ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Launching An RT

Today me and a mate went to this bit of disused road to give our cars a quick blast.

A) i cant get my car moving fast from a standstill
B) theres a problem switching to second..

A) - how do you all launch your RTs? Build the power slow, or drop the clutch out at a certain rev point? cheers
B) - when i took the car to the "redline" (its actually white on the RT lol) then out the car into second, the car sat on the redline in second for a good 3 seconds, revving like goodn, not gaining or losing any power - just revving like a mofo. figgure the clutch slipped- its done this same thing a few times now. any tips?

thanks all

Think the same happened to me, well over revved first, then put it into second and it just revved, Im sure I just made a rookie error like leave my foot semi in the clutch lol

But there isnt a fine art its a 1.4, no worries with wheel spin lol

Right first off the over revvin when u changin gear means your Clutch is on its way out, not too bad if ur doin it 0-60 but its a good indicator that it doesnt have much life left in it

secondly i find that jus a normal 2.5k pull off is fine then gun it once the clutch is up

0-60 = 10.0 last time i tried about 5 months ago with my bro in the car and had all my interior (unstripped out)

The problem switching to second will go away if you put automatic transmittion fluid or good quality synthetic in the gearbox. I could be talking sh*t here but IMHO with an 8v engine its best to gradually apply the throttle once the car is moving then hammer it. 8v has a lot more torque than a 16v at lower revs and i think you will bust something dumping the clutch. change early in 1st about 4k but leave it in the other gears right upto the 6k mark.

Hope mines not out on 28K!

Isnt a good test to cruise along at 15/20mph put it into 5th and floor the gass and see if the revs rise?!

Dudelove: nope!

Breakout: Yes that is one test, cant really tell unless u take it out which u might as well change it while ur there

scibbler: Best off changin at more 6.8k in 2nd if u doin 0-60 as this will get u to 57 mph

oh balls, cheers for the info anyway.

how much would i be looking at for parts? as my next door enighbours either side are both mechanics...

when going for it i always change gear just before i hit the limiter hehe. i like hitting the limiter a little though as my exhaust pops like f**k when i do :D

Why isnt it good for the car? Surely its designed to go up to that point, but not any further.. heh.

Quote: Originally posted by Essex_Lad on 01 March 2004

Breakout: Yes that is one test, cant really tell unless u take it out which u might as well change it while ur there

scibbler: Best off changin at more 6.8k in 2nd if u doin 0-60 as this will get u to 57 mph

6.8k? the limiter is a 6.5k mate. plus im sure not everyones car pulls well right up to the limiter anyway?

mine never used to pull well past 5.5k before i modded the exhaust and filter. now it pulls very well up to 6ish then falls off over it.

of-course you can wheelspin a 1.4 esp with w**k contis.

with my 1.2 RL i just reved its b****cks of and lauched it in first. God, its so much more fun ragging those 1.2 RLs than bigger engines and the tyres cost sod all, so a bit of wheelspin hear and there doesnt matter.

Quote: Originally posted by RTvalver on 02 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Essex_Lad on 01 March 2004

6.8k? the limiter is a 6.5k mate. plus im sure not everyones car pulls well right up to the limiter anyway?

mine never used to pull well past 5.5k before i modded the exhaust and filter. now it pulls very well up to 6ish then falls off over it.
Thats funny mine goes to 6.8k

well mines stripped out totally, exhaust system and Ik (vent straight to it) so mine will pull all the way

like i said 6k is about right but dont leave it in first though its a waste of time there should be enough torque to rip through second gear from the 8v. 6k on the 1.4 spi energy is about where peek bhp and torque cross and if you had a optimum gear change light it would flash @ 6k

Suzuki SV650

I used to launch my 1.4 RT at 3.5-4k, change at just over 5k in 1st, every other gear used to change when the rev needle hit 5.5k-6k. Thou that would prolly b different cus I have 16v dials in my RT! (So add a tad more on those above figures!;))

Skoda Fabia vRS

i got a clutch change on my RT for £150, on a Saturday !........

but thats because i got my clutch cheap workin at Motor World, and the mechanic did me a favour

Beat an MG ZR 105 the other day, set off at about 3000, dumped the clutch (could smell it a bit afterwards so I dont fancy doing that again!), change at about 4.5k cause that way it drops straight back into the power band :)