ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Key Problems!

Black Clio 1.2 16V 2002
Hello,

I own a 2002 1.2 16v clio dynamic, recently i've been having some problems with my keys!

One of my keys will work the central locking but wont let me start the car, when you turn it and it just clicks! :S

So, I've been using my 'spare' key, this now wont work the central locking but will start the engine!

I dont really want to have to carry both keys with me everywhere!

Anyone know how or how much it would be to get either of them fixed?!

Thank You!
xxx

Jap Box
Tried simply replacing the battery in the key that works the ignition?

Does they key that wont start the ignition open the doors?

Black Clio 1.2 16V 2002
Thats what i thought :S can i do that myself or is it a garage job??

One key does the doors but not the ignition the other does the ignition but not the doors

330i. E30 Touring.
Battery is a CR3025, from memory. Key slides apart, and just swap them over..

Jap Box
By doors I mean actually turning the lock, not just the central locking button on the key. You might have had the ignition barrel replaced at some point that will mean the lock will eed a different key for the doors, try using the key that works the ignition to open the lock on the doors without using the button.

Black Clio 1.2 16V 2002
ooo yea they both do the locks like that! but ive got no key slot on my boot! its just the central locking thats the problem.

sorry to sounds stupid but i cant get my key to slide open??

Thank You

PH1 172
yea its not budging for toffee!! :S

Put the key back on the key ring
Make the key and key ring sit at a right angle (hold the key horizontal with the button facing you and let the key ring dangle vertically)
Then twist the key ring as if you want to make it sit flat (hopefully the key ring is strong enough not to bend)
This will in turn prise the top and bottom of the key apart....

Hope the above helps, I can't think of another way of explaining it lol

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Put the key back on the key ring
Make the key and key ring sit at a right angle (hold the key horizontal with the button facing you and let the key ring dangle vertically)
Then twist the key ring as if you want to make it sit flat (hopefully the key ring is strong enough not to bend)
This will in turn prise the top and bottom of the key apart....

Hope the above helps, I can't think of another way of explaining it lol

That works to get the first bit off, but my keyring is too thick for it to come apart enough for it to completely come off.

Black Clio 1.2 16V 2002
ok im either being stupid or its welded on!!!

Lay the key on the table and twist the keyring to ley that flat to??!?

Thank You

a low one
slide the key blade that works the ignition out of the plastic body and put it in the other body that works the central locking.. problem solved?

and if your stills truggling to get it off push down a little and forward at the same time, the key slides off away from the blade btw incase your pushing it forwards?

PH1 172
That works to get the first bit off, but my keyring is too thick for it to come apart enough for it to completely come off.

Trying to remember what I did with mine after I did this......pretty sure I just unhooked it after that.

Another way is to get a kitchen knife or flat head screw driver and use the end to prise it apart

ok im either being stupid or its welded on!!!

Lay the key on the table and twist the keyring to ley that flat to??!?

Thank You

You want to ideally hold the key pointing towards you in one hand and then twist the keyring in the other.....it will budge eventually.

Black Clio 1.2 16V 2002
Thanks for all the tips!!

But this key is not moving one bit!! ive tried twising, a knife anf pushing it forward!! AHHH! lol

PH1 172
Thanks for all the tips!!

But this key is not moving one bit!! ive tried twising, a knife anf pushing it forward!! AHHH! lol

If you have a skewer try that.

Make sure you are trying to slide the button side towards the key blade and the bottom away from the key blade.

Golf GTD Mk7
Stop being a whimp and push it ;) Or get a man to do it :rasp: If it's not the battery it might be a case of resyncing the keys with the UCH unit. A decent key programmer would do it, or if you know someone with Renault CLIP. Otherwise it's off to the dealers i'm afraid. Battery is the first port of call though.

clio
i had a problem with my key, a sencor had gone inside it but it would open my central lockin, but every time i tried to start my engine the immobiliser would kick in because of the broke sencor. took me aaaages to work it out, then found out a new key was about 120 qid or summit. but got the chip changed for 20 qid after spending a fortune on coil pack and tdc sencorss

Black Clio 1.2 16V 2002
Managed to get a man to do it! :p Battery changed over and now i have 1 working key!

Thanks all!
xxx