ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lacking in power

Clio 3
Hello
We have just purchased a 2006 Clio 3 1.6 16v for a cheap run around but it’s lacking in power especially up hills, any ideas would be appreciated before we take it to the garage

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hello
We have just purchased a 2006 Clio 3 1.6 16v for a cheap run around but it’s lacking in power especially up hills, any ideas would be appreciated before we take it to the garage
Use a lower gear, but seriously. What's the issue? Any flashing EML?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Is it definitely broke, or is it just slow?

Any other symptoms at all? Rough idle? Missing? Etc

Clio 3
It’s fine to drive on the flat but we live in the mountains and when going up hill at 30 mph it seems to struggle in 2nd gear, it idles fine and doesn’t seem to be missing

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
It’s fine to drive on the flat but we live in the mountains and when going up hill at 30 mph it seems to struggle in 2nd gear, it idles fine and doesn’t seem to be missing
It's not going to be great up a hill at 30mph anyway really!

Clio 3
It's hard to say without getting it plugged in. Could be a number of things. Has it been serviced recently?
That’s my first step it’s going into the garage for a full service and maybe a bottle of cataclean and then I’ll see what it’s like

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Has it had a timing belt? MK3 uses the VVT engine, it's a similar setup to the 2.0 16v, timing could be out.
They are a reasonably pokey engine so it should feel fine to drive