ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking through my steering wheel.......

I cant say ive notcied it until recently, when i was driving roung a bend i went over some sort of line in the road and i got this horrid knock through the steering wheel......

I also notice it when i go over some bumps in the road or im reversing and turning and hit a slight ridge in the road etc.

Now the same knocking can be heard when the car is still and at idle, i turn the steering wheel from left to right, not to the point where you are moving the front wheels though. Its a constant knock, knock as the steering wheel goes from left to right.

Im sure this has not been there all the time only covered 4k.

I have also seen my mates 182 he has the cup suspension and his makes no noise at all, only that faint hiss from the power steering.

I dont have the suspension upgrade but that shouldnt matter???

Any ideas please it is booked it for the 10th of sep to sort out the exhaust so i will tell them about this,

Also there is no abnormality in the steering at all.....

Rob

Ford Fiesta

sometimes mine feel bumpy thru the steering wheel when changing gear or on hard acceleration.

does the knocking make like a eiei noise ? like maybe springs or somehting rubbing ?

if it does mine as also started to do this but i have the cup pack on mine, the thing is it does not do it all the time i noticed it when driving in a straight line, going over speed bumps and round corners but it does seem random.

When the car is stationary, ignition on, turning the wheel from left to right it is a distinctive clunk,knock noise not sure of the eiei noise more of a knockknock.

To me it sounds like its something to do with the steering column it almost gives the impression that something has come loose from somewhere but nothing feels any different only that it makes this knock maybe??????

This is the same noise when i hit a bump the wrong way....... All i know is that my mates dont make any noise at all

Ford Fiesta

mine squeaks alot if you turn hard right over bumpy surface slow speeds feels as though something is loose, same for anyone else?

Quote: Originally posted by rwaterman on 31 August 2004

When the car is stationary, ignition on, turning the wheel from left to right it is a distinctive clunk,knock noise not sure of the eiei noise more of a knockknock.

To me it sounds like its something to do with the steering column it almost gives the impression that something has come loose from somewhere but nothing feels any different only that it makes this knock maybe??????

This is the same noise when i hit a bump the wrong way....... All i know is that my mates dont make any noise at all

sounds like the rack to me matey, im sure someone else had this also.

yes liam i think thats simulor to mine, anything to worry about u reckon ? thought about taking to back to renault but knowing my luck when they test drive it it will not happen :/

Quote: Originally posted by blaupunkt on 31 August 2004

Quote: Originally posted by rwaterman on 31 August 2004

<SCRIPT language=javascript>

sounds like the rack to me matey, im sure someone else had this also.

yes liam i think thats simulor to mine, anything to worry about u reckon ? thought about taking to back to renault but knowing my luck when they test drive it it will not happen :/
It does feel as though it is something like that although oim not a mechanic, wouldnt i feel play or abnormalitly somewhere else?

172 CUP £3200 For Sale

it could be that you need a slight modification which renault know all about but dont publicise. it involves modifying the tops of the suspension turrets so the top mounts dont touch and cause a clonking noise. it only tends to happen on full lock though and it available on all 172, 172 cups built after sept 2002.

just go to your main dealer and enquire. there is a technical note, but they probably wont have a clue what your talking about.

Quote: Originally posted by P3MBL on 01 September 2004

just go to your main dealer and enquire. there is a technical note, but they probably wont have a clue what your talking about.

LOL, that is true it is booked in for the 10th anyway ill point it out to them,

just thought ill try my luck on the site first always helpful to go in there with some sort of idea........

Rob.

Clio 200 Cup packed

i think mine does the same i think, always has done...

when turning into a sharp corner at about 15mph and road is a little bumpy it does knock... espcially if ive just braked hard and the nose is down...

Ford Fiesta

until the wheels drop off Im not taking mine in, it seems they all do it as such cant be anything to be overly concerned about, I just go real steady over bumpy surfaces on full lock.

Homerjay do this little test for me;

turn igntion on, turn the steering wheel left to right repeatably at a pretty quickish speed but not so you are turning the front wheels do you get a noticable but not overly bad knock or clunk everytime you turn the wheel;

Yes or no?

i was turning out of the pub at lunchtime on full lock and heard something like this, sounded like the whole engine moving about!

Thats not what this sounds like Jim curtently doesnt sound like the engine is moving about although that does sound like it could be pretty bad for you...........