ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking problem, not sure where to go next

mx5
Hi guys

Haven't really posted much on here, been lurking and reading mainly.

Car is a 172 non cup 2003 with 85,000 miles on it.

Anyway my problem. I have changed suspension to GAZ coilovers, and installed PureMotorsport solid top mounts and also installed new lower ball joints both side as one side was knackered anyway.

I changed the top-mounts as thats what I originally thought it was a shagged OEM top mount. I also changed the lower ball joint at the same time as I saw one of those was definatley very loose. The coil overs just happened to go on at the same time as I was changing everything else anyway. The problem was there pre everything changed anyway.

Me and my friend who are pretty technically and mechanically minded have been scratching out heads, we thing it could be coming from driveshaft/cv joint but there is no play on them, another thought was the gearbox/drivetrain, what could be knocking there?

I can feel it when braking over bumps through the pedal. Also when going slowly about 5mph etc you can hear it but really sounds like top mounts or ball joint.

Could it be the ARB bushes shagged? Really dont think its the wishbone bushes, they seem fine to me.

What can people suggest to check? really want to get it checked as I need alignment done but dont want to do that until I find out what it could be as I may end up changing a bush etc to fix and would need it doing again.

Thanks

​Rich

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
It sounds similar to an issue I was having... Have you checked the Gearbox mount under the battery?