ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lack of ESP

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
my 02 172 wont have it as its too old, correct?
so does it really matter or is it something you can live without? :quiet:

/carl

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
I switch it off most of the time, does my head in... more so this time of year.

Its not that effective compaired to a driver who is fully aware and knows the best way to respond in the given road conditions.

For most of the time though its great when your half asleep.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
In June 2006, the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety in the US released a study showing that up to 10,000 fatal US crashes could be avoided annually if all vehicles were equipped with ESC The study concluded that ESC reduces the likelihood of all fatal crashes by 43 percent, fatal single-vehicle crashes by 56 percent, and fatal single-vehicle rollovers by 77-80 percent. ESC is described as the most important advance in auto safety since the seat belt by many experts.

Those numbers include SUVs where the benefit is very high, but even just for cars the benefits in reducing the risk of crashes and deaths are substantial.

But you're a young male sporty car driver. So you don't care about safety. You're not going to crash. You know that people like you have the highest risk of crashing and killing yourself on the roads, but its not going to happen to you. Only to someone else.

You only care about handling. You don't need ESC because you're a better driver than everyone else on the road, except perhaps Lewis Hamilton (who just lost his licence in France).

/carl

It may have it. My old 02 plate 172 had it. Was a July 2002 car. I think it was introduced as standard in July 2002.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

/carl

It may have it. My old 02 plate 172 had it. Was a July 2002 car. I think it was introduced as standard in July 2002.

mine was registered in april 2002 so highly unlikely it will have it :dapprove:

/carl

You'll be in a hedge in no time then!! ;)

To be fair, the only time it's come in usefull for me on the road is the traction control part of it stopping the front wheels from spinning in the wet.

Though the full ESP saved my arse on track around combe, as the back end stepped out and the car just sorted itself as I sat there begining to cry.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
lol thanks for the confidence :D
yeah im going to be super careful anyway as it will only be my 2nd year of driving when it comes to insuring it. Possibly a good thing that i know if i push the car to far there is nothing to save me.

/carl

You'll be fine. There's no need for the esp if driving sensibly (sp) on the roads. Most turn it off anyway as it can be intrusive.

To be fair, the only time it's come in usefull for me on the road is the traction control part of it stopping the front wheels from spinning in the wet.

Though the full ESP saved my arse on track around combe, as the back end stepped out and the car just sorted itself as I sat there begining to cry.

Are you sure esp controls the rear wheels? I know it helps understeer i wasnt aware it controlled rear wheels too

Are you sure esp controls the rear wheels? I know it helps understeer i wasnt aware it controlled rear wheels too

It controls all 4 wheels. Dabs the brakes on the rear if it needs to to correct the path of the car.