ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lambda sensors?

2003 Clio 172
I'm looking at replacing my pre cat lambda sensor to see if it solves my car's hesitation when cold. Where is the cheapest place to get a decent one? I've seen Bosch ones on ebay for just under £50, while euro car parts want nearly £100 ? Also, are both the pre and post car lambda's the same part, or is there a difference? Thanks.

2003 Clio 172
Worth getting them checked first?

What’s the symptoms

Ai, probably. Is there a way for them to be physically tested? Car was on clip a little while ago and showed nothing.

Symptoms are only when cold until temp gauge rises a couple of marks. Car is holding back and possibly missing slightly. On a chilly morning sometimes won't start on first crank, although always second time. Once the engine has got some temperature in it it's all fine. Timing has been checked, and although it was out slightly its fine now. I guess other culprits could be plugs, leads, coil pack, etc, but I'm guessing it would run like cr*p all the time if they were to blame, not just when cold? ?

I know 172's are notorious for rough running when cold, however I'm pretty sure the car wasn't doing it until recently...

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
How long you had the car?

Allways been like that?.

chances are it will be normal, to a point.

2003 Clio 172
How long you had the car?

Allways been like that?.

chances are it will be normal, to a point.

Had it for a couple of months. I'm not 100% as always nurse the car a bit from cold anyway, although I don't recall it being this noticeable until recently. From what I've read it does seem to be a pretty common trait (something to do with passing emissions regs I think). I plan on replacing plugs and leads over the summer as general maintenance. Don't really want to fork out for lambda sensors if it's unlikely to make any difference ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Efi in Runcorn are very popular, but it’s a drive, worth it though mate.

More specific to your car over a tuner.

Have read about the tuner being an issue recently which is a shame as it does suit some

2003 Clio 172
Efi in Runcorn are very popular, but it’s a drive, worth it though mate.

More specific to your car over a tuner.

Have read about the tuner being an issue recently which is a shame as it does suit some

Yeah, it is a shame as plug and play can be a definite advantage sometimes.

Thanks for advice ?

2003 Clio 172
I don't think I'd rule out an RS tuner completely. A lot of the issues seem to be regarding people buying second hand ones, so would need to buy new if I did.

2003 Clio 172
Love how this has gone from checking the lambda to a full on remap ?

Ha, a bit like buying my Clio as a cheapish runaround and then slowly but surely having plans to spend a few grand on it over the next few years. Funny how they do that to you ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Starting on 2nd attempt when cold will be weak fuel pressure regulator. Mine does it - pump does not prime first turn of the ign and non start or very rough start/conk out. When turning key 2nd time the pump primes and it fires up no bother. Try it next time you cold start, crack ign on and turn off, turn on again pump will prime and it should fire straight up.

Quite common from what i read - i think the rstuner maps prime the pump every time ign is on or new pump/fpr to cure it.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Perhaps a little late - you seem to have been lured wildly off topic by mention of a remap ?

I have just bought two lambda sensors from here:
https://www.cartech-one.co.uk - with correct Bosch part number of 0258006046 (as far as i'm aware, this is correct for both). This company was by far the cheapest place for claimed genuine Bosch lambdas - Will let people know if they are not genuine or don't arrive!

2003 Clio 172
Starting on 2nd attempt when cold will be weak fuel pressure regulator. Mine does it - pump does not prime first turn of the ign and non start or very rough start/conk out. When turning key 2nd time the pump primes and it fires up no bother. Try it next time you cold start, crack ign on and turn off, turn on again pump will prime and it should fire straight up.

Quite common from what i read - i think the rstuner maps prime the pump every time ign is on or new pump/fpr to cure it.

Tried this morning and it worked. Turned ignition on, off then turned key and started first time ?

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Tried this morning and it worked. Turned ignition on, off then turned key and started first time ?
People say this is due to the fpr loosing pressure over time, but im not convinced, as this should not cause the pump not to come on and prime the system, which is the problem, I've tried two pumps/fpr's and mine is still the same as you describe, terrible when cold and sometimes requires second flick of the key, no codes, timing is bang on, well serviced and goes like funk for a standard cup, french s**t ha

2003 Clio 172
People say this is due to the fpr loosing pressure over time, but im not convinced, as this should not cause the pump not to come on and prime the system, which is the problem, I've tried two pumps/fpr's and mine is still the same as you describe, terrible when cold and sometimes requires second flick of the key, no codes, timing is bang on, well serviced and goes like funk for a standard cup, french s**t ha

It's a strange one alright. Quirks of French cars I guess lol

dan's cast offs.

Pump doesn't prime on first ignition, does it second time.

Have had a few now with similar problems.

AS1

1.4 16V and 1.4 RN
Starting on 2nd attempt when cold will be weak fuel pressure regulator. Mine does it - pump does not prime first turn of the ign and non start or very rough start/conk out. When turning key 2nd time the pump primes and it fires up no bother. Try it next time you cold start, crack ign on and turn off, turn on again pump will prime and it should fire straight u.

Wouldn't a weak fuel pump relay cause the same symptoms?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Pump doesn't prime on first ignition, does it second time.

Have had a few now with similar problems.

Does the rs tuner map make the pump prime every click of ign ? Im sure i read it somewhere.

Been sniffing about for a replacement intank reg but not found anything yet to save buying the full sender.

dan's cast offs.
Does the rs tuner map make the pump prime every click of ign ? Im sure i read it somewhere.

Been sniffing about for a replacement intank reg but not found anything yet to save buying the full sender.

think it does change it to prime first turn of ignition. reg is just a generic one, should be easy to sort a replacement.

check injectors as weak injector can give similar issues.