ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ktec Coilovers owners advice please

Clio 182 FF inferno
I'm thinking of buying these next week I won't be going on track much so it is more for cosmetic reasons cause the car sits high at the moment plus 1 shock needs replacing, I can't really use springs as one shock needs replacing anyway and springs won't go low enough once I'm on 15s

mines a 182 cup pack I just want it a little bit lower(lower then springs) and want it to handle okay I do realise they aren't as good as Gaz golds or anything like that but I only want a minor handling increase and with some good cosmetic benefits

SQ5
Gaz are crap so don't compare to them!

Ktecs will give you a fairly horrible ride.

Your better off getting pair of new shocks and some cooksport springs.

What Danny said above just get new shocks and cooksport springs as they are lower than eibachs etc.

Clio 182 FF inferno
Yeh that's what I've decided to do aswell cup shocks and cooksport springs

Mental 172 Cup
The last 3 replies on here are the guys that speak sense..

Cup Shocks (or Konis) and Cooksport Springs is the cheapest and best way to go unless you spend £600+ on coilovers! Even then I'm not sure..

Clio 182 FF inferno
Definatley Luke I agree with you I've listened to everybody's advice and I'm getting cooksport springs think I spoke to you about them earlier

330i. E30 Touring.
Cooksport are the fashionable company at the minute, clearly.

I fitted a set, they were pretty good.

Second hand set of FK's FTW

Clio cup 172
k tec coilovers. Bouncy but not too bad. Depends what you want. Handling or looks. Springs and shocks for handling. Coilovers for looks.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My first choice would be a secondhand set of coilovers. Decent sets can be had for £300. The only downside is, they don't come up very often.

330i. E30 Touring.
k tec coilovers. Bouncy but not too bad. Depends what you want. Handling or looks. Springs and shocks for handling. Coilovers for looks.

Not so.

Springs and shocks are cheap, for lows. Cheap coils for lows only. Anything higher than £400 for a set new means it'll be alright

Clio cup 172
Not so.

Springs and shocks are cheap, for lows. Cheap coils for lows only. Anything higher than £400 for a set new means it'll be alright

Ok... I'll rephrase then. K-tec coilovers for looks. Expensive coilovers for handling. Shocks and springs are cheaper for a good handling upgrade...

SQ5
I've got a set of FK Konigsports for £420 posted if anyone's interested.

Covered little mileage and come highly recommended on here. Also a great coilover for comfort.

Clio 182
Glad I found this thread... I was about to order a set of cooksport springs for my 182 non cup, until i saw a cheap set of the ktec coilovers on ebay... got them for 170.00 posted... should be here by the weekend.Was going to get my mate to fit them next week, but was understandably cautious about just how brutal the ride will be on uk roads... i've had konis before and they were awful. Hated every drive with them. The looks on the other hand i imagine will be really good....Just looking for advice, would you fit the coilovers or sell em on and get the cooksport springs and fit to my current shocks ?CheersMike

Clio 182 FF inferno
Hi mate after getting a lot of opinions on here and on the fbook forum I decided against Ktec coilys, most people that have got them said they can't wait to get rid of them so I decided to buy cooksport lowering springs and brand new rear cup shocks from renault, worked out cheaper and they have much better reviews

Clio 182
Cheers mate. How much were the brand new rear shocks mate ? Howcome you only went for rear ones?ThanksMike

Clio 182 FF inferno
New rear shocks from Wests renault were 96 for the pair including vat and delivery I only got the rear cause my front ones are in good condition no need to replace them and my rears needed replacing

Megane 225
Have to agree with everybody on this. I got a set of secondhand k-tec coilovers fitted them and hate them. Wish I kept my Eibach's now :(

Clio 182
Glad I didn't pay to have them fitted before finding this out ! Thats the great thing about forums like this.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I don't find the K-Tec's bumpy at all! Really nice ride. Much better than the Gaz I had on my R5 GT Turbo.

Clio 182
Thats drastically different views on the ktecs there ... confused now. Especially as they offer different coilover sets on the website. Are we all talking about the cheaper ktec branded set that they sell ? Thats the one i've just bought from Ebay

Mental 172 Cup
Glad I found this thread... I was about to order a set of cooksport springs for my 182 non cup, until i saw a cheap set of the ktec coilovers on ebay... got them for 170.00 posted... should be here by the weekend.Was going to get my mate to fit them next week, but was understandably cautious about just how brutal the ride will be on uk roads... i've had konis before and they were awful. Hated every drive with them. The looks on the other hand i imagine will be really good....Just looking for advice, would you fit the coilovers or sell em on and get the cooksport springs and fit to my current shocks ?CheersMike

It all depends what you want out of your car, if you want to do fast road driving, a road blast every now and again and track driving, if you want your Clio to handle amazing and have a decent amount of 'lows' the Cooksport springs and Clio 172 Cup Dampers..

If you just want your Clio 'slammed' not bothered about the handling and cruise around the town.. Then K-Tec coilys will be fine..

Different question here..

Will standard 172 cup shocks be higher than my standard 172 shocks?

They won't be higher they will be slightly stiffer..

Clio 182
It all depends what you want out of your car, if you want to do fast road driving, a road blast every now and again and track driving, if you want your Clio to handle amazing and have a decent amount of 'lows' the Cooksport springs and Clio 172 Cup Dampers..

If you just want your Clio 'slammed' not bothered about the handling and cruise around the town.. Then K-Tec coilys will be fine..

QUOTE]

I want fast road driving, ill be honest looking at the pics of the cooksport springs - they do look low enough for me in terms of transforming the looks of the car, but I am at the stage of considering track days also....

so I have 3 options really ?

1) fit the ktec coilovers and hope they arent brutal on the road
2) sell the ktecs straight away, order some cooksport springs and fit them to my standard 182 non cup springs
3) sell the ktecs, order cooksport springs, aswell as a set of either 172 or 182 CUP shockers.

If the 3rd option is best, is there any difference between the 172 cup and 182 cup shocks ? And do I need a set of brand new ones or are second hand fine ?

cheers

Mike

Clio 182
I would not but them tbh ? What do you want from your car ?

just to sit quite a lot lower and to have better fast road and very occasional track day handling mate. Its not going to be like a proper cup racer my car - I dont have the budget that other members do

Mec 350 slk manual
All I done mike was a set of spax psx kit set them to 12 clicks front & 10 clicks on the back and it handles like a dream

SQ5
New Cup front shocks, new rear shocks and Cooksport springs are £280, and I'm sure the rear nearly goes as low as the K-Tec ones.

Clio 182
New Cup front shocks, new rear shocks and Cooksport springs are £280, and I'm sure the rear nearly goes as low as the K-Tec ones.

Cheers Danny. So buy new "cup" front shocks, new std 182 rear shocks, and the cooksport springs ?

Is there any difference in the 172/182 cup front shocks ?

Do you go direct to Renault for yours?

Thanks again, sorry to be a noob btw everyone - here to learn

SQ5
Cheers Danny. So buy new "cup" front shocks, new std 182 rear shocks, and the cooksport springs ?

Is there any difference in the 172/182 cup front shocks ?

Do you go direct to Renault for yours?

Thanks again, sorry to be a noob btw everyone - here to learn

You'll need to check bolt spacing as to what shocks you can have as unsure if the 172 Cup ones will fit a 182.

But yes that's a good plan. I went to Renault but I get special prices at the local one, but Wests Renault on here are close!

Clio 182
You'll need to check bolt spacing as to what shocks you can have as unsure if the 172 Cup ones will fit a 182.

But yes that's a good plan. I went to Renault but I get special prices at the local one, but Wests Renault on here are close!

Cant I just get 182 cup front shocks mate ? or are people suggesting 172 ones as they are cheaper to buy?

Ah ill try and find Wests Renault mate.

Gonna be a dear-do this though..... Was hoping to just put the cooksport springs onto my standard 182 non cup shocks :( as its not just the cost of all the parts, still then need to pay my mechanic mate £100 to fit them aswell

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Cant I just get 182 cup front shocks mate ? or are people suggesting 172 ones as they are cheaper to buy?

Ah ill try and find Wests Renault mate.

Gonna be a dear-do this though..... Was hoping to just put the cooksport springs onto my standard 182 non cup shocks :( as its not just the cost of all the parts, still then need to pay my mechanic mate £100 to fit them aswell

100 to fit them? Wtf sort of mate is he?

Ive got apex springs on ny standard 172 shocks and my shocks are ruined, put a brand new rear one on a couple of months ago and its already leaking.

Im going to go for the 172 cup shocks soon because they are stiffer and hopefully cheaper than coilovers/uprated dampers.

Clio 182
100 to fit them? Wtf sort of mate is he?

Ive got apex springs on ny standard 172 shocks and my shocks are ruined, put a brand new rear one on a couple of months ago and its already leaking.

Im going to go for the 172 cup shocks soon because they are stiffer and hopefully cheaper than coilovers/uprated dampers.

I just say "mate" to shorten the story really lol - hes my mates older brother, thats the longer version, and has done my recent servicing etc really cheap (about £60 cheaper than a garage). Which is why I asked him for a quote for the spring fitment....

I did think £100 was expensive though to be honest. Could probably get someone off here to do it for less if I knew people haha