ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking/Creaking

White APE
In the past week my car has started developing some funny noises and they are starting to get rather annoying and a little worse.
The noises only occur when the car comes to a stop and when pulling away not harshly, just a gentle pull away or stop) im also getting a nocking noise when the car is stationary and turn the wheel slightly.

Could it be the top mounts? I lifted the bonnet and watch them whilst turning the wheel and the rubber mounth was turning too! is that meant to happen?

The car was serviced only a month ago and passed its MOT and nothing was flagged then.

Im uploading a video now of the top mount movement to show what i mean.

Can anyone shed some light on what this could be.

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My car was also suffering from these symptoms. It is a common problem for alot of RS owners.

The top mounts should move as the wheels being turned due to the steering rack pushing the track rod ends side to side causing the mounts to move every so slightly up and down.

The problem when turning the wheel from lock to lock could be the shocker nut catching the turret as you turn the wheel (i think replacing the top-mounts is the fix to this)

As for the creaking it could be steering rack related (the Steering Rack bushes) could need replaced if there away, although there is no real way to tell if its worn/knackered. Replacing the part would be the only way to tell.

Hope this kind of helps :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have a creaking/minor knocking in mine too when reversing with full lock on.

Renault said there was a little bit of play in the o/s ball joint at a free MOT check but other mechanics couldn't see anything wrong with it :S

White APE
Cheers guys. Does that vid look normal then?

IS the sterring rack an expensive fix?

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Cheers guys. Does that vid look normal then?

IS the sterring rack an expensive fix?

Yeah mate completley normal, there should be movement in it. I paniced a little at first when the old boy was showing me it aswell lol.

It doesnt actually sound like a faulty steering rack (the creaking would be louder and more consistent across half and full turns) But it could be the steering rack bushes that are away, Not sure how much this part costs but it wont be as dear as changing a steering rack.

I could be wrong btw, just a few thoughts of common wear and tear on these!

White APE
Cheers mate. As said, its only doing it when pulling away or coming to a stop. I havent noticed anything whilst driving.

The car is booked in at Rentech on thurs to have my new exhaust fitted so may ask them to have a look for me.

Black 172
I also have the same problem. I have a knocking sound when i turn (mostly on full lock), also a creaking noise which is mainly when i go over speed bumps, set off etc. The creak doesn't bother me too much but the knocking worries me slightly as its when i park up etc and turning tight bends.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I also have the same problem. I have a knocking sound when i turn (mostly on full lock), also a creaking noise which is mainly when i go over speed bumps, set off etc. The creak doesn't bother me too much but the knocking worries me slightly as its when i park up etc and turning tight bends.

Exactly the same here

Citroen DS3 White
Mine has started making noises when stopping and pulling away as well, this is very annoying since I drive a lot around central London!

What I did find out is that once you have come to a stop then it creaks a bit when you turn the steering wheel slightly (even on a straight road with the front wheels pointing forwards).

Please keep us updated with what you find out and what it takes to fix it!

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Steering rack bushes it sounds like (for all)

This or you need new top mounts possibly.

Its hard to see whats worn because theres not really any sign that they are worn

White APE
Mine has started making noises when stopping and pulling away as well, this is very annoying since I drive a lot around central London!

What I did find out is that once you have come to a stop then it creaks a bit when you turn the steering wheel slightly (even on a straight road with the front wheels pointing forwards).

Please keep us updated with what you find out and what it takes to fix it!

Exactly it mate. I decided to have a look when i got home last night. Parked up and wiggled the wheel and got the noise. As soon as i jacked the car up and the wheel came off the ground it stopped so its obviously only doing it when theres resistance from the wheel on the ground.

Dont know if its a serious problem or not. Im rather skint so cant be shelling out for things. :(

Clio
I had this on mine and it ended up being the lower ball end joint.

If I was you I would check this for any movement.

ibiza cupra
mine was creaking like a guddn (ask donny) so i drenched it with wd40 and it didnt come back so that would be worth a try.

White APE
Got back from Rentech earlier and sure enough the lower arm ball joint is nakered. Needs replacing but has to wait til pay day :(

"Navy" N17 TWO
FAO the above people with the ball joint problems;

Did you also get a vibrating noise at 50-60mph?

Clio Sport
Hi there Halfpint! :)
Is it a loudish creaking noise if u turn your wheel left or right when stationary or when manouvering? If so, I this problem with my 2001 clio sport, and it turned out to be a Pendulam arm/bush and only cost me £20 to fix with fitment.
Dont know if this is the same problem as ur car but i just thought i might suggest to you as my creak seemed to get worse too.
Good luck, hope u find the problem!
x Stacy x
:)