ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop Help

Punto/Clio GTT
im sure i jinx f**king EVERYTHING

anyway, laptop wont turn on, thought it was dead battery so plugged charger in and it dont seem to be getting warm?

tried taking out battery and putting back in, tried changing fuse, just getting an orange flashing light when i hit the power button.

ideas?

dead battery? its 14 months old hp530

cheers

172cup
does your battery have a charge status/indicator lights on the back of the actual battery?

Normally a little button needs to be pressed to see the lights.

i it running vista? my hp laptop wouldnt turn on couple of months after i bought it was doing my head in anyway it kept reoccuring in the end they fixed it and said it was a problem with vista quite common apparently and it was due to it not loading properly

Audi TTS S Tronic
It cannot be anything to do with the Operating System. Just because vista doesn't want to load, doesn't mean that it won't turn on. Don't believe anything that retailers tell you when they fix your computer, they make up a load of crap usually to make it look like it isn't their fault.

If it was Vista's fault, it would still turn on, boot to the BIOS, then restart upon loading Vista...

Sounds like either a charger, or a battery problem to me :)

They replaced the power cable and battery at first because they said it was that but that still didnt work. HP's help is useless anyway repair place was like 3 miles from me yet i had to speak to a woman in india who was telling me it can take 2 weeks to get the laptop back after theyve repaired it lol

As above, it's deifinitely definitely nothing to do with the OS. If it's not even powering on and loading the BIOS then it's most probably just fucked. The s**t that some of these stores and so called experts, spin off, is beyond belief.

Audi TTS S Tronic
I have heard of this problem when I was working in IT actually.

I think something on the motherboard was screwed when we sent it off to the retailer and they sent a brand new laptop because it's much easier for them to do that, than replacing the motherboard :)

Punto/Clio GTT
only light thats coming on is the orange flashing light on the front when i press the power on button

there is power going to the charger as when i plug it in slowly you can hear that electricity crackle

Audi TTS S Tronic
Even if the batterys knackered, most laptops still turn on when plugged into the mains.

Most OLD laptops :)

The newer laptops, if the battery is screwed, won't turn on :)

Reason being, is because the power still flows through the battery then into the laptop

Try it off the mains without the battery plugged in if its old

But as I said before, I bet something on the motherboard is fried

Any powercuts recently?

Punto/Clio GTT
pretty sure they come with 1 year warranty?

and its 14 months old so just out of warranty :\

tried without charger, same thing, orange flashing light

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Sounds like the battery is toast. I would replace it with a known good battery to see if that fixes the problem. (or possibly run it from mains without battery inserted - if it will) Batteries only last for 2-3 years but they age on the shelf.

Punto/Clio GTT
Sounds like the battery is toast. I would replace it with a known good battery to see if that fixes the problem. (or possibly run it from mains without battery inserted - if it will) Batteries only last for 2-3 years but they age on the shelf.

yea tried

no flashing light without battery in

are all hp batteries universal then? do i just get a HP battery off ebay and try it?

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Try removing the memory and reseating it into the slots as this stops some of the HPs from turning on.

Although if a HP or Compaq laptop refuses to turn on and just blinks the power light at you the motherboard is usually at fault and its fooked.

Audi TTS S Tronic
needs to be the same AMP and Voltage ;)

If yours is a 2 pin connector from mains to your charger, you need a 2 pin.. if its 3 pin, you need a 3 pin

Also, make sure that the end going to your laptop is the same ;)

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Try removing the memory and reseating it into the slots as this stops some of the HPs from turning on.

Although if a HP or Compaq laptop refuses to turn on and just blinks the power light at you the motherboard is usually at fault and its fooked.

flashing Orange light is usually the battery, afaik.

u could try a battery from eBay, i got one for my old Dell notebook, seems to be ok. its a slightly different shade of grey than the original tho lol.

just do a eBay search for ur laptop (i.e. HP530 Battery) and it will find summit. probably be a after market, and around £10.

Punto/Clio GTT
sent an email to HP customer support, told them i bought it last year sometime, hopefully theyll have it back without me having to buy it battery/mobo etc worth a try anyway

thanks for help

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
sent an email to HP customer support, told them i bought it last year sometime, hopefully theyll have it back without me having to buy it battery/mobo etc worth a try anyway

thanks for help

sometimes certain parts have different warranties.

i know my power supply has a 4 year warranty lol (but then i did build it myself, so i have individual warranties for the bits)

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
flashing Orange light is usually the battery, afaik.

u could try a battery from eBay, i got one for my old Dell notebook, seems to be ok. its a slightly different shade of grey than the original tho lol.

just do a eBay search for ur laptop (i.e. HP530 Battery) and it will find summit. probably be a after market, and around £10.

I dont see why the battery would stop it from working though if its removed. Ive yet to see a laptop that must have the battery in the machine to work.