on and fix the shell then fit the cage to an already tired/repaired shell or look for a new shell.

I looked in the local adds for 172's and found a few potentials, I went for a look at 2 of them but for the money they wanted they werent really good enough to warrant the expense, I would also have to sell off the left over parts to try and make it worth while.

Final option was to enquire about a new shell, so on the phone to dealer and asked the question, with some discount it was a very tempting proposition. I had a think about it for a few days then finally decided to bite the bullet yesterday and ordered a new shell :p

I'm back offshore now but it should arrive when I'm about due home. It's put a bit of a dent in the budget but at least now I know I'm starting from a straight shell and I can paint the whole thing inside & out and underneath in what ever colour I like without having to spend for ever cleaning off 8 years of road grime.

Kenny.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I did ask them that Chris but they couldnt tell me, I suspect it will come undersealed and in that grey/kaki colour primer. If if it does indeed come undersealed I dont think ill go to the trouble of removing it all, would take ages. The stuff on the underside of the floor will most probably be like stone guard so It'll be paintable.

TrackCar & F30 330d
I did ask them that Chris but they couldnt tell me, I suspect it will come undersealed and in that grey/kaki colour primer. If if it does indeed come undersealed I dont think ill go to the trouble of removing it all, would take ages. The stuff on the underside of the floor will most probably be like stone guard so It'll be paintable.

Hmmmm well under seal and othe sealers weigh roughly 30kg iirc. As its a bare shell have you though about acid dipping and seam welding the shell. That way you will have a very strong and light shell. and once the cage is in you can paint the whole thing.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Where did you read or hear that figure? seems a lot? The stone guard on the floor pan and rear arches might weight a few kgs and if you added up all the seam sealer on the whole car that might come to a few kgs too but all in I cant see much more than 10kgs.
I doubt i'll go as far as acid dipping the shell, trouble with doing that is you strip off the primer etc on the insides of the cavities and it doesnt take long for rust to set in unless you try to put something back on, then your kind of going round in circles, putting waxoyl in to stop hidden rust.
I may well look at doing some additional welding on some of the seams around the bulkhead, strut towers etc but once this cage is in and tied into the strut towers I recon the shell will be pretty stiff.

TrackCar & F30 330d
I guy on here called something like 450bhp or 800bhp had his shell acid dipped and i'm sure i read he lost 30kg. Theres a thread on here somewhere, unfortunatly he had to sell up before finishing the build :(