ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaking oil sandwich plate

I fitted an oil sandwich plate (r-tech one I think off ebay) with my oil temp/pressure sensors in it

It came with a rubber gasket that fits between the block and the sandwich plate - but when its warm it's leaking quite a bit of oil on my driveway :banghead:

I'm taking the ITB's off this week to fit my carbon airbox and while I can get to the oil filter easily I want to fix it
I definitely tightened the sandwich plate on using a socket with quite a bit of torque - the only thing I didn't do was clean the face up on the block first
Is this likely to cause it? If I clean the mating face up and refit will it stop

Or can I use a bit of instant gasket on the rubber seal and then bolt it on to try to stop the leak?

Cheers

CBR1K, F21 125D
I always try and use a double o-ring design for this reason!

Hope you get it sorted.

CBR1K, F21 125D
n1476766445_30266484_3625550.jpg

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
is this one of the anodised blue ones? very common to see that gasket tear when the center bolt is tightened

Arghh just seen there are some that use a double o-ring design
Looks LOADS better - it was an absolute pain trying to get the flat oil seal to stay in the right place while I was tightening it up

$(KGrHqQOKioE32UP7RJoBOGwBNSEYg~~_12.jpg

Might have to get one of those

Althought saying that - the actual sandwich plate looks the same it just seems to use 2 o-rings instead of the weird flat thing that came with the plate

CBR1K, F21 125D
Merlin motorsport do a single o ring design but its CHUNKY.

:approve:

surely lots of people on here have used these? Burp etc?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I wouldn't go with a sandwich plate (not had good luck with them) I'd used a T-piece from the standard pressure switch position

I've taken the sandwich plate off - it's definitely leaking from the rubber gasket between plate and block

The only thing I could see was that the the nut holding the plate on was not particularly tight - I'm not sure if that's because the rubber seal compressed - or if I undid it slightly while trying to remove the oil filter

But I've done it up "f*cking tight" now - to the point where the rubber gasket is bulging out the sides - hopefully that will solve the problem
If not I'm gonna have to get a different type or try to make a t-piece with 3 connectors on :(

I think I may have made a massive N00B mistake!!

Reading a guide on fitting these it says to use teflon tape on the threads of the sensors and on the blanking plug in the spare hole
I didn't use any as none came with the kit - could it be that the oil is leaking out past the threads??? :(

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
could be yes, I believe they are straight threads on the plate, and usually a tapered thread on the sensors, so they wont go tight until they bottom out. As I said befor though, I dont use them as I really don't get on with them

Aye just read the instructions and it says PTFE tape LOL

The threads don't bottom out - they stick out quite a bit so I guess that's my issue

519 - I know what you're saying but Fred has used them loads of times without issue so if I can get it to work I will do - It's just a bit neater solution and leaves space for a custom airbox I'm planning with Reverie

182cup & 172 racecar
Make sure you wrap it around the threads the right way, otherwise it will unwind itself when you put it in.