ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LED HEADLIGHTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio Rs 200T
Not sure if this is in the right thread but has anyone got led headlights? I'm looking to buy some but don't know the best ones to get, if any at all. Also what do you think about them are they worth it?

Fiesta ST2 MP215
You can't just buy the bulbs, you'd need to find someone breaking a 172 / 182 non Cup, they go for about £150 a pair complete inc bulbs in general.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
No, you can also get pulled from putting the bulbs in with a HID kit, just get the whole lamps, looks so much better.

you could also look at buying a HID kit, my cup had one already fitted when i bought it and they look identical to the xenons. About 30-40 quid on eBay, not sure on what K would be the right ones to order though.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
How much are the lamps?

Mental money new, £150 for a second hand set, widely available in the sales section on here once you sign up and part with £12 to the CS mansion fund.

and don't bother with a HID kit, they look shite, they are also illegal, for the sake of £150 it isn't worth the untold hassle a pissed off copper will give you, everyone on here will join this thread shortly and say the same as me and the others will say " I've had mine on for ages and never had a problem and I've got an MOT too" and the like, ignore that.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
you could also look at buying a HID kit, my cup had one already fitted when i bought it and they look identical to the xenons. About 30-40 quid on eBay, not sure on what K would be the right ones to order though.

They also blind everyone else on the road who is coming the other way, plus illegal. 4300K is std clio Xenon rating, most people however use either 5k and 6k, I use 6K because I like the Pikey Blue tint.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
FFS not again. HID kits will pass MOTs as long as the beam pattern is correct. Which requires projectors.

Yes they will pass an MOT, all the MOT is required to check is the alignment nothing else, completely different to being legal.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I wouldn't get LED headlights. They're not suited to the reflector style lenses on a Clio.

HID's are a much better bet. Don't get a kit off eBay or anything like that though, it's illegal to fit these in the standard reflector lenses and will fail an MOT.

Clio Rs 200T
Mental money new, £150 for a second hand set, widely available in the sales section on here once you sign up and part with £12 to the CS mansion fund.

and don't bother with a HID kit, they look s**te, they are also illegal, for the sake of £150 it isn't worth the untold hassle a pissed off copper will give you, everyone on here will join this thread shortly and say the same as me and the others will say " I've had mine on for ages and never had a problem and I've got an MOT too" and the like, ignore that.

Jeez £150 for lamps more then I thought yeah ill be signing up for a membership soon. I am not going to put on illegal headlamps only been driving for a month lol.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I know that they don't meet type approval, but they will pass MOTs, and a copper is unlikely to do you for having them if they are fitted properly and you aren't being an utter dick. They're told to concentrate on HIDs fitted to reflector lamps.

(EDIT: Reflectors + HIDs will fail MOTs.)

They also blind everyone else on the road who is coming the other way, plus illegal. 4300K is std clio Xenon rating, most people however use either 5k and 6k, I use 6K because I like the Pikey Blue tint.

i did not know this, although i haven't done any night time driving to piss anyone off but i think they'll be coming off sooner rather than later then.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Jeez £150 for lamps more then I thought yeah ill be signing up for a membership soon. I am not going to put on illegal headlamps only been driving for a month lol.

If a young driver don't, if you get pulled for something silly and the copper see's you are new by your license date he could turn into a right c**t.... Xenon lamps just look the best, £ for £ is just worth it for the look alone imo, plus no insurance issues either, they are a factory item, HID kit in a night time crash ( getting dark with winter being here ) you could end up being rape by your insurers

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Are you trolling, or just plain stupid?

The bulbs he linked will work in his current headlights, and are not illegal as they are e marked.

Thomas Seriously stop being such a fucktard now, I suggest you look into it more, Emarked yes they are legal for Xenon lamps, doesn't make it ok to put them in a reflector lamp, End of, use the internet and check this out properly before giving out s**t advice to new members and new drivers.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Just read the link. FLOL.

Harbinger, they're conventional bulbs and they're fine.

No, they are Emarked and they are OK to put in a Xenon Lamp, not to put in a Reflector unit, there is the difference, Ebay advert will not stop you getting done for this.

Thomas Seriously stop being such a f**ktard now, I suggest you look into it more, Emarked yes they are legal for Xenon lamps, doesn't make it ok to put them in a reflector lamp, End of, use the internet and check this out properly before giving out s**t advice to new members and new drivers.

Them bulbs he linked ARE NOT DESIGNED TO GO IN PROJECTOR UNITS ffs, they are not proper xenon bulbs

FYI, I have had them bulbs for circa two years, never been pulled and no one has ever complained about me blinding them. Also they are no brighter than standard bulbs, just more of a whitey/blue tint.

Nothing like HID's or Xenons

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thomas Seriously stop being such a f**ktard now, I suggest you look into it more, Emarked yes they are legal for Xenon lamps, doesn't make it ok to put them in a reflector lamp, End of, use the internet and check this out properly before giving out s**t advice to new members and new drivers.

Flol, the bulbs the OP linked to on ebay are standard refelctor lense bulbs, filled with xenon gas. They're completely legal to run in reflector lenses. There's a big difference between a xenon gas filled bulb and a High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulb. I suggest you
get your facts straight before jumping down other people's throats.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
All I can say is don't come crying on CS when you get done, tell you what, go to the Seller and ask him for a Guarantee on this. he will just refer you to the product manufacturer and take no responsibility, All Xenon Bulbs have to be HID other wise they will not ignite in a conventional bulb ( hence why they only exist in this matter and no one has found these date ) remarkably everyone is trusting in Ebay today

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Slightly off the OP topic, but where does this idea that the MoT manual mentions HIDs and reflectors are not acceptable?
FFS it doesn't same way Racing tyes with sufficient tread will pass the MOT but be illegal on the road, it's not part of the test and an MOT tester is not allowed to make calls on the regulation.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
All I can say is don't come crying on CS when you get done, tell you what, go to the Seller and ask him for a Guarantee on this. he will just refer you to the product manufacturer and take no responsibility, All Xenon Bulbs have to be HID other wise they will not ignite in a conventional bulb ( hence why they only exist in this matter and no one has found these date ) remarkably everyone is trusting in Ebay today

You confusing Xenon filled filament bulbs with gas discharge (HID). There is a distinct difference.

100% must be trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.