ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking sound from front wheels

Clio 182
Hi

I noticed today on my way to work that there was a knocking sound coming from the drivers side front wheel. If I was driving down a staight smooth road at about 15-20mph I can hear it knocking. I had a look at the CV boot and it looking ok as in no leaks.

Does anyone know what else it could be?

Cheers

Clio 182
No its not that, Its more of a mechanical knocking sound. Maybe it is the wheel bearing? There is no humming sound though. I have never working on this car yet and havent had it long so dont know what common problems are. Are there any I should look at that may cause that sound?

Cheers

silly as it sounds. are the wheel bolts tightened up correctly?

When i had the coilovers fitted they didn't tighten them right :(

"Navy" N17 TWO
Exactly what I'm thinking!

When I had something done a while back 2 of my bolts were cross-threaded in the hub and snapped when trying to get them out!
Had to get the bloody hub re-threaded to get the wheel back on

The 2 cross-threaded bolts made the wheel appear to be fitted tight but when driving the slightest fraction loose will cause a vibration/knocking noise. Get it checked out mate before you do big miles!

Clio 182
Ok, Will have a look, but the wheel hasnt been of for ages. I havent checked the spring but they are only about a year old so shouldnt have snapped. I will have to have a better look when I get home from work and report back if I find anything.

Cheers

Clio 182
Just had a look. Nipped up the bolts for the wheel. They wernt loose but had a bit to go and it seems to be sorted. Aint been for a proper drive yet.

Cheers

Jon