ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lager Calipers

Do calippers from a Megane og Laguna fit my 16v? Are they eny bigger? I dont want eny lager disks than standard on my car, but a bigger pad would be nice...

best way to increase your stopping power is by increasing the effectivness of the pad, ie high performance pads, or increasing the size of the disk - the larger the disk the more force the brakes will have putting it simply.

not sure but i doubt there would be larger brakes on a laguna or a megane in there standard form, probably similar size ( correct me if im wrong)

... get a big brake conversion ( i know you said you dont want one) from Ktec or uprate your standard disks ad pads( Ktec can sort that aswell!!)

I already have uprated disks, happy with them. I want to keep the size of the disks so I can keep running my 15" Dunlop Formula R tires. So no big brake kit for me...

Enybody fitted calipers from eny other car?

Renault Laguna Sports

Caliper and disc size are usually matched, so you cant fit a bigger caliper than what you have.

You can still get a big brake conversion on your 15"s!

Standard disc are 258mm, and K-Tecs Big Brake Conversion use 285mm discs i.e. still fit under 15" alloys.

i was reading fast car, one of the focuss last month had large discs and used big porsche brakes. not sure what work is needed for that.

yep mine are 15s and ive got the big brake conversion....

only thing is if there the standard phase 2 16v wheels you will need to space them out by 8mm, otherwise the caliper will strike the alloy, it only cost me about £20 to get the spacers and longer bolts in the end.

as far as im aware these are the ony wheels that have this problem cos of there design, when i had my 8spokes on there it was fine without.

looks alot better aswell and its easy enough to fit if you are a little handy with a spanner.

or maybe a uprated caliper, ie 4pots/6pots... if your on the track your going to seethe benefit there, again i think Ktec do all that.

My main conserns about fitting a conversion is what do I do when I warp my disks? I run my car hard, and brakes do get broken from time to time. With my standard size disks it is easy to get a replacement.

From what car does the 285mm disks come from? I see it is solid?

god knows but Ktec source them from somewhere and presumably can advise where to get them, or supply themselves. I know what you mean cos i though that.

the disks are drilled and vented, not solid... they are thicker then standard and i founf them to be mental at first, now im used to them its fine but driving with the standard brakes doesnt appeal to me now.

spose that could be down to the pads aswell but i did have reddot fast road pads in before i swapped the brakes and they were good, so the BIg brakes are spot on.

ABS etc is unaffected if you have it.

what do you think caught my eye in the first place!

ahh, no then its solid.... there 4potkit has the centre disk though, not sure if the one i saw my of been for the 172 though.

Any1 considered that bigger disks are gonna increase the weight of ya wheels? = more momentum = less acceleration and deceleration (before taking the actual increased braking into acount) also heavier unsprung weight = decreased suspension. Sorry for being a geek.:sick:

You can fit bigger discs, youll need a bracket to move the caliper though. You could get some grooved, vented (or drilled if you dont go on track) discs which would be bigger (285mm will fit under 15s) and i doubt theyd weigh much more than the OE solid discs...you wouldnt be able to tell the diff anyway.

-Rob

MEgae coupe calipers and clio 172 calipers are the same, discs i assume too. But neither of them bolt straight onto a 16V stub. YOu would need to mame a mouting bracket which would take about an hr or so if you have the equipment.