ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leak down test results

Ph1
My Clio 172 has been losing oil over a long period of time after a rebuild using 2nd hand pistons a few years ago, no noticeable smoke and not dropping oil out from the engine.
Got my mate to do a leak down test and here are the results:

Cylinder 1 - 152 psi 3% loss
Cylinder 2 - 149 psi 2% loss
Cylinder 3 -. 154 psi 2% loss
Cylinder 4 -. 156 psi 2 % loss

Seem a bit low but consistent? I want to supercharge it. Should I just carry on ? Or do these results point towards needing a engine rebuild first? Engines coming up to 190k lol.

Cheers

Ph1
No mate it was just pistons and a re-hone. It's been like this for like 5 years plus now and the oil loss only started from the day the pistons were changed. (Engine dropped a bearing reason for pistons change)

Ph1
I don't think the rings were done no as the pistons were taken from a engine with only 14k on the clock. Again the measuring I'm not sure. It was done at rs tunings dad's place.
I would have said it must be related to the pistons / block but there is no smoke what so ever and the leak down test looks good apart from being low.

What is your oil consumption like?

IIRC my valver did a litre of oil per 1000 miles - my understanding is that it's just what they did, nothing really wrong - so if it's that or under, I wouldn't stress too much.

Ph1
I would say it's about a litre to 1000 miles. It never drank a single drop if oil till the rebuild.

It's due it's cambelt so will get the head refurbished but it's just the bottom end which is the question, whether to risk it or rebuild that