ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KTR drilled rear disc's BAD NEWS...!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi there

Just wondering who else has suffered from these things cracking.

Mine just went for a MOT and the thing failed on Hazard warning light switch broken, and rear warped discs.

But on further inspection nsr disc cracked in 5 places right up to the hub radius and the dsr warped badly. This showed way out on the brake efficiency test.

These have done no more than 7500 miles in 18 months.

Spoke to KTR (Shaun) and he said that this has NEVER happen before and if I returned them he exchange them for a pair of standard Renault rears.

Which I would have to pay for 1st, and then he would credit me for fractured pair upon there return. Under a good will and warranty.

Received new rears fitted them and then car in for re-test and passed with flying colours. O and new hazard warning light switch @ £36.50....!

Posted rears to KTR and was awaiting phone call. But nothing, so called myself. To hear that sorry but no warranty of credit due to them reckoning that it must have been caused by a sized calliper.

Funny I thought as the car has not suffered for any symptoms. And also MOT garage did not comment on such a thing. Also seeing as though the car can be moved around in the garage by one hand thought this was out of order. And still no offer of credit.

On further investigation these disc that they supply are standard Renault disc that they have machined and then BZP plated.

I'm awaiting a response for Renault UK about the effect of such machining on these standard items. To the point as would this be a detriment to the structural ridgity of the disc and would this cause failure of the disc within normal operating temperatures. (Classed as catastrophic failure.)

And, also I’ve approach Trading standards about this product being Fit For Purpose. And being marketed as a road car item.

So anyone else who's had this occur please drop me a pm. So that I can present my findings to KTR to help with their decision making process.

In the mine time I would just like to advise anyone not to purchase said product until these grey areas have been cleared up. And if you value your life and your car.

Ted.

P.S. Will post pics asap.

Last edited:
  Silver Clio 172 Cup
ISTR that discs should never be drilled post-production or it really seriously weakens them.

Banana
Wow that is shocking that they take standard Reno discs and just drill them and pass them off as their own. Renault should sue their asses.
Hope you get your money back dude, Ive personally never bought anything off them as I've always thought KTR were a bit iffy.

Thanks guys.

Just want to resolve the situation. And dont want to be out of pocket and anyone else for that matter.

Nearly 400 quids worth of discs in 18months not good.

And God knows what would have happen if they let go.

Teds

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
technically speaking its a "wear and tear" item, ok it hasn't lasted long, but they haven't advertised life span

would you take a tyre back it you get a nail through it after 10miles of driving on it? (ok thats a s**t example, but its all i can think of! LOL)

not fair, and it sucks big time, sorry dude!

thatd be fair enough but this is like a company buying some cheap shitty tyres and cutting some of the tread out to make them their own,not very safe imo and the idea of the caliper being ceased is b****cks or your car wouldve failed the mot for uneven braking

Lionel Richie
^true

i'd be careful though about claiming they're just OE renault discs machined because i doubt that

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1574

i know the trade price of OE rear discs from renault (which come fully assembled from renault)

i doubt k-tec are going to buy in OE rear discs (at trade price), remove the bearing, remove the ABS ring, send them off and have them machined, then have them coated, then fit in a new bearing and refit the ABS ring, it doesn't make financial sense!

They told me. And also at present i'm lead to believe Reno are the only supplier/manufacture of said item.

Lionel Richie
nope, you can buy the discs on their own for about £20 (loads of suppliers, QH etc etc etc) each and the bearings for the same money

only thing you can't buy is the ABS rings

audi a6 3.0tdi
i've read before that they are just drilled renault disks. i'm sure it says it on the website

Well put it this way. They were very quick to supply a set of Reno units.
And that’s what they said when I asked.

I'm happy for them to put the record straight. I’m open to it. I can only go on what information they forward to me the customer.

Also looking into EU trading standards with regards to safety testing of car components to. I hope they been tested to the appropriate standard to.

Golf R soon...
I had the KTR front and rear brake discs fitted to my 182 last year when it had its 36k service at K-tec. I've done just over 48k miles now and my discs are fine!

M2 Competition
Surely for the sake of a set of rear discs ktec should refund your money out of goodwill if nothing else...

Lionel Richie
i know a chap that bought a pair of discs, nothing special about them, off a company and then expected new ones after he cracked them after about 1 week

I'd be happy with that. Because that’s what their original intension was.

But people do need to know what happen to my set. That’s the reason for forums like this, to pass on relevant information to others.

And if we can help improve and give feedback to suppliers of components like this everyone benefits.

Lionel Richie
^fair enough

i understand your point, and if i was in the same boat i'd be well pissed off

but i also understand k-tec's stance (i'm sure Dave will pm/call you as he hates unhappy customers!)

TVR Cerbera
My old ones on my cup cracked from the outside to the hub then half way round the disc! only noticed when i was washing it! i think they were standard

I'd be happy with that Fred. I would love to give possitive feedback about them. Which i thought i was going to. With their kind offer to replace them. And at no point did they say it was is subject to any conditions.

Mk2 172
This thread has made me p**s myself. I have tried many drilled discs on many cars over the years and they have always cracked!!! If anyone ever asks whether drilled discs are any good i always say i can guarantee they will crack and this has just proved it :) I was tempted by these discs when they first released them and i specifically asked whether they would crack and ktec said they wouldnt crack and that if they did then they would be replaced FOC as basically this would never happen. Im glad i decided against them now. I always knew they would due to my previous experiences.

Mk2 172
i've read before that they are just drilled renault disks. i'm sure it says it on the website

They ARE standard discs drilled. They guys at ktec told me they have them done at a machine shop down the road from there place. Takes all the strength out of them.

Interesting Dan R. How do i post pics on this site?

Last edited:
  Audi TT 225 Quattro
thats bad, ive got a set on the rear of mine:( will be looking for replacements sharpish..

Lionel Richie
right, hang on one minute here

how do the big boys (such as brembo, AP, Wilwood, Baer, Stoptech, Hispec etc etc etc etc etc) make drilled disks?

ask yourself that

my mate has a GT3 porker and he got fed up of the stock drilled brembos cracking (supplied and fitted by porsche) so had custom bells made and now uses AP grooved discs instead (i think they're AP rotors anyway)

its highly common for drilled disks to crack, especially on "high end" cars, the amaount of F360 rotors we get through per year is mad!

M

mini-valver

A 360 braking from 150-40 in 100 metres on track is different to a Clio braking on a normal road in normal conditions!

SLK 350
^but would you be on your way to porsche or ferrari to ask the same?

Yes Fred I would, there's a little rule about being "fit for purpose" and IMO that particular set clearly aren't. This isn't a case of 100% of them cracking, therefore it maybe just a 'bad batch'.

Whatever spin you put on it, it's disgraceful aftersales service from a respected company, particularly when it could have put him in jeopardy.

As for Ferrari discs, having 4 pot's clamped onto it with racing pads if going through slightly more stresses than the pishy rear calipers on the Clio, which tbh have just been ripped from a bicycle.

I saw good luck to him, and to make a point of following it up.

clio 200 F4Rt
i can also confirm they are standard renault discs.

mine turned up in thier original reanult packaging!

i will have to check mine tonight.

not too sure on KTEC's non refund policy with these. Customer is king? or does that not exist anymore?

Plus the bad feedback they have just received here, surely a refund is cheaper!

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
yeah plus that ted guy had to pay to send them the broken disks, btw they look they have done more that 7.5k miles, or you have had soem really crummy pads fitted fromt eh looks of the scratches over them disc's, i have never had discs that are all scratched up and worn oddly like that and why would you have drilled discs on the rear

yeah plus that ted guy had to pay to send them the broken disks, btw they look they have done more that 7.5k miles, or you have had soem really crummy pads fitted fromt eh looks of the scratches over them disc's, i have never had discs that are all scratched up and worn oddly like that and why would you have drilled discs on the rear

I'm guessing the scratching occured at the MOT center, or afterwards, due to investigating the cracks?