ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kindles

So the missus is big into books and has previously expressed an interest in having a Kindle so i thought i would get her one for her birthday.

So my questions are...

1. Out of the 4 versions, which is best to get? She had mentioned getting the cheapest version but is it worth paying the £20 extra for touch screen, then if i do that, is it worth the extra £60 for 3G and what are the benefits of the keyboard version?

2. I want to get her a nice case, does anyone have any reccomendations?
There seems to be a lot of nice leather/faux leather ones but they don't seem too female friendly so i've been looking at these but i'm not sure if they offer enough protection

I'm sure plenty of you have experience with them so your oppinions/advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Bus w**ker
I've just bought the standard version last week. The Touch just seems pointless to me and finger prints all over it would piss me off, does my head in on my iPad. So no I'd say it's not worth it, although if you need 3G then you've no choice other than to go with another model...but the only reason for having the 3G model would be if you were on the road a lot and had something like a paper delivered daily other than that how many books are you actually going to need to download when you're away from wifi (plus you could always tether to a smartphone if you got that desperate).

I bought the Kindle leather case, it's nice but a rip at £30.

Just get the standard one. I have the one with the keyboard and it's perfect. Like Sym0n said, no s**t finger prints all over the screen.

I have a leather "pouch", which I like. Nice and slimline, and doesn't make the Kindle bulky when reading.

Ph2 Clio 172
There was about 5 Kindles bought throughout my family at Christmas in a mix of 3G Keyboad, Wifi Keyboard, and the new base one.

The newest base one is by far the best simply because it is significanly smaller and lighter than the keyboard versions. You can add a nice fitting case to it and it doesnt add to much bulk.

The 3G sounds like a great idea, but you never really use it (my sister has a 3G Keyboard and regrets not getting the newer Wifi only one). Browsing the store on a Kindle is pointless if you in easy reach of a PC or laptop. The delivery method through Wifi makes it so easy to just browse online and then send them to your Kindle.

The touch screen is a poinless gimmic that will annoy you more than give any benifits. Its slow and cumbersome and totally not worth the money. The joy of a Kindle is its simplicity.

So my recomendation is the latest cheapest standard version. Got if for my GF and she absolutely loves it.

As for cases, beware, there are a LOT of really really nasty cheap ones about. I bit the bullet and bought the official Kindle one in purple leather and its brilliant. It fits without any straps over it and offers great protection without bulking it up.

So standard Kindle and official case. Anything else is just paying for features you dont need. Use the money saved to buy books!

Pretty much what everyone else has said - I like the keyboard but don't feel the need for touch screen. 3G is handy to have but I have used it once I think and so if I was buying one for myself now wouldn't bother with it.

I don't have a case for mine. I don't really see the need. I suppose for a bird planning to wazz it in her handbag with all manner of other crap it'd be handy.