ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ktec 2.0 conversion

ok, just been given my friends clio 1.2 after he crashed it, minor damages so going to repair it.

now i have another free car.. i am going to ring ktec up and book my car in and get the 2.0 conversion done in my car and pay the extra insurance.

banking on me getting a uni placement also i plan throttle bodies after christmas, nice sleeper.

so first question since ktec is a 5 hour drive from me, when they say drive in and and drive out...

does that mean itll all be done in one day? i.e. in by 9am out by 6/7pm?

LY 182
highly doubt it

they just mean you drive it there and when its done you drive it back

ok roughly how long we talking? god i wish it wasnt so late and i could ring them up lol

it wont be a problem, will just need to get my mate to drive me down

80MPG BEEZA
ha mug if you pay the money they want for doing the conversion or more money then sense!

and it can be done in one day if you have everything you need right their and know what your doing

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
From K-Tec's site... they need it for a few weeks iirc

his conversion is priced on a drive-in drive-out basis with all labour and parts included and is perfectly suited to those who have a highly modified car that now needs the performance to match. Please note that in order for us to carry out the conversion we would need the car booked in at least 4 weeks before we are due to start the work. The final specification of the parts supplied may alter depending what is available at the time the work is carried out. For more in depth information about this conversion please call us.

80MPG BEEZA
and another downside is you dont know what engines going into it e.g where it's come from,how many miles and its previous life

LY 182
ha mug if you pay the money they want for doing the conversion or more money then sense!

and it can be done in one day if you have everything you need right their and know what your doing
have fun with getting the parts to do that.
only way i could do that if it were at a place like matt blacks where i had every part (and a clip computer) at my disposal

i estimate added all together i spent the best part of 2 days alone just on the phone trying to find parts

ktec charge is sod all considering all the hassle

80MPG BEEZA
yes but put on the price of his drive their and travel back, then travel down and drive back on top, then any allowance for anything to go wrong, if you know what you need and what to pay for certain items it can be done cheaper

does anyone else do the conversion?

lol and half the money is mine, the other half is from the gf coz she wants a faster car lol

80MPG BEEZA
was just thinking do they charge 2k or 3k and its 3k thats so much dearer then what it can cost you add on around £200+ for travelling expense

LY 182
parts cost me 1800 odd after tax, plus oils, gaskets, belt kit any niggly bits that have been forgotten earth straps lambda sensors etc etc you need to factor 500 quid.

then theres labour - if you let an independant garage do it which have never done it before they are going to charge you AT LEAST a day in labour charges and imo that would be cheap even then

Evo 6, E92 320d
There was another one on ebay couple days ago, £1200 for all of the engine parts, running gear, subframes(front and rear) etc.

tbh i cant be getting parts and then going to get them fitted, rather have eveything done once. aint got the time. with work.

so id rather go ktec and no its all done. i just need it to be reliable as its going to be a daily car

LY 182
here's someone selling all the parts that are needed in one go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-...ryZ10410QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

look out loads going like this some have lower mileage then others so you can pick it up and still have 2k to play with
on top of that you'll want

manifold
cat
lambdas
cat back exhausts
door looms
rear loom
gaskets
belt kits
oils
service kit
airfilter/box
depneding on how its setup you'll need to spend out on a cup setup for the alternator and a belt or all the pas pipework and ac pipework

plus loads more i've forgotten

add that little lot up ;)

80MPG BEEZA
manifold - 172 cheap enough
cat - i have a spare lying around so asking around helps
lambdas - only need on to decat or check a scrappy
cat back exhausts - worthwhile paying £££ for a good one
door looms _ should get them from the auctioneer
rear loom - is the same dont need to change
gaskets - only need exhaust gasket rest is sealed so leave it!
belt kits - cheap enough!
oils - spend good money
service kit - tbh 22k mile engine?
airfilter/box - all money saved buy what you like

80MPG BEEZA
tbh a crashed car and a conversion when your after reliablility and re-assurance arent your best bet i'd get rid and just get a 172

but good point is 172 tax is £260 and my tax is only £110 :)

LY 182
rear loom - is the same dont need to change

not true plugs are different.

matt black told me this also, ended up having to wire all 30 odd of the wires up myself

mini cooper (RIP 172)
would it not just be cheaper to just buy a ph1 172? and less messing about?

or is yor car modded? or want a sleeper?:eek:

nah the crashed car isnt having the conversion done to it.

my car is..

and 1) yes sleeper

and 2) my family would kill me if i bought a new car while at uni, hence they wont know

LY 182
maybe my car spec was different.
im good and proper confused over this one as matt black was adiment they were all the same too - but mine was an entirely different design of plug (one on my car had a bolt through it, 172 one didnt) as were my door looms

80MPG BEEZA
i have no idea then mine has been left just a big plug adapted thing! only chancge i did was removing all the un needed wires from the rear i didnt need rear wiper etc

got to say im well and truly gutted now!

i booked myself in putting a £500 deposit and am just at uni and literally 2 mins ago my dad has called and some old sod has fallen asleep at the wheel and hit my car..

looks like they will be no conversion, gna have to ring them and cancel tomorrow

and on top of that i lose my £500 deposit too :(

i hope it aint too bad

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i wouldnt pay someone £3,000 to convert a car when you can buy the real deal for £3,000 anyway!!!

conversions only worth it if your doing it yourself!

1.2 clio grande + 172bhp
i wouldnt pay someone £3,000 to convert a car when you can buy the real deal for £3,000 anyway!!!

conversions only worth it if your doing it yourself!

Very True, it would be cheaper to buy a 172 and then change the body work to standard instead ( if your going for a sleeper)