ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

leak from engine bay

Good evening guys and girls,

Got a problem with my ph2 172. Hadn't started car since Friday night, and has been a cold weekend here. Went to start the car for work this morning, and what looks like water was streaming (fairly majorly) from under the car, with a very strange noise coming from heater matrix direction.

After a bit of inspection under the engine bay I had but my money on a coolant leak at the heater matrix.

But here comes my dilemna - my coolant level hasn't dropped. Also, my coolant is dyed, and the liquid is seems clear (very dark so hard to see).

Secondly, the liquid only comes out when heating is on (not necessarily AC), regarldess of whether engine is on or not. In my eyes, they rule out a coolant leak @ heater matrix.

Now my thoughts are on an air conditioning coolant leak. (Stupid question) I assume coolant is liquid at normal temperatures? Secondly, does it have a smell/colour? (This looks very like water)

And why would it only leak when the heater matrix is on, even if AC is off?

As said earlier, it's very hard to see where leak is coming from in the dark, and car is hard to see under, but the leak seems to be coming from just behind brake fluid reservoir. (heater matrix?) No leaks to car interior.

Anybody have any ideas? And if so, is the car OK to drive ~4miles to a garage?

Ideally, I'd like to use the car tonight, so any light anybody has to offer would be very gratefully received!!

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,
Richard

Megane dci 130
Could be 1 of two things imo.

Condensation from the evaporator in the airbox

Or the big rubber drain for the scuttle chamber is partially bolcked.

Hi there! Thanks for quick reply!

In the end, I took the risk and drove it to a heated and lit garage without the heater on (and hence no leak).

To be honest I'd never thought of the scuttle chamber. Is there a reason why this would leak specifically when the heater is on?

Also not so sure what you mean condensation from the evaporator in the airbox- I assume you mean a AC coolant leak from the AC evaporator/ heat exchanger?

Tomorrow, with a bit more time on my hands, I'll get the car up on a ramp and have a good scout about.

Thanks for your help! Most appreciated! Any other ideas, please keep them coming!

Kind regards,
Richard