ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KW V2 Coilovers (fitting)

Just started to fit a set of KW V2.....completed the rear but thought it would be lower....

Part way through..
Cilotrailer.jpg

Completed rear and view from side....

cliorearwheel.jpg

It is lower but have the springs adjusted to about 3-4mm off their lowest setting.

Cliorear.jpg

Is this about right....also should I have removed the plastic tubing around the spring??

Using my mates garage and lift to do the fronts on the 28th, though still waiting on new AST top mounts to arrive from kamracing. Going to Bedford on Sat 30th April so more than likely they won't arrive in time and I'll have to fit later.

Any comments, are the fronts easy to swap? Fitting rear was ok seeing as I normally pay the garage (who's lift I'm borrowing) to do work on my cars.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Interested to know what you think of them as they are on my list of possible coilovers.

Are you getting them professionally set up?

Will get the car booked inwith Northampton Motorsport (about 40miles from me) once all parts fitted, still waiting on AST topmounts and Whiteline ARB to arrive, will post update after the weekendsexcursion to Bedford on how the KW's perform. Outstanding I should think.....

Got them from Kamracing, arrived within 7-9 days, though still waiting for the solid mounts.....KW's all fitted now...just have to take all off to fit solid mounts on. Had some issues with the standard topmounts, the top hats (think they're called these) wouldn'y tighten down far enough. Took all off to check I'd screwed the nut onto the bottom part of the top mount (top of coilovers), which i had, so just ground off 4-5mm off the top hat sleve and it screwed down fine (still not sure if it's tight enough) but no knocking heard when on test drive.

Below pic isn't even on the lowest setting, I have them a lot higher than this and the tyres still rub on outside of the wheel arches when turning so will raise another 5mm tomorrow.

280420111651.jpg

Dog bone done too............glad i did it in mates garage as needed a press for this. Otherwise would've taken ages and lots of cut fingers and maybe a damaged dog bone.

280420111661.jpg

Took for a quick blast 2 miles twisty country road near where I live..... :))))))))))))))))))...............can't wait for Saturday..........Well recommend these bad boys........maybe brakes and tyres next, leave the engine alone for a while as renault have done a good job IMHO.

172DD Cup
engine side bush is upside down on the dogbone. you want the smaller part of the bush against the engine.

Got to raise the front tomorrow so will flip the dog at the same time, did fit with the smallest part on top first, didn't look level (if that matters) least I put the washers on.....cheers for the help.

172 cup toyota glanz
HI MATE IVE GOT THIS SET UP ON MY 172 AND PN THE REAR I TOOK THE ADJUSTERS OUT TO LOWER IT AS MUCH AS I COULD AND THEY WORK FINE BEEN LIKE THAT FOR BOUT 4 MONTHS JUST AN IDEA PAL

ph1 172
Loving the jacking on the trailer technique;)

How much did you pay altogether from kamracing with discount if you don't mind me asking?

I'm after some of these soon. Are kamracing the cheapest?

Thanks

Didn't get round to flipping the bone today, probably regret after tomorrow. Though the improvment on the standard bush is already noticeable....
Ali_warriner PM sent.
gazCUP did look at that but they move, the purple collar provides a snug fit so may get the grinder out and trim...or get two more to butcher so I have options open.

The finished look\heights....any comments welcome, too low on the front perhaps?
29042011170.jpg

It didn't get on the trailer so had to used bits of wood to get it on...managed it in the end.

29042011171.jpg

172DD Cup
the problem with fitting it the same as the picture, is that the dog bone itself is further from the gearbox and the upper part of the bush will flex about. that's my take on it

Last edited:
  172/1.2/E30
there is no washer, that is the problem and the cause of the split bush. big bush needs to be on top to absorb more of the vibration.

172DD Cup
i can see a washer :rasp:
but the more i think about the bush the more i think you're right and the taller end should be against the gearbox. if you look at the oem bush, it has a taller side, and that side is against the gearbox. i've had mine fitted with the shorter side against the gearbox for 8 months and no problem so i don't plan to change it, but i'm curious now

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I run my KW's without rear adjuster as well.... has been like that for about 2 years now and done 2 trackdays and been fine :)

clio 182 + cup packs
there is no washer, that is the problem and the cause of the split bush. big bush needs to be on top to absorb more of the vibration.

the problem when its like this witch i had with mine is it makes the hole in the gearbox end egg shaped

Mixed day at Bedford on the 30thApril, started off bad...forgot the Clio's keys so had to go back and fetchthem. Got worse when on the track...the new shocks inspired no confidence whatso ever....worse than the standard ones. First 2 laps...Hmmmm not happy at all,2nd two laps handed over to the wife, Sam, slowest I've seen her drive. 5th lap(on my own) spun out at the sharp right hand turn just before the left handhairpin to the 1km back straight. Went from 80ish straight line braking, to 3rdgear, off brake, turn in and the back just lost it. Thing is there was about 6cars behind at the time, never spun off before and it's a strange feelingwatching\waiting for the impending crunch...which never came as they allmanaged to miss....

So, paid for someinstruction and got some really good feedback\instruction.

Then started the coiloveradjustment....Originally set the rear damping to halfway between full soft andfull hard....ended up 1\4 turn off full soft and think I raised the front 3times at 1cm a time(might raise another .5cm).

This made the car 1000%better and was 100mph braking (110-112mph on the 1km back straight) at the100mtr point with confidence and corner speeds very much increased.

So the last 2 hours werethe best that Sam and I have driven.

She is driving in the video with an Instructor next to her.

Last edited by a moderator:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Just proves,whatever you chuck on,it all needs setting up properly.And yes it was far too low,your driveshafts would have been at a terrible angle and your roll centre would have been way below ground level.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Just proves,whatever you chuck on,it all needs setting up properly.And yes it was far too low,your driveshafts would have been at a terrible angle and your roll centre would have been way below ground level.

Agree, need set up professionally. No point in spending four figures on suspension and not setting it up correctly.

172DD Cup
back to the dogbone, i had a reply from powerflex who tell me that it should be fitted with the taller part of the bush against the gearbox, they sent me this pic. i'm still not convinced to change mine though! i've never heard of problems with it fitted with the shorter end against the gearbox, only problems with it fitted with the taller end. here's the pic.
2mwtezl.png

apologies for the big gap after the picture, blame powerflex :rasp:

200 cup/Btm'd ph1
Maybe it was a bit twitchy because of the different ride hieghts front to back. So the front was planted and the rear was very live and active, meaning under heavy braking and lifting off it would be a handful. Higher in the front should of made the overall balance better and easier to throw about. I have my clio set-up very simular and love it, iv found the turn in super sharp like that but very twichy(especially with rear ARB on hard).

29042011170.jpg

Yes, the ride height front and rear are nearly the same now, will be raising the front .5 - Cm to make it equal and will then hopefully have the solid top mounts, arb fitted and will then get it along to Northampton Motorsports to get properly set up.

I also inquired of the fitment of the standard dog bone mount and was told that has the taller part to the top. I did have a look every time I jacked the front up to raise the ride height when at Bedford and could see no deformation, will just keep an eye on it, gave a good noticeable change to the feel of the gearbox\changes etc.

The brakes held up good too whilst at Bedford, brembo hc and red stuff pads on front & brembo standard and redstuff pads on rear and 5.1 fluid. Though still may upgrade to 4 pots (would 6 be an option either way looking at £700) over winter....as would like to brake that little bit later. Hard braking from 100 mtrs out at 100 -110mph is about as much as I dare with the current set up. Anyone pushed it further with standard brakes?

Wondering if I should replace the top and bottom engine mounts now...

172 cup, Impreza P1
I run my KW's without rear adjuster as well.... has been like that for about 2 years now and done 2 trackdays and been fine :)

Just heard from the garage who are fitting my KW's today and they are saying they cant get the back low enough. Is this the only way to do it by removing the adjuster? Is it safe enough?

I never took off the adjuster as the spring can move (safe or not is personal choice), looked at getting the adjusters cut to get extra 4mm..then thought not worth it....horses for courses. Though might change my mind if I put 15 inch wheels on to go tin topping next year (then I'll move up to AST's anyway).

Still waiting on AST top mounts, got the white line ARB and prima racing exhaust mount to fit this weekend, and off to a new track at Cottesmore (via Javelin at £129) only 20 miles down road on 28th May. Got Snetterton and cadwell booked June (easytrack pack).

Then do I submit my cup (cost 2.3k Cheap? 1 owner from new, never been tracked etc, well until I got it) to race prep, at the moment it can be put back together and sold (for more?). Though the wife would be the 2nd driver and she can drive the cup quite well...hmmmm quaife LSD 850 + vat from tweeks...cage...do able but confusious he say buy one already built....or isdoing half the fun(?) well some of the fun any way.

Lionel Richie
Maybe it was a bit twitchy because of the different ride hieghts front to back. So the front was planted and the rear was very live and active, meaning under heavy braking and lifting off it would be a handful. Higher in the front should of made the overall balance better and easier to throw about. I have my clio set-up very simular and love it, iv found the turn in super sharp like that but very twichy(especially with rear ARB on hard).

29042011170.jpg

too low at the front that car

DCi 100
You'll have to change the height when fitting solid topmounts if you still have the massive rubber ones atm anyway so I wouldn't jump at getting it weighed etc before then

ARB fitted....

whitelineARB.jpg

Comp ex mount fitted, had to use som shims as the tail pipe touched the bumper, wasn't in the cutting mood...

compexmount.jpg

compexmount1.jpg

now thinking of putting a pit in the barn......

scissorjack.jpg

Still waiting on the AST top mounts...............

Braided brake lines next....