ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

L33th3tr33's inferno winter project

So just after 2 years of fun owning my 172 cup, I hit a deer on the way home from work. Absolutely gutted isn't even close, I hated the thing so much that I just couldn't help but love it.

21008013352_5bf57ef1d6_c.jpg

So that's literally 5 mins after the incident, I eventually got round to getting parts to get it sorted. A BIG thank you to Dan Potter, Richy and Joe for providing me with parts to get it back on the road, I had a carbon bonnet laying around so all I bought was a radiator, coolant and some aerocatches and it was ready!!!

20831121079_89bf4f46b9_c.jpg

So off I went to get it MOT'd again and the whole underside of the car was soaked in oil. I was more than pissed at this point as there were no leaks in the whole month it was sat on the driveway. So back off the road it went.

I was wondering what to do at this point, I had a few ideas but kept changing my mind until I got an offer from Richy. He decided to break his turbo'd inferno and offered me a rolling shell, we settled on a price and that was that.
So this is my winter project -

20395310864_27d54dd9d0_c.jpg

20831150199_4c3105014d_c.jpg

So all I needed to do was Strip the cup, get the engine out and put all the needed bits into the inferno. I didn't have an engine crane so off to ebay and two days later I was ready.
I was planning to get up and start to get the engine out and a friend come round at some point to lend a hand, but I wanted to play with my new crane so I finished work (at midnight) grabbed a cuppa and cracked on.
I will say now that I have never removed an engine, or done anything this mechanically in depth so I went in blind for this.

Front end pulled into garage -

21018153315_8c58d3afdb_c.jpg

Most of it off at this point -

20830060640_c879f74844_c.jpg

I then found the oil leak -

21025711311_092bc67df2_c.jpg

So that's the THIRD gearbox I've gone through now. Just goes to show that deer aren't exactly lightweight!

Finally done!

20991894496_34b1a7f182_c.jpg

Now my garage isn't wide enough to get a car in, hence only having the front poking in, Plus my driveway is on a slope so that wasn't an ideal spot to be working. A couple months prior to this, I emptied the garage, it was Perfect. Now this is the state of it.

20397077773_31268c07b5_c.jpg

So now to get the last bits off the cup, like looms etc and get the engine back in and give it a general tidy up. The front bumper will need a spray, plus the bonnet has a load of chips so I'll more than likely get the front end blasted over after winter has passed.

Once again, a big thank you to
@Richy182. @Dan@SJM and also @Stopherson as they've been a big help!

Right, well I haven't really bothered to take pictures as I forgot I started this thread, but here's an update.

Now I don't like abs, and 182's have this. So I decided to do the right thing and rip it all out and reuse my lines and master cylinder. So obviously that meant a loom swap, and I was faced with swapping this horrible thing out.

8c7df1a6f1bd7f5d80b5ee39d83051e5.jpg

And I completely forgot to take the rear loom out of the 172 so naturally the two different looms wouldn't fit together..... Now this wouldn't be a problem, but this had already happened.

d3d0569387d2a34c3dd3fd409e11314f.jpg

So I had to find a rear loom, and quick..... Because the engine is going back in, in a week!
I finally sorted one and got it fitted along with the interior (no pics yet I'm afraid).

Then onto the engine.
I gave it a quick tidy up, fitted the clutch and box, and now it's ready to go in.....

e2b8778e0d95c370e6f47202636fff91.jpg

So this is now up to date.
Hopefully I'll be posting an almost finished pic on Saturday, and I'll get to see what I've buggered up (fingers crossed nothing!)

that must of been one hell of a deer!! seems to be coming along nicely though :smile:
Yep, full size f*cker! Literally came out of nowhere!

This sounds like a good thread, you building up a track car or daily?
Well the original plan was to be more track focused (but still a daily), but then a couple things...... happened, family wise. Then a couple more things happened, and now we're moving house so it needs to be driveable asap. That and the vento I have as a current daily has started to kind of..... catch alight when driven hard. 😂 So I want to feel safe again!

There's a few fancy bits planned, but all I'm going to say it will be the only one of its kind.......

Once again, Better late than never.
So me and @Stopherson managed to get the engine in, get the majority of the work done and then I was left to get the last few bits on and see if it started. It took a few tries, but eventually it started with a high idle, turned out to be the throttle body not plugged in. (there was bound to be something!)
So with that, I got the radiator etc plumbed in and filled, and got it running properly and got it back on the driveway with only a few bits left to do.

Next day I got the last few bolts that were missing and got everything bolted up, got some tyres fitted to the new wheels and got it insured, taxed and that was that!
Well, that was until I finished work and tried to start it. Immobiliser solid red. I tried the tricks I picked up from when my old key was on its way out but nothing. I checked fuses, relays, the ecu and I was stumped. Then it dawned on me that my £6 ebay code reader was in the glove box, so I plugged that in, Found the airbag and lambda code that were present before (nothing new) and cleared them. Started first time.
And with a sigh of relief I made my way home, with a massive grin on my face that I didn't have to drive the boring Vento any longer.

Cue fault code P0120.
Limp home mode.
F*ck.
Not now, please. I've got the car sorted and now it's stuck in f*cking limp mode, I might as well be driving the Vento again, it was quicker than this at least.
Tried all the usual bits, replaced everything that could with my spares, nothing.
So I text @Stopherson and he suggested swapping the two black relays around in the engine bay.

LIFE SAVER.

The Clio is back to life. And I see why @Richy182. said this thing is cursed.

So I've just been enjoying it for the minute, I haven't washed it since I got the shell (5 months) and however long it wasn't washed before that, but I went out and got a some pics regardless.
The front and rear bumpers need a respray so that's next on the list, but here's a quick pic of how it stands.

22730726655_818d1642ee_c.jpg

Clio 172 turbo
Cool mate we will have to get out and do some photos I can't wait to see what the exhaust is like

Not much has happened since the last update, just getting a few bits sorted as it's had some teething problems, one I think is the TDC sensor but seeing as I need to get the airbag light turned off on CLIP I thought I'd wait to see if it was that before I go replacing parts.
My list of bits that need doing is almost all ticked off, but the list of parts I want has grown.
A small summary of bits that need doing -
Fogs
Headlight polish
Front end respray
Rear bumper respray
New plates

And an insight to what's to come -
Black buckets or some nice recliners (none of this trendline crap)
PMS shifter
Possibly cams when the belts need doing, and either an RS2 or ITB's
Possibly boost.

And a couple pics a friend took the other night.

22933909730_103bb5b393_c.jpg

23203587326_8e56106d24_c.jpg

1504bc26668952cb1958483c6049063d.jpg

71782499f02bbf6c684b329b858a7c7e.jpg

7055a406be24f541feb5c1f06d82a030.jpg

f99bbfa804244dfe873daade4db6325e.jpg

Bent shock and tie rod, fucked door and creased quarter. The quarter is the reason it got scrapped. Still drove it home, just like the first time [emoji23]

They all come back
Feel like an (almost) middle aged guy in a little corsa but nothing compares......
This is gonna be very nice :smile:
Not going to be as lairy of a project but I do have some very nice long term plans.....
I wouldn't come back with a story like that! I'd have been scarred!!
Oh trust me, I still am. I just couldn't bring myself to get another mk2.... It's just too early! 😂