ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking - helllppp!

Clio 197 Cup
Hi, i recently purchased a low mileage non cup 172, since i got it there has been an annoying knocking coming from the front and rear suspension and all of the usual solutions havent cured it. So far i have done the following:

Replaced both front ball joints
Replaced track rod ends
Replaced front wheel bearings
Fitted poly bushes to front wishbones (welded the steel inserts in first)
Fitted ktec solid top mounts
Fitted all new engine mounts and poly bush dog bone bushes
Fitted poly bush anti roll bar bushes

When I jack the car up there is nothing moving or loose on either of the front or rear wheels, the exhaust is also a new ktec stealth and although I havent fitted new mounts you cannot get it to hit anything no matter how hard you move it about, so im sure this isnt the culprit.

Tonight i have also fitted a set of koni shocks as the originals were leaking and still the noise is there. the car is solid and there is no problem on hard cornering etc but its driving me crazy and i am out of ideas now as i have replaced everything possible. i have even had a lever bar to the rear arms and the bushes are solid.

Ive read through the forum threads and looked at everything people have suggested for knocking and the only things left are the suggestion of moving the engine forward on its mounts and playing with the inner arches and undertray which i will do in the morning, but im pretty sure moving the engine wont help as i dont think the noise is related to the exhaust knocking.

Anyone got any ideas????? The noise is worst at low speed when hitting small bumps, or when going over speed bumps, much like you would get with a knackered set of roll bar bushes!

Clio 197 Cup
I did think that but the rack is solid and i cant get any movement from the cvs so the shafts feel ok. i get it mosy when going slow over rough bumpy ground?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
I have a very very similar problem and have pretty much done exactly the same as you to cure it as well.

Driving me crazy!

Next thing I am changing is the shafts, so I will let you know if it cures my problem, as it could be the resolution to yours :).

Clio 197 Cup
Do you get noise from the rear as well? id have thought that you could check for any issues with the shafts while up on axle stands before replacing them as well? although it will be interesting to see if this does make a difference so keep me posted. cheers. think i might remove my arch liners and undertray tomorrow to see if it helps.

there isnt much left that can be making a noise, these cars dont have much underneath!

Clio 197 Cup
Ok, rear noise is now gone. had a look at the arch liners and they were fine so got under the car and checked the fuel tank mounts etc, all tight and solid. so i took the shelf, spare wheel and rear seats out and went for a drive. noise was awful and seemed to come from the shocks. schoolboy error, id overtightened the strut top nuts and over compressed the rubber bushes. loosened them off and the noise is pretty much gone. ther:D
e is still a slight sound but i put that down to the metal cup over the bump stops knocking around.

just the front to sort now!