ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking on front of cup

black golf v6 4 motion

when on full lock in either direction if i hit a slight bump in the road of hole i get a big clunk through the steering column is this normal.?

I think the majority of 172 cups and 172s have this problem, it is really annoying, my car went in 12 times for this problem and never got fixed, got 182 now as got so fed up and have no knocks at all.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I dont have it, only had the knocking when wheelspinnig, though I seem to have cured that using better tyres and lowering springs.

Yes it is the suspension mount, the mod that they have for it dont fix them all, mine had this problem and they could not fix it.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

hmm my 1.4 knocks wen im just driving on full lock at v low speeds. but ive lowerd her, so mayb thats y!

i have been loadsa times for this and the fix from reanult only cures around 60% of the cars its done on...they have told me that i will have to wait for reanult to sort out however we all know this will never happen..so i fitted spax springs 25mm and the noise is completely gone and the car has been completely changed for the better defo recommended

BMW 330d :)

Mine knocks as well, makes a screechy sort of noise which makes me cringe. Anyway im taking mine back to see if their mod will fix it. It should do as they have all the info for it now.

Fraser

The knocking noise is caused by a hydraulic pressure back up on the return side of the power steering system, 172.s have a small diameter pipe on the return circuit from the rack to the resevior, it has been increased in size on the 182, so if a 182 pipe is fitted then the knocking noise goes. some late 172,s have the larger pipe fitted already, you can easily tell which pipe is fitted by looking at the part of it where it joins the resevoir, the modified pipe slims down in size to fit the resevoir, the older type of pipe is constant in size. Rob.