ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking when accelerating hard and taking sharp corners!!???

clio 172
Hi Everyone,

Im new to the forum and i want to say Hi!

I just bought a clio sport 172 today. I really love the car, 03 plate with 36500 miles.

When i took it out for a test drive i didnt really push it that hard but everything seemed to be fine.

I went and picked up the car today and i was driving it home giving it abit of power and i noticed its knocking while i accelerate hard, especially in 1st and 2nd gear at about 4000rpm to 6000rpm.

Does anyone know what this is?? The car has 3 months warranty so they have to fix it but i have to drive 120 miles round trip to get there and back.

Do you think it could be the drive shaft?

Let me know what you think

Thanks
Dan

clio 172
So if i go to the garage i bought it from and explain that i think its one of the engine mounts will they know where to locate it?

It sounds more towards the passanger side of the engine.

Sorry im new to all this and im not awfully good when it comes to this sort of thing.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
sounds like either :

a) loose wheel nuts

or

b) wheel bearing needs replaced. seems about the right mileage for it

clio 172
sounds like either :

a) loose wheel nuts

or

I dont think it is, if it was wheel nuts or bearings it would make the noise all the time, but its only when i accelerate hard in 1st and 2nd.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
check the wheel nuts but very very unlikley to be bearing from the description given. Mounts are the top suspect.

I had the same problem, went to test drive the car, drove perfect no problems. Picked it up and it had a slight knock happening high up in the revs and going round left hand corners, thought it would just be an engine mount. Changed the gearbox top mount, which was worn, this made no difference so i changed the top mount on the engine, shock horror no difference. I Spent ages trying to adjust the top mounts but never got the noise away, i checked the drive shafts and they were both ok, slight play in the passenger side one, so that got changed and it didnt go away. I then just lived with it but it ruined the car imo.

Sorry to let you here this, hopefully your car will be a simple fix.

172 Credit crunch edition
hmm mine does the same on hard accerleration had all mounts changed by renault and done the simple fix that is on here and still does it, Just one of those things im afraid. Turn the radio up louder maybe?

clio 172
I drove it to the garage i bought it from today, they reckon its one of the mounts.

I have left it with them for the day and their getting the part thats required.

I really hope it can be fixed because it will be annoying to live with that noise.

The garage even tried blaiming it on me, i only drove it 30 miles!!!

clio sport 182
Im almost 100% sure that the noise will be the exhaust downpipe from the manifold is touching the subframe under acceleration, as the maifold is at the rear of the engine and the engine moves backward under acceleration

this was the problem on my 172.

RS RIP
subframe to manifold distance is only 1,5 cm (on mine anyway) so when one of the supports/mounts wears out it means instant knocking, very common . Mine sounds nasty , although with the coilovers it seems to happen less in comparison to OEM suspension !

clio 172
Im almost 100% sure that the noise will be the exhaust downpipe from the manifold is touching the subframe under acceleration, as the maifold is at the rear of the engine and the engine moves backward under acceleration

this was the problem on my 172.

The garage has got to back to me and your right, they are replacing one of the mounts today. Do you reckon this could cure the probelm?

clio 172
subframe to manifold distance is only 1,5 cm (on mine anyway) so when one of the supports/mounts wears out it means instant knocking, very common . Mine sounds nasty , although with the coilovers it seems to happen less in comparison to OEM suspension !

How much are coilovers mate? I was thinking about getting some?

RS RIP

How much are coilovers mate? I was thinking about getting some?

i got H&R's , they're HOT !! Costs around 750 not fitted..

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
yea mounts are made of chocolate. and there isnt enough clearance between the manifold and subframe, tis a rubbish design imo

clio 172
I have now the got the car back and its 95% fixed. The only knocking now is when the wheels start to spin in first and a slight knock if you put it in to 2nd quickly after booting it in 1st.

Is this normall? Other than that its perfect.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I have the same problem with my clio,ive changed gearbox & dogbone mount still have the knocking and i can see under the car the downpipe is close to the subframe,so going to change the top mount and fingers crossed!.also it might be worth getting uprated mounts?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy

Really? I just replaced my 160k mile, 7 year old wheel bearing which had no play in it and was only replaced after starting to drone following a big pothole impact ;)

I have now the got the car back and its 95% fixed. The only knocking now is when the wheels start to spin in first and a slight knock if you put it in to 2nd quickly after booting it in 1st.

Is this normall? Other than that its perfect.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

This sounds like what I chased around for over a year. In the end tie-rods, trackrods and balljoints solved it :)

I have the same problem with my clio,ive changed gearbox & dogbone mount still have the knocking and i can see under the car the downpipe is close to the subframe,so going to change the top mount and fingers crossed!.also it might be worth getting uprated mounts?

Have you tried slacking the gearbox and engine mount and pulling the engine forwards?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy

Have you tried slacking the gearbox and engine mount and pulling the engine forwards?