ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KTR coilovers VS V-maxx coilovers vs Eibach springs

03 RS clio 172 flameR
really need some good advise.

i am going to buy one of the above options very soon.

mainly after better handling, plan on using it for smashing up country lanes at the weekends and maybe a few trackdays a year, but prob no more than two.

ben has advised me to save money and go for lowering springs but my personal prefence is with the ktr coilovers at the moment. enless someone can tell me that the V-maxx coilovers are alot better than the ktr ones.

please advise.

cheers

320d
I've been very impressed with my Eibach Sportlines. Can't comment on coilies though as I have no experience of them, I presume coilies are far better but for the money i'm made up with the spings.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
What i would really like to know is if someone has gone from lowering springs to coilovers, and if the difference was substantal.

TTRS & V50
I went from Apex springs to coilovers.

And yes VERY substantial difference. But saying that Apex are dogs**t, so it was inevitable.

Can't comment on Eibach on a Clio, but i had Eibach Sportlines on my old VTR and they were mint, -50mm and very comfortable ride.

S3, Polo
I went from Apex to Sportlines and the difference was like night and day.

Day-to-day coilovers would be overkill - for me - and Sportlines are comfortable and look good.

Depends what you want them for...

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I have had apex springs on my old 1.2 clio, fk coilovers on my c2 and have ktr coilovers on my 182.

No comparison, springs were really crashy and didnt improve handling, just looks.

FK's gave a great drop and handled superbly but were very stiff.

KTR's handle and ride very well, and look good at the same time. Cant comment on v-maxx though.

Clio 1.2/ Impreza Type R
i have had the first and last i would take the first (ktr) over the springs anyday of the week

dont know about vmaxx - both cheap coilovers.

Charged Superleggera
i went from prolines to vmaxx coilovers. massive difference in handling and drop obviously. cant coment on k tec ones but i would say they would be very similar. pm fred as he is the man to speak to.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd get the Raceland coilovers as they look identical to the Ktec and Vmaxx kits. I've got Vmaxx coilovers myself and I've been very happy with them.

Charged Superleggera
Massive difference in handling in what way Firas?

car feels alot more planted and less body roll but they are wound down a fair bit and also there is significantly more camber all around so that is also bound to help with handling aswell. dont get me wrong though my prolines were amazing but i think the car is more responsive and sharper with the coilies.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
sportlines to bilstein coilovers on my 172, were they better, yes, were they £900 better, no.

on track they would have been worth it if you done 5-10+ a year fast road they were awesome but i wasnt any quicker than i was on eibachs

03 RS clio 172 flameR
sportlines to bilstein coilovers on my 172, were they better, yes, were they £900 better, no.

on track they would have been worth it if you done 5-10+ a year fast road they were awesome but i wasnt any quicker than i was on eibachs

very fair point, but for me the difference between springs and coilovers is £200. if the difference was £900 i wouldnt even be considering it.

coiled 'berg
There are cons to the coillies, speed bumps, potholes etc, I've had eBay special springs, sportlines, apexs and now vmaxx. Personally for comfort choose sportlines, for a tidy drop and firm solid handling choose apex, for mainly cosmetics choose the coillies. Does that make any sense we all know the collies look the dogs, but you do have to compromise a bit, I can't go to the cinema by me because of the most insane speedbumps in their car park, stuff like that.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
There are cons to the coillies, speed bumps, potholes etc, I've had eBay special springs, sportlines, apexs and now vmaxx. Personally for comfort choose sportlines, for a tidy drop and firm solid handling choose apex, for mainly cosmetics choose the coillies. Does that make any sense we all know the collies look the dogs, but you do have to compromise a bit, I can't go to the cinema by me because of the most insane speedbumps in their car park, stuff like that.

very well put, but what i am looking for is both looks and handling, i dont need full race handling, just a more solid feel, and a medium drop, not into slammage and think 30mm will be fine for me!

i am now looking into raceland coilovers as they are epic cheap

BG 182 FF
I had coilles on mine and swapped them with dave for standard shocks and 30mm lowered springs, and I much prefer the shocks and springs than collies its less harsh but you can still throw it in to a corner and it feels solid imo.

Da

Less
da on here went from eibach to V-Maxx then to ktr coilovers pm him;)

To be precise ;)

The Eibach Sportlines I had were spot on for 'fast road' and occasional track day session - I loved mine, felt very planted and solid.

I moved onto the coilovers for the adjustability really, the springs simply didn't give me the stance I was seeking.

V-Maxx or K-Tec... K-Tec for me every day.

172 Cup
im in this predicament as well, I want a better stance but I want the handling as well, i do maybe 3-5 track days a year, i mostly want improved road handling, I will be stripping back seats out and will use space in back occasionally to transport things but thats about it. Only me and the Mrs and just means I dont have to give lifts haha! I heard the springs at the back of V-maxx are really bad with any extra weight?

RSC 182 Cup
My car has simply been transformed due to the following changes;
eibach prolines
fresh oem dampers
ast suspension top mounts
whiteline arb
wheel alignment (-1.5 deg camber)

I am seriously loving it.

172 with k-tec sound
To be precise ;)

The Eibach Sportlines I had were spot on for 'fast road' and occasional track day session - I loved mine, felt very planted and solid.

I moved onto the coilovers for the adjustability really, the springs simply didn't give me the stance I was seeking.

i stand corrected lol, forgot about the v maxx:eek:

03 RS clio 172 flameR
To be precise ;)

Great, from what i have gathered from this thread i really want eibach sportlines, but my problem is that i will need new shocks anyway so price there would be around £250 ish for that setup, which is pushing coilover money, and if i was to consider Raceland coilovers its half the price of new shocks and sportline springs! ARHHH the choices!

Heres the final choices:

New OE shocks and eibach sportlines = £250
raceland coilovers = £165 (stupidly cheap)
Ktec coilovers = £350
Vmaxx coilovers = £399

stance isnt a huge issue, i want it lower to look abit better but mainly want a firmer ride and handling.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
From what I've heard, vmaxx are a better bet than raceland. Personally, I'd go
OE Shocks and sportlines, + whiteline adjustable rear ARB.

Da

Less
Great, from what i have gathered from this thread i really want eibach sportlines, but my problem is that i will need new shocks anyway so price there would be around £250 ish for that setup, which is pushing coilover money, and if i was to consider Raceland coilovers its half the price of new shocks and sportline springs! ARHHH the choices!

Heres the final choices:

New OE shocks and eibach sportlines = £250
raceland coilovers = £165 (stupidly cheap)
Ktec coilovers = £350
Vmaxx coilovers = £399

stance isnt a huge issue, i want it lower to look abit better but mainly want a firmer ride and handling.

Don't forget, if you go for coilovers you will really need to get a full alignment done otherwise it'll drive worse than it does now.
So, ontop of the cost of the coils, plus fitting them, you'll need +£100~ for the full alignment.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Don't forget, if you go for coilovers you will really need to get a full alignment done otherwise it'll drive worse than it does now.
So, ontop of the cost of the coils, plus fitting them, you'll need +£100~ for the full alignment.
You got yours done in fax yes?

Did they align it with a multi-lazer setup and did the car leave perfect (i.e perfect tracking and steering alignment spot on centre)

Da

Less
Yes Mike, got it done in Gtreetland (off the top of my head).
Four wheel laser alignment using the Hunter System I do believe.

Cost me £130 I think.

Clio RS
anyone with pics of the car with the springs on?

I want eibach springs, that I'm sure. it's ok for the mot here and what I want is just less bodyroll and a bit firmer ridequalitiy

I'm just not sure yet which ones, the pro or the sport. I'm affraid that the sports with the 30mm make it to low...

so if anyone has a pic and is wiling to post it... ;)

Da

Less
There's pics of mine from when I had Eibachs on. Have a search in the media section.

Found it - click me

Last edited:
  RSC 182 Cup
anyone with pics of the car with the springs on?

I want eibach springs, that I'm sure. it's ok for the mot here and what I want is just less bodyroll and a bit firmer ridequalitiy

I'm just not sure yet which ones, the pro or the sport. I'm affraid that the sports with the 30mm make it to low...

so if anyone has a pic and is wiling to post it... ;)

Here is mine with Eibach Pro kit and Whiteline ARB

Attachments

• RSC1_PS_web.jpg
    RSC1_PS_web.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 204
  • RSC2_PS_web.jpg
    RSC2_PS_web.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 229
  • _MG_4523_PS_web.jpg
    _MG_4523_PS_web.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 232
  03 RS clio 172 flameR
Well after thinking everything over and after seeing that Fred had fitted a set of Racelands and didnt say they were tota sh.. i have decided to go into the group buy for raceland colivers whilst i still can, at £30 more than eibach there are bargain, and i know there is still the lazer aligment buy if i had eibach i was buying new shocks anyway so same price.