ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ktec - Performance Cams + ECU reflash package.

Megane 225 F1
Hi all,

Bought by 3rd Clio 172 Cup a month or so ago, and have spent some time returning the suspension to tip top condition - new OEM shocks, Eibach pro springs, and also new engine mounts all round etc. For info - a very worthwhile exercise for those of you with a few bucks spare.

Once I have the track rod ends and balljoints replaced, I'm hoping it will be feeling like new, and I'll then turn my focus more to the engine. Seems like a good example, hitting 0-60 down in an average 6.4 seconds, but I'm hoping to make the car a little more special with an engine mod or two. I appreciate without boost, it's never going to be a rocket, but I'm not really after that - having come from an STI, and more recently a 310bhp ST.

After some honest opinion of the above - preferably from those who have sampled the exact product.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4566&appid=2

* How do the cams alone effect the engine note? do they have to be coupled with a cone airfilter to improve the sound?

I currently have the standard airbox, with the upper airfeed disconnected - not too impressed with the sound, seems a little boomy especially around 3-4k. The sound improves a little above 5k, but not much. Perhaps my impression isn't helped coming from a Focus ST as last car.

* How is the power delivered generally? I'm after a fairly peaky power delivery - without losing anything below if possible.

* How is traction in 1st / 2nd gear with performance cams? (traction, or lack of was my main gripe with the ST, and I'm happy that currently the Cup puts down most of it's power in most weather).

I'm giving serious thought to the RS2 inlet (currently almost on group buy), and ITB's, but being up North Scotland, mapping is a serious concern. Not really up for a near 1000 round trip just for a few ponies!

Any experience shared, or advise offered, much appreciated!

Many thanks
Justin

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
From what I have seen the main differences will be:

Power is increased for a while
Engine dies horribly
Ktec say it was cause your engine was rubbish
(even though in one case I know of the owner paid them hundreds of pounds to healthcheck it first and they said it was mint)

They are an EPIC mail order company, amazingly reliable and very fast, I would recommend them to anyone.
But you may as well stick a tomtom map of Belgium on your ECU than one of the maps they have developed based on the multiple examples of them getting it horribly wrong that I have seen.

Buy some cams, get Paul at RS Tuning to map it (he is in leeds) and live happily ever after.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
428 IMHO are too mild, go for 421 or 438.

Catcams are expensive wherever you get them TBH, you could try Fred@BTM though perhaps.

Megane 225 F1
Was just looking at RS Tuning website, and they seems to suggest 421's for a bigger bhp gain, but mention a lumpy idle. My Cup already has a fairly lumpy idle...so I'm assuming it can't be that much worse? I mean right now the rev counter barely moves, but you can fairly feel the lumpyness coming through, and hear it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It is a bit lumpier than it will be now yes, but raising the limiter slightly helps tame this.

Must admit though, I actually like the sound of a cammed engine!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Was just looking at RS Tuning website, and they seems to suggest 421's for a bigger bhp gain, but mention a lumpy idle. My Cup already has a fairly lumpy idle...so I'm assuming it can't be that much worse? I mean right now the rev counter barely moves, but you can fairly feel the lumpyness coming through, and hear it.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the 438s are similar to the 421s, without the lumpy idle?

I am going to go for the 438s myself soon.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm sure I've read somewhere that the 438s are similar to the 421s, without the lumpy idle?

I am going to go for the 438s myself soon.

Yes 438's are basically just 421's with the timing slightly different to tame them down a touch, you lose a couple of BHP at the top from what I have seen, and gain a nicer idle.

Im sure Paul will be able to tweak 421s to do the same though if you go for those instead (438 are exclusive to ktec and their followers on companies who use their maps etc)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Yes 438's are basically just 421's with the timing slightly different to tame them down a touch, you lose a couple of BHP at the top from what I have seen, and gain a nicer idle.

Im sure Paul will be able to tweak 421s to do the same though if you go for those instead (438 are exclusive to ktec and their followers on companies who use their maps etc)

Oh I see, that makes sense.

I would personally rather have a lumpy idle and a few more BHP top end come to think of it. As the car is a weekend trackday toy. And I will more than likely take it to RS tuning anyway to have it mapped.

My 421 idle isnt to lumpy tbh. IMO 421s/438s are the cams to go for.

As chip said with 421's it all depends on who mapped it and what they are capable of.

Here a awful speedo video of mine on 421's that doesnt do them any justice but heyy,

Last edited by a moderator:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I went with engine dynamics cams fitted them myself, which was a easy enough job they also come with a cam locking tool to set the cam timing.
If you do decide to go with ITB then if you go for Omex Sitech racing at Rosyth could easily map it for you as that's who did mine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh I see, that makes sense.

I would personally rather have a lumpy idle and a few more BHP top end come to think of it. As the car is a weekend trackday toy. And I will more than likely take it to RS tuning anyway to have it mapped.

Ive seen people claim that it makes no difference to power, but from what I have seen it does when on bodies, maybe on the standard inlet its so restricted that neither cam can really do its best though so perhaps less of an effect then I dont really get involved with standard inlet cars so cant really comment, although we are only talking a couple of bhp so it depends what the car is for I guess, if its a daily, maybe its worth the sacrifice.

Discuss it with Paul@Rs Tuning is your best bet if its him mapping it :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I went with engine dynamics cams fitted them myself, which was a easy enough job they also come with a cam locking tool to set the cam timing.
If you do decide to go with ITB then if you go for Omex Sitech racing at Rosyth could easily map it for you as that's who did mine.

I like the ED ones a lot, we used them in porkies last engine, although we are going a little hotter on its replacement since it got put into 2nd instead of 4th and now needs a new engine, whooopsy!

In fact his cams are still mint IIRC from when Mike pulled the engine apart, so are probably for sale at some point, only done a few thousands miles although all of them hard, lol.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Ive seen people claim that it makes no difference to power, but from what I have seen it does when on bodies, maybe on the standard inlet its so restricted that neither cam can really do its best though so perhaps less of an effect then I dont really get involved with standard inlet cars so cant really comment, although we are only talking a couple of bhp so it depends what the car is for I guess, if its a daily, maybe its worth the sacrifice.

Discuss it with Paul@Rs Tuning is your best bet if its him mapping it :)

Well I plan on eventually having ITB's, so the 421's might make more sense in the long run.

What power is you 172 making Dan?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well I plan on eventually having ITB's, so the 421's might make more sense in the long run.

I think so yes mate.

Or the ED ones mentioned if you want to same a few quid, although in all honesty I think the catcams are probably a better quality product (just feel a nicer metal if that makes sense?) but that said Ive not personally had any problems with the ED ones and have used them on a few engines now.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I think so yes mate. Or the ED ones mentioned if you want to same a few quid, although in all honesty I think the catcams are probably a better quality product (just feel a nicer metal if that makes sense?) but that said Ive not personally had any problems with the ED ones and have used them on a few engines now.

I think I'll be going for the catcams mate.

Makes sense, if you werent so far away Id let you drive my car before you committed to any.

The annoying thing is mare, I used to often visit your neck of the woods ( Needham Market Ipswich) as my GF family used to live there.

what power is the 172 with 421's making Dan?

I think I'll be going for the catcams mate.

The annoying thing is mare, I used to often visit your neck of the woods ( Needham Market Ipswich) as my GF family used to live there.

what power is the 172 with 421's making Dan?

That is a shame as im 3 miles from Needham! I cant actually remember the figures at all :eek: roughly 195bhp & over 160lbft. Must get it on the roller again!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It is a bit lumpier than it will be now yes, but raising the limiter slightly helps tame this.

Must admit though, I actually like the sound of a cammed engine!

Just to clarify I mean raising the idle low rpm limit not the max engine revs limiter by the way. Just realised what a poor choice of words that was!

53 Clio's & counting
I'd love a set of 421's but can't justify the costs of buying them, a new belt plus mapping changes - gains I imagine should be pretty noticable but thats the pitfalls of n/a tuning I suppose

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd love a set of 421's but can't justify the costs of buying them, a new belt plus mapping changes - gains I imagine should be pretty noticable but thats the pitfalls of n/a tuning I suppose

Yeah it's a hassle for 10bhp or so and also the pistons are borderline upto the job anyway and only more likely to fail with hotter cams.

53 Clio's & counting
then again I do still have a spare engine in the garage and 2 dead ones in the barn....... Must. Not. rebuild.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
My 421 idle isnt to lumpy tbh. IMO 421s/438s are the cams to go for.

As chip said with 421's it all depends on who mapped it and what they are capable of.

Here a awful speedo video of mine on 421's that doesnt do them any justice but heyy,

​this sounds the dogs mate, where do I get one ;)

​this sounds the dogs mate, where do I get one ;)
Its one of these filters; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ITG-Maxogen-Air-Filter-Cylindrical-70mm-Neck-ID-/400409609855?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d3a45c67f

And then just order the silicone hosing to make it go where you like, i run a polo rad so mine sits above it as below. But you can use two 90' bends and make a ktec style induction kit if you like, or use 3 bends and put it behind the fog light. That parts upto you :)
2937F5CE-ECFA-4C88-99E6-5B76F1749A34-276-0000000FC235FB1C.jpg

Outside vid of the noisey bucket.