ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaving your Clio sat unused for long periods of time

Clio 172 cup
Looking for some advise/ideas
My car rarely gets used at the moment since getting a new company van. Looking for advise on best ways to store the car avoiding common problems. Ideally the car would be sat in a garage but I don't have acces to one. Im looking at getting a decent cover? Any one know of the best place to get one? I had no problems until I went out to check on the car today and notice mould starting to appear inside the car. Could this only be caused by a leak? Or condensation?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Mould is caused from damp,possible leak these cars are 10 years plus.Careful with car covers as can cause blistering on paint.Every few days start it up and use the brakes a bit to stop them going orange and seizing over time.

Clio 172 cup

Cheers for the links, and yeah has been sitting on driveway for a couple of months already. Probly be sat for a couple more while I get it sorted for mot. After that it will be more intermittent use I guess and will use it when I get the chance!

Clio 172 cup
It's more the damp that's bothering me tbh, had a look at the seal around the rear passenger window doesn't look great. and top corner of windscreen has peeled up a little. Are these easy to fix?

I personally wouldn't bother to go and start it every few days.

I've one car which regularly gets left for several months at a time and all I do is leave the handbrake off (put it in gear) and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

It will be fine.

I left my Clio a month without using it, doesn't seem that long but it started first time straight away with no resistance and everything seems fine

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
My car has been stood since September and not been used.
I have a cover on it to try to keep the worst of the rain off to stop potential leaking. I also use thoise moisture traps inside it. Car is also started and left for about 20/30mins on tick over every week when I go home. Still sounds fine.
Left with the hand brake off and in gear. But the discs have gone orange, but hoping they will clean up after using it for a bit.
When it goes back on the road this month I think it needs a good blast once warm and up to temp to help blow the cob webs out of it!

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Ive found the clio to be a mould magnet when stood still. calipers stiffen often too from what i can recall, even with handbrake off and left in gear

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
granted my trophy is in a heated garage but I take it out for half an hour once a month to keep it freed up, always starts no problem and not had any issues, left my ph1 sitting outside for 6 months that year we had a bad winter loads of snow etc and it was fine bar some mould