ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Koni and Eibach sportlines...disappointed

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup
Just finished fitting my 172 cup out with a set of Koni sport dampers and Eibach sportline springs. I've given it a week to bed in but to be honest I'm disappointed with it :dapprove: . I've tried playing around with the damper settings. I'm not sure if the springs are too progressive or the shocks don't have as much compression damping as the original set up, either way I seem to have lost the intial feel of the original cup springs/dampers, but saying that it does have less roll when you chuck into a corner. Overall I would say the car feels a bit numb now and winding up the rebound damping just making it feel bouncy. Anyone else had similar experiences with this set up??

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Have the same setup...

Full on rear and full 1 1/4 turn on the front...

The handling on the road is a lot better especially bumps mid corner but its still too soft for the track but i think thats down to the springs being too progressive.

Coilovers for me next..Bilstein most probably.

Focus ST
Got Eibach Sportlines, on std shocks. 'Gasp' I hear you say, over the standard they're brilliant!! No roll at all on corners. :D

I've been in formed that you need to let them bed in for at least a month.

neal i cant believe your disapointed i had that set up on my car and it was great. i did run it on softest settings most of the time and only used the standard rear shocks. i should of played around with it more, have the rear shocks turned up more than the front.

Thanks for your comments all.... I think its probably spring related rather than damper as they very progressive and off the car the Eibachs are actually longer than the std cup springs albeit a small amount. I have been adjusting equal amount front and rear on the damping but I'll have a go at winding the back up full and 1 1/4 turns on the front. I guess its going to be hard to get it perfect with a progressive rate spring and a fairly linear rate damper.:S

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
NealP said:
Thanks for your comments all.... I think its probably spring related rather than damper as they very progressive and off the car the Eibachs are actually longer than the std cup springs albeit a small amount. I have been adjusting equal amount front and rear on the damping but I'll have a go at winding the back up full and 1 1/4 turns on the front. I guess its going to be hard to get it perfect with a progressive rate spring and a fairly linear rate damper.:S

Its better when the car has 3/4 plus of fuel as there is extra load on the spring. When your on fumes then the car seems to roll a bit more...

When 2 people are in or full with fuel its great and steers dead straight. When there is just me and low fuel then the wheel goes a bit to the left. But me be 14.5 stone then its not the most balanced of set-ups lol..!

EVOgone said:
Its better when the car has 3/4 plus of fuel as there is extra load on the spring. When your on fumes then the car seems to roll a bit more...

When 2 people are in or full with fuel its great and steers dead straight. When there is just me and low fuel then the wheel goes a bit to the left. But me be 14.5 stone then its not the most balanced of set-ups lol..!

Even my svelt 13 stone plays havoc. Went up to Brands the other week and had my mate with me and car felt well balanced(std suspension) on the way home dropped him off and plenty of torque steer came back. I thought it might just be me but I'm obviously not the only one! a bag of cement on passenger seat it is then:D

Off to adjust the shocks now, hopefully I'll get an improvement...fingers crossed.

SLK 350
The biggest problems is they don't 'click' into settings, it makes it hard to evenly balance perfectly.

Israeli 172 ph1
got the same setting and i'm very happy. the car handling is very good and its very stable on the road.

i think you should give some time, you will see its a lot better.

OK just gone with 1 1/4 turns on the front and full on the rear and it is better :D but it's still not what I was hoping for still seems to be more bounce and fidget rather than planted if you know what I mean. Taken in a few 'A' roads I know like the back of my hand, i thought I was actually going faster than I was with it feeling very choppy and making a meal of the uneven road surface... hmmm.
I know I haven't given it much time but maybe back to the drawing board for me, coilovers maybe?? i don't know also got to convince the missus which is going to be far harder!!

Right, filled up with fuel and found a sweet spot for me, 1 1/4 turns frnt and 1 3/4 rear. Feeling much better now. I guess i'm also getting used to it aswell. thanks for the tips, I'm feeling much happier now:D

D4ve F said:
excellent, when you hitting the track?

As soon as I can really, fancy either Bedford or Brands (most local to me except for Goodwood which is about 20 mins away) but haven't been trackdaying since 1994 !! so a bit rusty, also a trip to the ring is a must this year.

172 mk2...with clima
Gweebs said:
Got Eibach Sportlines, on std shocks. 'Gasp' I hear you say, over the standard they're brilliant!! No roll at all on corners. :D

I've been in formed that you need to let them bed in for at least a month.

Thats what i am having fitted next week, so i am glad its a nice setup.

I am at the 'ring in a few weeks so will report back!